Is this game still "dying"?

I get the impression it’s not anymore, and it’s on a maybe slight rebound with the new mostly positive changes and things like workshop. I don’t think the game was ever dying, but the playerbase had severely declined but flattened out with most loyal of playerbase still left.

And the community has mostly stopped with game is dying bandwagon.

The game is currently a zombie

26 Likes

Queues are long af and I keep meeting the same players. So yeah, game is pretty much dead and rightly so :smiley:

6 Likes

The game has been in decline for a while in unique players, but the total number has been kept more or less stable by the amount of alt and smurf accounts that were being made.

Now if we should believe the latest financial reports, the game is actually on decline in total numbers as well.

5 Likes

According to forums, since day 1.

17 Likes

The game has so many game modes now that some people are in Arcade (which has like 5 modes), some in Comp, some in QP, some in AI, some in custom game, and some in PTR while others swap between servers. Parts are in Xbox, PS, and PC. The OWL itself distracts from people playing.

Overall, I think the perception the game is dying is more due to all of the new game modes that release along with just the regular decline in population. If you look at any major game its population is almost always high during an event start and starts to taper off over the life time. Each day the population decreases a bit since 2016.

The major point is you can still find matches to play certainly on US server during seemingly any day of the week if you play custom, quick play, or competitive within <3 minutes which is sufficiently fine. Far shorter if people don’t leave after the end of every bloody match as you just start the next one with the same people.

1 Like

I’ve noticed the decline.
It’s pretty common now a days, especially these MOBA/FPS/Multiplayer style games,

This is why games like CS-GO stay alive. Just make a FPS…no need for this “healer/Tank/DPS” bs. That’s why we have RPGS and Mobas…

Only thing keeping OW alive is the League (which no one cares about either). LOL

3 Likes

The workshop is awesome and it could honestly save the game. Would not be surprised if the workshop becomes more popular than the main game really soon if they don’t do anything about balance.

2 Likes

Truth? Everything around you is slowly dying. Have a nice day!

workshop alone wont if however they added a map editor and all the lil goodies the TF2 devs gave the community then this game will never die.

2 Likes

It is already dead.

Pretty sure everyone lost any hope after the letdown that Archives was.
Some of us are waiting to see the “internet breaking” d.va skin but besides that it is pretty much game over.

1 Like

The workshop might bring things back.

2-2-2 might be coming which make things better or it might make things so much worse that Overwatch Team gets new leadership and that could make things better.

I can’t tell for other region,but for my region,South East Asia is starting to dying since last year.Heroes of the Storm completely dead on SEA. Because Title like LoL,Dota2,CSGO,PUBG and mobile games are very popular here.

1 Like

It never was in the first place? People spreading the “game is dying” misinformation is just as bad as the fake news Russia post on a daily bases.

Hummmmmm… Maybe Russia is really behind the “Overwatch is dying” post after all? =)

IDK, I’m having constant trash matches, I often log out feeling like playing the game is an exercise in frustration and nothing else - I play it because there’s no other FPS game that moves like Overwatch, but like, ACTUALLY playing it? I’m so mad all the time.

If it’s not that we have a 6 dps team so I’m forced into the horrible situation of trying to decide if I should masochistically tank or heal for 5 dps or just practice my aim on a dps of my own, then it’s that we have a hammond that just swings back and forth in spawn all match going ‘u mad? u mad?’ over and over (literally my last match just now.) If it’s none of that then it’s that torb is half assing it just using his hammer and lulzing about his soft throw. No one actually cares about this game, there’s no way for me to build a group of people who I reliably play with that want to play the game at my skill level / level of effort, and so I’m constantly just… Not able to actually play the game.

IDK I think unless they really overhaul something soon the game is dead in the water. I’m getting matched up with the same people CONSTANTLY now, too - over several days, which tells me that there aren’t many people on the servers because if there were I wouldn’t be seeing the same ones over and over again.

2 Likes

As far as I see it, Workshop is only as valuable as it can be if you can get people to actually play the game modes people create. Where do we even play them? People are going to have a very hard time popularizing anything, and honestly a lot of people still just want to play Overwatch, which is what they’re coming to the game for in the first place. I get how a workshop can make a niche market really thrive, but outside of having the time and energy to tink around with it there’s not a truly massive audience that I see making workshop replace the main player base of Overwatch player for player.

Rebound?

Nope, nothing has happened😂

Workshop is cool, but still won’t bring many players back.

Game is still in the decline stage, slowly but surely. Until Blizz actually adds something substantial, there is no need to come back to the game.

(And consoles are losing players by the truckload)

3 Likes

Game is crap. It’s been dead, people just refuse to accept that

1 Like

Everything is dying since the moment they are born.

Well lets see.

QP - total sniperfest chaos

CP - toxic throwing chaos

Arcade - funnest part of the game but can get boring quickly

Theres not much to OW anymore, the game has been treading towards a wrong direction for a very long time and it slowly killed itself. It doesnt have a positive image in the gaming industry anymore.

5 Likes