Is soldier good, or has he been powercrept out of being a decent pick?

it was pretty reliable. shooting a targets feet isn’t less reliable than clicking heads as ashe or less consistent than popping 2 cooldowns as echo.

Zarya is weaker than she was in dive

1.13.0.2A - 7/27/2017

Graviton Surge

• Now disables mobility abilities on all affected targets.

1.27.0.1 - 8/9/2018

Energy

• Drain rate reduced from 2 energy per second to 1.6 energy per second.

Graviton Surge

• Radius reduced from 8 to 6 meters.

1.34.0.1 - 3/19/2019

Particle Cannon

• Alternative Fire’s explosion radius changed to 2 meters, regardless of energy level.

1.40.0.0 - 9/17/2019

Primary Fire

• Beam width is now 0.15 meters and no longer scales with energy.
  • Max Beam DPS lowered from 190 to 170.

1.43.0.0 - 12/10/2019

Particle Cannon (Secondary Fire)

• Explosion radius increased from 2 to 2.5 meters.
  • Ammo cost decreased from 25 to 20.

Are you sure about that? She is a little harder to track with, but not harder to play and you can get more out of her easier if you can track.

this has always been true though even in times when widow made ashe completely obsolete. also her overall damage from her gun is actually still lower than widows so idk where you got that info.

actually it isn’t. his gun was buffed up to the stronger options (which literally is not power creep).

how can you be so sure? I believe echo is greater than genji due to her ult and her ability to cover high ground.

thats not what power creep is though. power creep is when newer options (whether new characters or buffs) effectively render older options underpowered/obsolete. mccree/ashe doesn’t render widow’s gun obsolete. buffing a character to be relative in power to a better character isn’t powercreep, its just balance.

they could have been talking about anyone. they didn’t say specifically the 1 or 2 randos in the thread, they said people. thinking they were talking about the community isn’t really a stretch or me getting defensive lmao. stop fishing.

Yeah, they could have been talking about anyone. Not everyone like the entire community as a whole as you tried to frame it. There’s a pretty big leap between people, and everybody. It is pretty big stretch my dude.

You’re literally here defending the notion that dps haven’t been power crept, fallaciously i might add.

Like here. That is practically the definition of power creep.

Here. You’re using one ability as proof that the entire dps role collectively hasn’t had their power increased.

You’re literally saying a buff that made them better isn’t power creep here.

And we’re literally in a thread talking about how bad soldier is because other dps are just better now.

1 Like

He’s a victim of power creep but he’s still good. The thing is, Soldier has the tools to really get work done anywhere. Any map, any team composition, he can fit in and do work. He doesn’t really have any hard counters, and he doesn’t hard counter anyone (despite people demanding you switch to him for PharMercy or MerCho), but he has some match-ups that are unfavorable, and he’s strong against certain heroes.

Soldier can be fairly independent with his self-heal and running speed, so taking up a point near a health pack makes him impossible to kill unless you 100-0 him. If you get good at short, controlled bursts of fire, he’s got a lot of sustain damage, and the rockets provide some pretty substantial burst. I burn out even annoying Bastions quick, and I’ve gotten to the point that I can pinpoint a Tracer in motion with Helix.

His ult is often derided as poor, but honestly, it’s not. It’s a substantial boost to his reliability; yes, in theory, all headshots would do more damage, but no one’s hitting all headshots. Enemy Mercy pops Valkyrie, Tactical Visor takes her out. You can burn down a Moira ulting, force a Nanoed Genji to immediately switch his focus or die, etc. Get a flank on the enemy team and murder their backline or force their tanks to turn their shields, so your team then murders them.

Soldier is kind of the “Jack of all trades, master of none” right now, but he’s better than most generalists tend to be.

