Is #ReworkMercy Even Needed?

Nice article. It shows that the movement has gotten traction and keeps going forward. It’s just that blizzard refusing to acknowledge it. Maybe if it grows larger someday they will.

Yes. In my opinion the stupid slowdown on res needs to go, I don’t care what it takes. I don’t care if they don’t revert mercy or maybe just remove res altogether, but that slowdown is the thing that made me come to this forum in the first place.

1 Like

I found it highly unpleasant and jarring that the writer portrayed two of the most caustic, passive aggressive, and hate-filled individuals I know of in the OW player community as being much nicer individuals than they actually are

That said, the article started off with him taking it as a given (which it isnt) that Mercy needs changes, so the bias in the anti-Mercy direction was evident from very early in the piece, so I suppose this was to be expected

Along the same lines, the article failed for the most part to address the fact that many pro-Mercy folks are fine with Mercy as she is

The one thing I agree with was the title of the article, which highlights the fact that the anti-Mercy folks cannot agree on what change(s) they want to make them happy

Overall, a very disappointing and very biased piece

i totally agree. I am doing a survey to gathering data like this right now. data are not enough to statistically prove anything but there’s a trend that proportionally most rant comes from plat. there’re actually more ppl in masters and GM+ wants Mercy to stay where she is. there’s only about 20% people think a rework will help Mercy.

Well, what makes you think you’re neutral and not biased in your opinion? Everyone is biased to their cause, especially people that have something to do with the thing that is debated. You have your agenda to stop the movement, and they have their agenda to push the movement. The reporter just reports it. His bias lies in creating an interesting article that made people interested in it. It’s a given that everyone have their own bias.

But you cant refute that the movement is getting the traction it needed, because people outside there are starting to notice it.

4 Likes

Already being done by slyther. Check below for the result. And maybe put numbers after you have any data to back it.

• 7.1% of players would like to leave her alone for now
  • 0.07% of participants feel she deserves a Nerf.
  • 17.4% want a simple, flat Buff
  • 31.6% want a Rework of some form
  • 43.8% of players want some form of Revert to Mass Res (with or without tweaks)
2 Likes

Nothing in a game is ever needed. Mercy doesn’t need reworks or changes because it’s just a game. Mercy therefore didn’t need to be changed from mass rez, she didn’t need valk 2.0 nerfed, and her healing in valk could have stayed in 50. Symm never needed to be changed from 1.0, Hanzo could still have scatter arrow .
Changes are made with the flow of the game , hero design and game design. I think Mercy should be reworked or reverted because as of now, she is lackluster without a niche which I think is bad for being one of three primary healers. Moreover, I think valk is terrible design as is rez on cooldown as a whole for any hero in concept. Mercy has too many exceptions between her cooldowns, ult and kit to be in line with most of the rest of the roster. It takes away autonomy from a mercy player in which case, having a bot can be just as good. Mercy needs more autonomy in order to be a “good” hero which valk and rez on cooldown took away.
Right now, Mercy is balanced because there is nothing she can inherently mess up. She already had a low skill floor mechanically but rez in e lowered it further, and her ult was once where she met her cieling which valk limits. So she has a low skill cieling and skill floor which I don’t think is fair to any hero.
I think a rework is definitely fair to call for both from a game design view, but also from the perspective of people who simply want to feel more directly impactful or fun in a game they purchased.

3 Likes

You and so many others are missing the point. She plays out similar to Mercy 1.0 in mechanical fashion… Sure… But she is definitely not the same hero. Mercy 1.0 had a powerful and impactful ult. Besides people are complaining about other very valid things so stop telling people to suck it up.

3 Likes

I really wouldn’t mind a rework, but I’m also fine if she just gets a healing buff. Not leaning heavily toward one side.

I am not a reporter, who should free him or herself of bias when writing such a piece

That’s what he should do, as a reporter

But he didnt

I don’t see that as bias, I see that as part of his job description, which includes reporting, which should be as free of bias as possible. Instead it read like a propaganda piece for the anti-Mercy side of things. The pro-Mercy side received very little mention. Should been equal time.

How is he biased? He covered from both sides lol. And he doesnt have any reason to pick any side. He just reports what he received. If you want your voice to get heard maybe you should email him too or make a youtube video about “mercy is fine” and give them the link.
Stop accusing him as giving “propaganda” just because you don’t like that #reworkmercy is gaining traction.

I already addressed this

unequally

I don’t know of any valid means to make such a determination, but the bias was evident, regardless of his reasons for writing in this manner

What I like or dislike is as I see it irrelevant to a determination of how much coverage was given to each side

There’s a lot wrong here, like anything mentioning balance being right out the window having nothing to do with this rework movement, so I’ll just focus on this.

First you’re leading with anecdotal evidence. Then telling us to get good? We can’t look at your personal experience. If you posted video, then we could point out just what is or isn’t there. There isn’t a debate to be had with “I carried the team.”

While damage boost is nice, it lacks any input from the player.

You can only activate Valk at 1 time: When the team fight engages. If you’ve somehow lost 2-3 players, I’m sorry to break the news: The team fight is over. If that’s the level of skill we’re talking about, we might as well talk about how difficult it is to time and not pop inside your spawn. Might as well play Ana and Nano mini D.va at that point.

Everything else you just described isn’t Valk play at all; it’s normal Mercy play. Something that Mass Res Mercy had to also consider in equal amounts. Well, with the exception of positioning, and healing target, which where not handled automatically for them.

Rez was about managing a resource. Saying that it’s a 1 off reveals nothing towards this. Mismanage that resource and it has little impact.

“A good valk is hard…” Good grief.

6 Likes

Okay you can say he’s biased and i can say he’s not biased. In the end both our opinion still holds the same weight, even if its near to nothing lol

You can say what you like, as is your perogative.

I can count the number of sentences devoted to each side.

I can count the number of quotes devoted to each side.

I can count the number of named people representing each side

I can note that the article more or less begins with the author stating that Mercy needs work.

I second all of that.

1 Like

I second all your post but particularly this part. I might not have played for almost a couple of months but I can’t recall hearing anything new in that time that’d make it hard to play. It’s like saying hitting a target with Soldier’s ult is hard. I mean it does basically everything for you.

Shoot I’ve been asking the question for well over a year now…and I just about guarantee the devs feel that way or they would’ve done something about it after the barrage they’ve endured for the past year+

It’s an unpopular opinion but I’m still very much in the camp of Mercy’s resurrect being the sole cause of her woes. It’s just too hard to balance in a small-scale team shooter. You either end up with being broken or worthless. I say snip it out entirely and give her a single target invulnerability. It makes everything a hell of a lot easier to balance, it isn’t such a huge pain to go against and it still fits in with her “heroes never die!” theme.

Invulnerability, it just werks.

Which sucks. It has the downsides of an ult since it is so powerful and stops the flow of your gameplay. Rez as a normal ability is everything but a good thing.

Which is watered down after so many nerfs that it barely counts as a support ultimate. Now it looks what it really is a standard ability. Thanks to rez on e it cant be any more powerful which contradicts the meaning of ultimate.
Furthermore valk makes everything way too easy for Mercy and takes away all the skills you need to learn with her. So it makes her way less engaging in case you dont pull out the pistol which isnt something people want from a sup.

So yes her overall gameplay didnt change that much but her E-ability and ultimate kick you out of it whenever you use them. They are not going well with Mercys otherwise good and fine base kit.

2 Likes