Is trans too strong? Or is sound barrier too weak?

Only problem is that even when perfectly timed, I’ve never seen sound barrier actually protect against self destruct or even a rip-tire when it’s close.

1 Like

Yes. Have you ever played Zen? lol…

Trans is definitely my ult of choice out of the two. Sound barrier doesn’t consistently protect your team from team wiping ults like Grav and Dragonblade

Yes. I main him.
Ana and Zen are my 2 most played heroes. If you see people cluster up into a 4m radius when Zen ults chances are you’re playing in a low skill bracket.
Unless a Zarya ulted.

2 Likes

Pretty sure for support ults get stronger as you ability to heal goes down.

Mercy Best healer but ult can’t stop other ults
Lucio Second best healer and ult can stop some other ults
Zen Worst Healer but ult can stop most other ults.

Then Ana is just bad.

This is such a weird hill to die. on. They’re both defensive ults designed to save a team.

This is the comparrison being made; yes, they’re two different ults that counter two different types of damage and are countered by several different mechanics, but they are both designed to be reactionary ults.
One hero is objectively good at it, the other is objectively bad, and OP is asking whether both ults should be good (a buff to sound barrier) or both ults should be bad (a nerf to Trans).

Even if the logic behind his statements isn’t solid, everyone else in this thread understood what OP was asking and answered accordingly. Why do you care so much about “what was said” over “what OP was saying?”

What’s your point? It doesn’t matter if there’s a comparison being made. It doesn’t even matter if it’s a bad comparison or a poorly-presented representation, as I argue. The OP presented a false dichotomy which I called out. Argue what you want, but I’m just over here saying it’s not an either/or situation.

But why do you care if it’s not an Either/Or Situation? Sure, Trans can be too strong and Sound Barrier can be too weak, but is that because Trans is too strong and Sound Barrier is too weak or because Sound Barrier just sucks Trans appears too strong? That still falls under “is Trans too strong? Or is sound Barrier too weak?”
As I said, it’s such an odd thing to focus on, and doesn’t really add anything to the discussion. There’s no point, and you seem to be the only one here that cares about it.

Why do I care? Well, because these are discussion forums. You can’t have a discussion based on a falsehood.

I’d change it to send out two sound waves, or bursts.

First is sent out on button press (so instant, but still has travel time) which applies 200 decaying shields.

The second sends out when Lucio lands from his animation (so 0.8 seconds afterwards, if ulting from the ground), which applies 400 decaying shields.

This means that he would be better able to respond quickly to immediate threats, like Pulse Bomb, Deadeye, and so on, while also being able to get even a little bit of worth out of his ult if he is stunned or killed during the animation (since the first sound wave comes out instantly), and still getting approximately the same exact worth of shields from a successful ult.

1 Like

Trans is better at negating sustain damage. Lucio is better at dealing with burst. I wouldn’t say one is stronger/weaker than the other. Trans is just easier to use because it’s an instant cast. Where as with lucio you need to have more precise timing to counter a burst.

Although I hate using sound barrier as well, if you pair it with an amped heal, it can refill your buddies’ health like the other ults. But yeah it requires a cooldown and prevents you from using speed.

I agree with all of OP’s suggestions. Yes, “sound barrier is better for burst”, but only briefly, and casting it precisely (which due to its nature can be life-or-death) is further hindered by the stupid slam animation. Just an example off the top of my head: Riptire - either kills its target you before you finish casting, or simply does another short lap until the shields fade away, killing you anyway.

Oh and fun fact: It can only protect Roadhog and Dva from Self-Destruct nuke, one of the burst ults.

You can’t directly compare Zen to Lucio. Zen is in large part a DPS hero. Lucio does little to increase team’s damage output. Both heroes have support ults, but one is a healer and the other is DPS hybrid.

Lucio doesn’t heal as well as Mercy and doesn’t bring as much damage to the table as Zen. The hero is probably just unnecessary for the game.

Oh yeah, I also believe that Lucio is a good and balanced hero. But not that useful, all things considred.

Another similar hero is Soldier 76, who is probably balanced, but not optimal for fighting current heal/tank combos. So, there is no need for him to even exist.

Apoganda las luces!!!

I don’t think the barriers should go away after 6 seconds instead of decaying. What I think would be a better idea is to just reduce the rate at which they decay.

Also, temporarily increasing Lúcio’s song distance would be cool. Although, I’d rather see this tied to Amp It Up instead of his ultimate. This would make sense, since that ability raises the volume of his songs, therefore it should increase their range too.

Blizzard had decided that wallflower Lucio is not as cool as diving and risky Lucio, so don’t hold your breath.

seems really awesome :smiley:

Yes, in theory, but in practice it isn’t as simple as that.

No connection? Before Valkyrie, they were the only two proper defensive/support ults in the game. They’re incredibly connected.

sound barrier should give 700-1000 shield instead 500