Is there any evidence for forced losses?

Recently hopped onto a silver account, literally went 24-2 (in my 2 losses, i could’ve played much better)

Dont think the game sees 4 wins and decides “this person must be stopped”

2 Likes

There’s handicapping that occurs. Or so many believe, a forum user named Thorny made a pretty sound argument for this

2 Likes

What’s your peak on your main? GM or T500? If GM, how do you do in Master games, if Top 500 how do you do in GM games? Do you experience streaks there?

The issue with that is they don’t do the same with your teammates.

Comparitively, it’s like putting one professional AFL player with the Kids’ League, going up against a team of Olympians.

T500. GM games are pretty similar to T500. I perform similarly, just a littie better in GM than in T500. I don’t experience streaks, I don’t think the game forces me to lose games in any rank, I know i could do better, regardless of what rank I’m playing in.

Forced loss streaks don’t exist because you cannot guarantee a loss in a game of 12 players who have free will. Further, the matchmaker isn’t trying to keep anyone a certain rank. A better question is if handicapping exists. Unfortunately, if you’re attempting to hold a scientific standard, personal experience doesn’t cut it. Aside from people trying to fudge it, the amount required to rule out observation bias and white noise would be absurd. That said, I made a case for it here, based on an observation about bronze to GM streams combined with blizzard’s own statements:

1 Like

Really? Literally every T500 I’ve heard talk about said the exact opposite. That there are worlds between 4k and 4.3 as well as worlds between 4.3 and 4.6.

Anyway, yeah I’d expect exactly that. The most loss streaks I have experienced were 3 I believe, and that was when I was playing badly.

Considering that im like, 4300 (finished #340 on the leaderboard), most of my games are around 4100-4200. It’s rare that I get games above 4400 SR, and even watching high SR streams, like a 4500 player, they’ll often get 4100-4200 games.

If there were consistent 4300 games, I’m sure it’d feel much harder than 4100 games, but I don’t get to experience that too often.

Yeah I often have times where I lose and it’s due to my own play (namely dying with life-saving cooldowns still up), so I know something I have to work on to improve.

He means that smurfs get put up vs other smurfs or get wood tier/ thrower team mates to drag him down.

I’ve seen this first hand duo with a gm smurf in gold. He told me the gold games were harder than playing in gm.

3 Likes

Going 24-2 in silver/gold. Hasn’t happened to me lmao.

3 Likes

Fair enough. What hero/s out of interest?

Could be confirmation bias. Played five games with him, of which we had an easy win, two losses and two draws, as I recall.

Conversely, few seasons back got ten wins in a row to a career high. And the games didn’t feel any harder as I Climbed. In fact, felt super easy as my teams felt consistently Favoured each time.

Matchmaker is definitely volatile.

There’s very little consistency. Gold Mercy running in and dying every twenty seconds, vs gold Mercy using flight tech to never get hit.

Plat team feeding their brains out like imbeciles, vs silver team making dry push, regrouping and winning point with massive ult advantage.

Imo mmr matchmaker needs to go. Base it purely on Sr.
Perhaps have an mmr to adjust Sr gains to get smurfs up faster, but no reason matches should be subject to handicapping.

2 Likes

DPS and D.va.

I’m sure it’ll be a similar story if I played support as well, just not to that extent (im not that good at support)

I think you’re putting too much meaning on a 5 game sample size.

1 Like

Could be. I recall one game where our “gold” Zen never used a single orb all game. I’m not a great Zen at all (got donkey aim), but I do know how to put orbs on people.

Then a recent 1500 tank game had a “low silver” Lucio whizzing around and getting loads of frags and hardly ever dying.
Doing better than me, and I’m mid gold. To be fair, he’s vs low silver dps that can’t get kills, so maybe not comparable.

1 Like

I’m pretty sure Blizzard confirmed that MM tries to get a 50-50 chance of winning, so as you win the players you will get will be coming off of losing streaks as it is trying to pair people who are falling with people who are climbing to try and make it evened out on both sides.

To me, anything other than MM taking 12 random people in a specific rank (If gold then every single player should be between 2000 and 2499 SR no more, no less) and it should pick 12 random players, how you played and regardless of if you won or lost any games leading up should not matter at all. So once you get away from that and you are building teams based on aspects then that is not just matchmaking, it is rigging teams. which in turn plays a part in rigging some games. Too many games are uneven, one sided, lopsided stomp fests, and have that feeling of impossible to win, or you can do no wrong, for it not to have some sort of outside influence, which as i said, should not be a case.

7 Likes

I dont consider it force losing. Its that the machmaker expect you to carry a heavier load then most can bare. And it dos this for the reason of keeping you playing/addicted to the game because the more you are addicted the more money bliz can make or has a chance to make…kinda like cigarettes…they dont sell them cuz they are good for your health and make you live longer…they sell them cuz they make money and are good at getting people hooked on them.

U can think of it kinda like this too. Your climbing a mountain and each time you pass a marker to get higher then more weight is added to your pack…sometimes its only 1 or 2ibs…sometimes its 50ibs…and after so many markers u get to many 50ibs added and slide down again…and begin in turn to lose some of the weight on ur pack. Now some people can work past the weight like dwaine Johnson and they can hurry to the top despite the added weight…but most people are more like that skinny kid that can barely lift more then 10ibs…but the matcmaker keeps puting on the 50ib weights anyways cuz its a machine trying to use math to estimate the randomness that is humans. If u have ever seen terminator then the machine never dos understand or figure out how to do it correctly. So most of us get stuck in a rank despite us getting better we can never get good enough to climb higher very often unless we go and “lift a bunch of weights and get uber strong” we will be stuck were we are and its frustrating cuz a ladder is made to be climbed yet we cant climb it…

Aint addictions fun…

2 Likes

None whatsoever. People need to take off their tinfoil hats and realize that vaccines do not cause autism, Obama was born in the US, 9/11 was not an inside job, and Blizzard isn’t conspiring to keep you stuck in your rank.

2 Likes

I am usualy stable high plat player, I made it to diamond last season with hog for the first time, landing at 3150 after nice winning streak like 9 games.

My exprience is usualy like this tho:

win, loss, win, loss, win, loss, win win, loss, win, loss, loss, loss…

Never had forced loss streak in my life, I had some loss streaks but some games in it was lost because i sucked. Btw I played like over 11 000 games in comp.

Yeah, I’ve heard people say that a lot, but I’ve never seen anything official. Do you have any link, I think that would be pretty solid proof that at least the MM is rigged.

Yeah, it really doesn’t seem common to me either. 3 games in both direction max usually, unless I’ve gotten better and am climbing.

1 Like

It happens to a lot, lot of people. The forum is fille with this.

2 Likes

That’s not proof whatsoever. The forums are a very small part of the community that tends to overly tilt and complain. I doubt even 1 out of 10 posts claiming there are forced streaks was made after they just won a bunch of matches. Besides, even if people don’t exaggerate with the amount of games they’ve lost, or the frequency of streaks, that doesn’t mean these streaks were in any way forced by the system.