Is OWL done for now a 100 million prize pool esport has been announced?

The wife and I plan to once the PvE game goes F2P later this year. We’re just not interested enough to buy their early access packs, which are pretty much the price of most retail games.

1 Like

Yeah, I guess every other tournament in the world is going to just cower behind closed curtains now.

This is just how it works. A tournament comes by with a huge prize pool and the rest just disappear out of thin air.

Not sure how.

100 million for prize pools. Not a single prize of 100mil

There are no sources for current active player data averaged over the last 7 days, or month.

There never will be. There will be flash in the pan stats because they make the game look good. That’s how the industry works. Steam is an exception because they are a selling platform, whose interest is in giving you an informed choice so that you’re satisfied with their platform.

Edit: we’re also not talking at all about how many are watching OWL, we’re talking about how many are actively playing the game. That is what determines how much potential money you stand to make based on how large of an investment you put in. The more active players, the higher and higher amount of money can be invested profitably. This is what’s happening.

i feel you. i was an early adopter of the game got a founders pack. funny enough it was because i was looking for something to play on my overwatch downtime.

i put a few hours into it and just got bored… no real reason, it was polished enough and had decent content, but something about it just didnt excite me.

all of a sudden it was announced that theyd be doing battle royal and i was like “well… uninstall” its a shame really as i was so excited all through out its development. something was wrong with the core game and i have a feeling they felt it too while making the decision to go battle royal .

100 Mil prize pool.
But they still sunk Paragon to keep Fortnite afloat.

I used to really love Epic games and the work they did until they did that.

Hmmm interesting. I’ve actually always been interested in the PvE side of Fortnite. That may scratch the itch I have waiting for OW PvE / horde mode outside of the designated 3 weeks out of a year.

When is it going F2P?

Play OW for PvP, Fortnite for PvE sounds like a good way to go.

Well, I don’t think it’s going to be the ax in any other competitive game… but with such a large prize pool it’s definitely going to make career pro gamers consider playing Fortnite over other things.

I’ll be brutally honest, I honestly think they’re doing this big cash fund because they know the excitement of the game will end on day; it doesn’t have that much longevity. Eventually the trend will end.
Why not blow it early when you have the fans to?

I was top 4 in Squads for USA. I might consider going back to that game, especially because I won’t be curb stomping children (and playing with children). Might actually mean something to be good at fortnite now that they announced this.

I went to IEM in Oakland last year and noticed that very same thing on the PubG side of the arena. The CS:GO spectating was way better than PugG because of how slowly the battle royal games unfold.

IMO, Fortnight is going to run into the same problem. It’s an awesome streaming game because you get to follow one streamer the entire time, and they get a lot of time to give their viewers feedback on why they’re doing what they’re doing.

What their overall plan is.
Why they’re going into that building.
What they’re looking for.
What they need right now.
What their next priority is.
How they plan to kill a hypothetical enemy.

Then you get to see all their well-laid plans fall to pieces as someone jumps in through a hole in the roof, or open up the wall with a rocket, or do something else they didn’t anticipate.

With streamers, the action is a punctuation to a lot of strategizing and planning.

With a shot-called tournament, the viewers want nothing but high-octane action. They want to know who’s winning, and how they won.

Battle Royal games don’t lend themselves very well to that kind of coverage. The gameplay is too spread out, too chaotic, and way too infrequent. Also, you don’t get any of the streamer personality that makes people like Edberg, SovietWomble, Tim, etc fun to watch. You just get some commentators who are there to give objective, vanilla comments on whats happening.

That said, the battle royal games were absolute madhouses around the last 30 seconds or so. The problem with PubG at IEM was that the rounds were 45-60 minutes long, for a roughly 30-120 second payoff at the end. The payoff just wasn’t worth the necessary time investment.

Crowd plays a major part in tournaments as well and I just can’t see the Fortnite crowd being any better than IEM Sydney (CS:GO).

Pubg isn’t doing well because it’s uninteresting garbage competitively. Everyone slow drops at the start, and they don’t even have 100 man squads/the map is huge.

The game is also based around looting up.

In Fortnite loot is irrelevant once you get a rifle, you need to farm some resources but that takes a very short amount of time. You also do not have the slow loot, and the circle moves much faster.

Fortnite is just infinitely better at pacing that PUBG, so many of these problems won’t exist as much as they do with it.

It has the same major problem as PUBG.

100 people playing you get to watch 1 person at a time. You may never even see your favorite player except when he pops up on the kill feed.

Hey lets go to the world map and look at 100 names moving around /yawn

They won’t be.

CS:GO was custom built to be casted and called for tournaments. It’s why the knife is still so crappy, yet can one-shot people. I mean, you could hear the knife-kills at IEM: Oakland outside because the crowd was going nuts.

PubG doesn’t have anything that’s capable of showcasing skill and opportunity to the same degree. And it’s absolutely what makes CS:GO crush the PubG tournament scene.

It also doesn’t help that PubG/Fortnight have gigantic maps. I mean, the IEM PubG matchups were 100-man games.

Honestly, if I were Epic I’d make a tournament map and release it to the public as an optional mode that was roughly 1/16th or 1/32nd the size of the normal map just so they could cut the number of teams in a tournament and make the rounds shorter.

Then I’d make the zoning a LOT more aggressive to keep people moving. Just get the games moving. It’s what killed PubG for me as a tournament game. The second round I watched, the team that won literally only moved once the whole game and only had like 8 kills between them.

I don’t wanna be that guy but…

Fortnite will probably be dead within the year

Maybe not and it becomes an all time classic
But the battle royal fad isn’t going to last long imo

It’s sad knowing that’s exactly how it got popular.

2 Likes

You’ll be watching squads at a time, and your commentary shows you know very little about pubg tournaments.

“favorite player”

How can i even watch football, 22 people on the field you can’t even see them all moving around. I barely even get to see my favorite player.

PUBG has already done the same thing. It’s boring to watch cause TONS of people. Die off screen you really don’t get a feel for the match as a whole.

You just don’t get a feel for how the game unfolds.

It makes it a bad spectator sport

Imagine all of blizzards OWL resources went towards lore

Could be a much better in depth game

1 Like