Is Overwatch considered Cyberpunk ("the style" not the game)

Not at all. I would go toward anime (if that’s even something you could call a style).

1 Like

Actually anime has it’s own split of styles aka Shonen, Shojo, Seinen, Josei, and Kodomomuke.

Just calling it “anime”, would be like me calling it a “Movie”.

about the anime analogy, i can see that but i see it more of a disney type pixar type of style. i dont know if all pixar style movies belong to disney or if other companies have them

my favorite ones are wreck-it ralph and wall-e

1 Like

Disney is more dark the more you learn about it.

Pixar and Dreamworks are nearly indistinguishable to me.

1 Like

cyberpunk is very cool and has always kind of fascinated me starting with the first blade runner movie i watched when i was a kid. if there is any tag of cypberpunk or dystopian future or science fiction in general the im always instested in it.

i also like watching chill relax cyberpunk/sci-fi them chill music. usually pour a glass of whisky and just sit there listening to it. so chill

2 Likes

There were others but the main competitor went out of business

1 Like

Actually Disney main competitors just became Anime so they didn’t have to compete with Disney.

Which is smart.

A very cartoonified spin on cyberpunk really, but honestly I think it’s far enough removed that it’s more or less it’s own aesthetic

1 Like

I meant the animation style Disney does. They were called blue sky I think (whoever made Rio).

1 Like

Trust me, it gets very legally grey with Disney.

It’s how I know they will make another National Treasure movie before 2024.

After 20 years, they would lose the rights and other people can make a National Treasure movie….

Edit: and what do you know, just looked it up and they are finishing up a National Treasure 3.

Honestly for CP2077 I was hoping for a more bleak, smog-filled ShinraHQ-esque setting like Blade Runner 2049 or Ghost in the Shell

https://static.dw.com/image/40726816_403.jpg

Where the world is in perpetual foggy rainy night and is a police-state

I don’t know why, but having people think of OW as cyberpunk makes me just a bit angry.

Overwatch really isn’t dystopian to any significant degree I don’t think. It’s more solarpunk if anything.

I wouldn’t say its dystopian, at least not much more than real life is, neither is society or order.

I think of Cyberpunk style to be much more gritty and dark than anything OW provides personally…

yea i know what you mean. a lot of people complained about that wanted it more blade runner’esqe. cyberpunk is more of a grand theft auto game in the future. still having beat it its still an awesome game. beat it with the nomad story background and i like how there is all your a.i intelligence stuff, mega-corp, the orwellian style governement and all that… it was pretty cool. one of the best games i played. there is still downsides tho… still buggy, the npc a.i is worse than gta but overall i loved the game. hoping for actual dlc in the future

2 Likes

“The world of TOMORROW”

If anything, it feels more like a “Super Hero” plotline, but without the mutant powers and instead just technology and tiny bit of spirit magic.

1 Like

I’d call it science fantasy.

Cyberpunk is gritty and dystopian. While Overwatch’s world is pointedly imperfect, I wouldn’t go so far as to call it dystopian (there will always be some war and organized crime, and ruling elites are always kinda shady, but most of the world seems to be doing just fine) and thematically, there’s just not enough focus on the element of social breakdown and dissent to really justify calling it cyberpunk.

Like, yeah, there’s some terrorists running around in the background and some robots wondering if they’re people, but Overwatch isn’t exactly a deep exploration of those themes. It really just feels like those things are there to give our shiny technicolor heroes something to fight against.

1 Like

Overwatch has cyberpunk elements but it’s not a cyberpunk. It’s a superhero sci-fi.

1 Like