Is the playerbase big enough?

If the system for match making is good but the player base is too small thatt would cause the troubles we see in comp, i.e. Solos getting put against groups, long wait for queue , large dispairity between SR vs teams and with in the teams. Also the limited nature of the avoid as team mate. I cant find the actual daily active player average.

1 Like

it’s big enough…despite the number of OW players dropping it is still a huge playerbase. Ppl play this game, it’s a good fun game just not as good as it used to be that’s all

2 Likes

My quickmatch queue times have gone from less than a minute, to 2-4m. And my rank times have been getting up to 5 minutes. Normally, I use the bathroom and barely make it back. Now I have time to grab a beer, use the bathroom, let the dog out, and I am back to the Xbox before it begins. It’s def getting much smaller.

Smaller also means there are less players in your elo and above, meaning a higher tier could be harder to achieve.

3 Likes

Time of day and day of week play a big factor. Last Friday night, I played 6 comp matches in a row with less than a 1 minute wait for each one. And this is in Bronze, where we only have like 8% of the player base. I’ve seen it as high as 7 minutes on off-peak times.

Also

Don’t forget

The player base is also split between Eurpoe, US, and Asian servers.

2 Likes

It depends on your rank/platform/region/day/time. In California, gold prime time, it’s fine. In New Zealand, GM, 2 AM, things can be harder.

1 Like

According to this analyst, BLIZZARD as a whole in Q2 2018 had an average Monthly Active User (MAU) base of 37 million players and has been on a slow, steady decline over that prior year. A MAU is someone accessing a game at least once that month.

So now that we are in Q4, it theoretically should be lower. Extrapolate what amount of that 35-39million MAU is for Overwatch, or Diablo, or Hearthstone, or WoW.

https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.fool.com/amp/investing/2018/08/27/is-this-activision-blizzards-biggest-weakness.aspx