1 Like

if someone is vague with their phrasing, people will misinterpret. its that simple.

defending an argument isn’t the same as “getting defensive”. you’re conflating two different definitions.

it actually isn’t. if it were than basically every hero thats been buffed ever is evidence of power creep.

no I actually am not. they were talking about burst damage being higher and more reliable than the past so I am comparing burst damage from the past to burst damage now. you either are missing context or simply ignoring it.

buffs!=powercreep and I cant believe that needs to be explained.

soldier isn’t bad though. he’s less played than other dps because the meta doesn’t favor him at all. soldier isn’t obsolete because of mccree.

Yes. She’s harder to track with, with less reward. And you left out that her Grav got smaller

Widow does more damage per hit but her overall damage is lower.

That’s part of it. But it’s also when power increases to the point it’s more than desirable, through increasing stuff to more than it used to be.

There are tons of complaints about the damage and healing levels now. And the last time there were no complaints (dive) we can go look from there to see.

Her grav got smaller but its harder to escape from. Her max DPS went from 190 to 170, but her energy decay went down 20%. So basically if you can track its actually more reward which is why she generally does more damage than any DPS does in games right now. Her only real weakness is anti synergy with Sigma and no real synergy with Orisa.

Edit: I also forgot the buff to her secondary.

Her decay change was part of her dive state

if by overall damage you mean per game then probably yeah. that doesn’t necessarily mean that her burst is better or higher than widows though. if it did than that would mean that a hero like soldier would have better burst than doom or reaper (which is definitely not true). widow/reaper/doom don’t need anywhere near the per game damage numbers of their competitors since they can kill in much shorter time.

thats its own issue though. maybe there is a word/term for that but it isn’t power creep.

healing was low in dive but depending on which “phase” of dive the damage of the meta heroes was greater/relative to current meta heroes.

I didn’t state it was better than Widows, I stated there was more of it. Which there is

It is power creep

1 Like

if it isn’t better than theres no argument.

by definition it isnt but I guess we’ll just agree to disagree.

The decay change was the exact same patch as the grav nerf so if you do not count decay you cannot count the grav nerf. They work better when taken as a set though because it explains why they had to make one change later on.

The mobility change lead to them having to nerf the radius to keep it balanced. The 20% decay reduction lead to them having to nerf the max damage by 10%. The only one that looks out of play is the buff to her secondary fire but then again that will probably get a change to pair with it soon.

Ok first of all… Defending your own actions or words is literally the definition of being defensive. You “misinterpreted” something and now you’re here arguing to justify that.

You’re also moving the conversation all over the place here, so much so you tried to chalk up the notion that because scatter did more burst, there wasn’t power creep in burst in the game… And then flat out deny something that’s literally the definition of power creep (McCree was buffed to be better, and in turn was actually better for it) … as power creep.

You’re not actually arguing here with any sense of logical reasoning or coherence. You’re invested emotionally in it, strictly arguing for the sake of arguing.

Yeah, you’re being defensive.

1 Like

A certain flaw in game balance design, where content released later tends to get more powerful as time goes. This can be seen in multiplayer games that have regular expansions or balance patches.

Power Creep can also refer to the average increase in relative power for all released content in a game.
The changes described by Power Creep happen slowly and might not be noticed by the players for a while, until comparisons are maid (sic), hence the “creeping”.

Untrue. It doesn’t have to have a better dph to contribute to creep. Having a lower DPH but being able to more consistently burst people down because there is so much more of it is also an example of more.

1 Like

Fair enough. Neither count then. As I said, the changes counted should mostly be the stuff from the end of dive forward. Basically anything post Brigitte. Because Brigitte’s addition is more or less the point where most everyone can agree that the game stopped working.

That’s when complaints about too much sustain and too much damage and power creep all stated. Prior to that individual heroes may have been out of balance, but not particular elements of the game like shielding, healing, or damage.

no, it isn’t at least not in the way that you used it. If you read my reply you would know that I wasn’t defending my argument from criticism (or anything), I was just pointing out what I thought was a flaw in what they said.

actually not the definition of power creep and its bizarre that you think it is. google powercreep. there are probably multiple definitions but I am pretty sure that your definition isn’t reinforced often.

I am arguing for the sake of arguing but I am also using my brain. if you would outline a single argument with zero logic, I will congratulate you and leave.