Jean-Baptiste Augustin, rogue ex-Talon officer, deadly medic... future support?

Alright, so for those who havent seen it, Blizz released an extract from a Talon captain who went MIA.

They’ve found back her log and you can read the last entry (cant post link but check Twitter).

Anyways, it all seems to point out to Jean-Baptiste Augustin being a future support in the game I’d say… and maybe Tortuga to be a map, but that may be a stretch.

That sounds French, but I’m not hoping he is (I’m French, we already got Widow !), so I hope he’s Canadian (Quebec maybe) or African (from a francophone country)…

Let’s wait and see…

EDIT : he could be Belgium or Swiss as well, but I wouldnt say no to Africa being more reprenseted (Senegal, Cameroon…)

Moderation note - removed bad language from the post.

1 Like

I’m gonna take a wild guess and say that it’s actually the writer
D. Cuerva

Yeah, he could very well be a red-herring actually…

Or as someone pointed out elsewhere… someone else entirely… someone with Baptiste on Tortuga…

I’d really like Tortuga to be a map !

He said “tortuga lies accross the canal. A dark, rocky shape against the sky”. tortuga is “turtle” in spanish, but I’d assume it a ship (flying ship) of some sorts. If not, some large fortress that takes up a large portion of the skyline.

2 Likes

Remember : they teased Orisa with Doomfist escape, and they teased Brigitte with Operation Withe Dome and Erme Sarioglu

1 Like

I want to point out that it mentions that “Baptiste was built to survive”. While I know that I’ve used that phrase, built to survive, towards humans and animals before, and it could be just metaphorical… Part of my wants to wonder if this is hinting at him potentially being an Omnic. Second Omnic support possibly, but Talon affiliated?

2 Likes

Seems like the update provides some new details / names to go on, but only time will tell if these are solid. I’m guessing they are part of the background story, setting the stage for the eventual reveal.

It’s nice to have some new updates though. Been a while.

1 Like

Tortuga is an actual place in Haiti. It is not going to be a flying ship but IS a cool place that tons of actual piracy and stuff took place in history. It is basically a very rocky/fortress-like tiny island like you mentioned.

I think it is VERY likely that the new Archives event will take place here. Since Blizz is smart enough to double-dip on map making I bet we get the map as a Hybrid style? Hero 30 is most likely this Support medic guy. I am betting on Haiti as nationality which is cool imo and definitely explains the name. The “built” language suggests (especially with Talon involved) that he is a Cyborg for some reason to me more than an Omnic .

PIRATES OF THE CARIBBEAN REFERENCES CONFIRMED.

Also I am guessing that the letter describing the operation to retrieve this Jean-Baptiste Augustine will be the operation we play through in this year’s Archives event.

If he is hiding out in Haiti he might be from Haiti, in which case his French name is very normal. French and Haitian Creole (which is based on French) are the official languages of Haiti, and many people there have French names.

Probably French Swedish.

Def a healer. Is a good shot so uses a gun like Ana?

WE HAVE A MALE SUPPORT WHOO

But it also mentions him drinking Rum, and I thought Omnics only drink that special Oil that is promoted on Numbani?

Jean-Baptiste Augustin does resemble similarities to the name Jean-Baptiste Jacques Augustin, of whom is a French painter from 1759-1832; died in Paris. The new Paris map did just go live and archive is coming up. Hmmm… HMMMM I say! :thinking:

2 Likes

I don’t know honestly, maybe so. Not enough proof of him being Omnic for me to say 100% one way or another. The rum thing definitely kind of throws a curve ball into it… The question is, can omnics ONLY drink that oil or is it just a preference?

It’s a bit silly to introduce some expensive whiskey-like oil in the world of OW if you don’t intend it to mean that’s what Omnics drink… Even more silly to think a machine drinking rum.

This is what I expect. My biggest fear, however, is that they need a medic to bring that guy who Reaper killed back. It’s entirely in Blizzard to pull the “he’s not really dead!” card. And that be our hero 30

Have to be understanding that this could simply be a background character to set the story. We’ll have to see what the next clue holds.

I reckon Jean-Baptiste is a red herring, similarly to the Operation White Dome last year.

I’m going to take a massive punt and predict this guy is Lucio’s father. I think this next hero will help us connect some of the heroes who haven’t got much back story yet.

I’m gonna have to disagree there… we’re talking about a world where machines can walk, talk, and have feelings in the first place, with giant talking gorillas and hampsters in mech suits… we’ve already crossed the line of silly, I don’t think an omnic drinking rum really pushes that any further to be honest.

Now, the fact that the special omnic oil stuff exists as it is, like I said, throws a curve ball into the idea that he’s an omnic. It makes me doubt it, personally, but I don’t think it’s silly to think that an omnic might drink Rum. It may not have the same effect on him than it would a human or something, but I could still see him drinking it, if anything, just to prove himself among his peers.

Like I said though, the oil makes it unlikely. Still not enough evidence to be fully proven wrong till we see him, IF we see him. Because we know for a fact that the Lore writers don’t always stick to exactly what they had in mind in the first place hahahaha. :joy:

I have to agree with you here actually, it’s true that it’s a silly universe to begin with, but I guess what I meant more was not that it is or isn’t silly, it was more about the integrity of this silly world - they introduced these oil adds, so naturally I thought it’s normal for omnics to drink those instead of regular alcohol.

On the part about the writers not always sticking to exactly what they had in mind - I agree too, unfortunately… :joy: