It Is Literally Impossible To Climb

I have a question. Why is it whenI had 1442 SR on support and won my next comp game - was a good win too. I got medals including gold and a card at the end, however, my SR did not climb. It stayed right where it was. My very next game I lost, and I lost SR. Of course. Go figure!! I also feel like it’s impossible to climb in this game. I lose more when I lose than I gain when I win and it’s actually very frustrating. How did I not gain any SR in the game that was a clear and good win?

It’s because OW rank system is broken and they don’t care anymore. If OW2 has this same garbage rank system then Scott Mercer needs to be out of a job.

1 Like

I posted a topic about an hour ago or so maybe even more asking for tips about a certain hero. Got views but not a single reply.

I am not mentioning that in a sense where I cry for replies on topics I post but just to highlight an issue. People do not care about tips and tricks or VOD reviews or how to get better or anything else pertaining to that. You post a VOD review topic, be lucky to get 5 replies the most.

Topics about how ppl feel like they are being handicapped by the System get millions and millions of views and replies, because people come here to complain, to blame something on something or someone else, they do not come here to get better or improve on whatever it is they need to improve on.

When it comes to climbing, people make the most mistakes, in low elos, when they are winning. Why?

Because, since they are winning, they do not care about what they are doing, since they have the upper hand in that particular moment, people never pay attention to how much they are getting greedy with kills, how much they are pushing up when they do not need to, they stop noticing the mistakes their team as well as enemy team does.

If I say “sorry I messed up here” in 100% of situations where we are winning ppl will say “all ok, do not worry about it, we are winning” and just because we are winning the mistakes do not matter. If we are losing ppl even start to notice the moment when you decided to inhale oxygen in a wrong way let alone anything else and the blame game starts.

If it is not smurfs it is bad DPS/Tanks/Suport. If it is not that then it is bad matchmaking. If it is not that then it is Smurfs again. There is always something, but there never is “I f-ed up, used my ult too soon or too late, got caught with my pants down aka blowing my cooldoowns too early or too late, etc”.

People want to keep dying 10 times in a row while going the same route and somehow still rank up. People want to keep making the mistakes they do not even realize that they are making (because they never felt the need to ask for help or even acknowledged the fact that maybe there is smth that they need to work on) and still rank up and if they do not rank up while doing all of that then the System needs an MMR reset.

2 Likes

I climbed out of Bronze twice back when I was actually keeping track of stats.

The first time I climbed was primarily on Zen (with some Orisa) and my overall win rate was 47%. I was mostly relying on PBSR (I was getting ~25 per win and losing ~17 for a loss).

The second time I climbed out of Bronze (following my disastrous attempt to learn Rein), I climbed with an 80% win rate on McCree. I also used a few other heroes, but I don’t remeber their exact winrates (I think I was averaging a 60% not including McCree?)

100% correct. People don’t care about their mistakes or the mistakes their teammates make when they’re winning but the instant it starts to turn they become an expert coach pointing out every flaw for everyone else on their team.

I posted a topic a while ago about having the right mentality for competitive and how monitoring/improving your mental state is just as important as improving your mechanics and game sense/knowledge, if not more because if you have a flawed mentality or are tilted constantly it will either slow down your improvement or worse reduce your ability to perform as well as you normally or once could.

If people put half the energy they put into blaming and berating their teammates or trying to game the system into practicing, finding/making tips, or analyzing their own play/mistakes (doesn’t matter what your teammates did if you don’t play with them regularly, control what you can instead which is yourself) then they’d likely actually get that extra rank or two they really want.

Rank is not just a “play a lot and then you climb” system, you have to actually be self aware enough to figure out what you can do to get better as an individual and perform consistently at a high level.

It’s easy to say “fix your broken game” or “my teammates are holding me back” while just spinning your wheels and going nowhere in terms of improvement yourself. Admitting you didn’t play perfectly, recognizing your mistakes, and realizing that you could’ve done more/better and where does not mean you had to be the worst player on your team. It just means you can still improve and learn from your loss, even if you “carried”. Even the star basketball player misses a shot while scoring 40, even the star pitcher misses the strike zone while throwing a perfect game, even the star quarterback misses a throw/gets sacked/doesn’t see an open man while winning the super bowl, just like you missed some shots or could have made a better decision while “carrying” that could’ve made the difference. Even if it’s just playing with/around your team more. After all it’s a lot easier to score 40 in basketball if you just never pass the ball or let your teammates score, but your probably won’t win the game.

1 Like

Good post. FYI, the 50/50 wins and losses that you notice are enforced by a covert handicapping system called Match Making Rating. More info in this thread:

2 Likes

It’s true though, if you get nothing for almost carrying your team to a win when they are just bad…how is that fair?
And losing SR when other people leave a game is also stupid.
Why not just say hey no one else loses SR after someone leaves?
This ranking system makes no sense

2 Likes

There are two main schools of thought on this topic:

(1): “You don’t try hard enough”. Learn mistakes, gitgud, overcome. Bother with it enough, and you will slowly but surely climb. Progression is meant to be a journey/grind, not an instant-payout.

That’s not wrong, but the second school follows with the corollary:

(2): The game is rigged. The matches are handicapped. And the ladder is corrupted by alts and 4+ years lack of integrity restore (e.g. reset). An impactful % population has given up, and/or don’t care, and/or boycott the trashmaking in favour of just grinding guns.

Or a third option:

Playing Pharah on Rialto attack then staying on the high ground on the right side just outside of spawn shooting your rockets into the ground the whole time or maybe just moving a bit in order to avoid inactivity timer and then jumping off into the water the whole match while leaving your team to fight 5vs 6 the entire game.

Your claims might hold some merit if you do not deliberately throw your matches for the whole world to see.

1 Like

This 110%… If I get two losses in a row, I now instantly stop, play a different role or different account. Their is definitely some weird things that are going on in the matchmaker that I do not trust in this regard.

1 Like

Well, many members of the forum regularly brag about it. Mostly to provoke hard stuck players.

1 Like

literally all there seems to be is throwers,leaver,smurfs. so many games where I had throwers ; how is this game supposed to be fun? how will this be fixed if ever? and if not do you not care about comp or the game for that matter?Literally just had a guy say "im at work so I may be afk " in comp. then when I reported and asked others it was a idiot show with trolls trying to get me reported. will ow2 fix any of this if your abandoning ow1? if not whats the point?out of 10 games I can honestly say I had at least 4-5 with either a thrower/leaver/smurf(smurfs that are obvius I’m saying, also smurfs who throw on your own team after killing 5 people in 10 seconds). can’t have fun and SR is meaningless.and ya matchmaking is HORRID

It’s not just you struggling.

I have been trying to up my DPS rank (Gotta get dat 3k amirite?), I usually play support.

I went 13wins 4losses and lost 50 SR with that record.

50/50 would literally put me down about 400 sr everytime i log in, it’s crippling. I have absolutely not idea how people climb when your MMR is literally hard locked.

It took me two years… TWO years… to climb from silver to plat as a healer.

Sounds like you played Ana - she doesn’t cope well with the chaos in lower ranks. If you had picked Moira or Bap you could could have left silver and low gold behind i prob 20-30 hours - they thrive on the chaos.

It took me ONE MONTH to climb from plat to diamond as a healer.

Sounds like you play Ana.

1 Like

This. Totally this. A - you are actually probably doomed for a losing streak if you continue (matchmaking wise), and B - there’s a good chance you will focus less on your actual game and more on the fear of losing again.

1 Like
  1. its either you abuse op heros like cree ashe mercy brig ball to climb
  2. you dont abuse them, you are in a disadvantage and need to play and learn more about the game
  3. the other team takes the op broken brig/heros and then you have to abuse them ,or you lose 65-70% of the times.
    Welcome to “ competitive “ mode
1 Like

Another “only wins don’t bother me” thread.

1 Like

That is littérally inpossible knowing my alt which i queue comp on is at 55+ winrate on my worst and up to 78 for played heros this season. You can’t just use what people endlessly complain about. You’re just not good enough to climb yet. Alot of coaching/Scrims and you’ll be good to go.

1 Like

Ah yes, my daily dose of reading a “this happened to ME in ranked, therefore, the entire MMR system is rigged” post.

My sustenanceeee

1 Like

I have to agree. Yesterday I did placements in open queue and after I popped off with 4 wins in a row and 5 wins in 7 games, I started getting games where my opponents were just so good I couldn’t do anything to win. It was just impossible, they rolled over us as if they were three ranks above us…and these three losses in a row made me win/loss ratio exactly 50% …strange…
the moments you start winning significantly more games, you suddenly start getting much stronger opponents and get weaker teammates so it makes sure you stay where you are…unless, of course, you are a diamond player in gold who can carry every single game which I cant

2 Likes