Is overtrack considered cheating?

all it does is track stats

I can’t see why it would be, just more detailed version of Overbuff from looks?

EDIT:// Actually, looks like you need to run a exe, so maybe yes, wouldn’t risk it personally.

If it’s install thing then yes, most likely.

If it’s just pulling statistics data from the same sources as something like overbuff, then it should be fine.

If it’s a third party application that monitors the status of Overwatch, yes it is illegal. Please see this forum post for further details.

2 Likes

Yes, it is considered cheating.

And their definition of cheating is the dumbest thing I’ve ever seen FPS-wise

5 Likes

That post does not say that, though. Its broadest language is to forbid “any code and/or software, not expressly authorized by Blizzard, that can be used in connection with the Platform and/or any component or feature thereof which changes and/or facilitates the gameplay or other functionality;

OverTrack is reading the screen (or, and apparently the preferred way to operate, is reading the OBS capture) and recording statistics for post-game analysis. It is not ‘facilitating gameplay or other functionality’, i.e. it is not providing an overlay that gives you real time advantage nor is it doing any automated control.

OverTrack’s own faq says, “Blizzard’s current stance on third party programs is unclear. Some third party programs with similar functionality to OverTrack have been forbidden, although no bans or warnings have been reported stemming from the use of OverTrack.”

A google search shows this is not strictly true: in late may/early june of last year, several players were initially banned for using overtrack, although the bans were subsequently overturned, suggesting that the software is not ban-worthy but was getting detected in error.

If someone did want to use the software though, I would strongly recommend to not enable the option to read your BattleTag from the Blizzard App. I don’t have every policy ever written by Blizzard at hand, but in general reading directly from software memory is a big no-no, regardless of intent. Further, I would use OverTrack to collect its data from the OBS capture; not only does this apparently have better performance, but it also means you’re not even reading the Overwatch Screen.

If you’re using the OverTrack software in this way, you are literally not interacting with any of Blizzard’s software, you’re interacting only with OBS. I mean, there’s no guarantees in life… but if you are using software that is in no way interacting with Blizzard’s software, I don’t see how that can reasonably considered a violation.

1 Like

Neither did Pursuit, but it was banned. It worked exactly as this software does merely recording footage and generating analytical stats from it giving key advice that cannot be normally derived from the game itself (even though it was processed after the match).

I will note I have already filed a report to the Blizzard’s hack team mentioning this thread. As a reminder per the Forum Code-of-Conduct

Posting Cheats, Hacks, Trojan Horses or Malicious Programs

This category includes:

• Posting links to cheats, hacks, or malicious viruses / programs
  • If you would like to report information regarding cheats or hacks to Blizzard, send it to hacks@blizzard.com. Do not post it to the forums.

If a player is found to have participated in such actions, he/she will:

• Be permanently banned from the forums

I don’t think this is straight up posting cheats, but I will emphasize the importance of maintaining a fair play environment for all players. It is not my intention to sound like a villain about this subject, but I much rather make sure that no one gets in trouble.

Exactly why they are very unclear. They should ban all recording and streaming software with their current stance. It’s pretty stupid how they go about this.

1 Like

Blizzard keeps a very clear definition of cheating in the Blizzard Code-of-Conduct.

Cheating

You are responsible for how you and your account are represented in the game world. Cheating in any fashion will result in immediate action. Using third-party programs to automate any facet of the game, exploiting bugs, or engaging in any activity that grants an unfair advantage is considered cheating.

Exploiting other players is an equally serious offense. Scamming, account sharing, win-trading, and anything else that may degrade the gaming experience for other players will receive harsh penalties.

Streaming and recording software in of itself does not do this. When a program can exploit data, that is where it crosses the line.

5 bucks a month heck that

but no it should not as it doesnt modify any of the game’s files

this thread is not advertising, its asking a question about if i can use something in game or not. this post was literally made so i don’t get my account suspended, so im not in the wrong

3 Likes

I don’t think you are, but if this was a 100% legitimate hack, I would take every measure to make sure to remove the link. (Usually asking you, the OP, first remove the link.)

As mentioned, I simply reported to Blizzard via their hacks report form. You will very, very, very likely be NOT banned.

1 Like

its not a hack all it does is track stats

(whoops didnt mean to do that)

I know, as I said, the old software Pursuit did exactly this, but it was deemed cheating. I don’t personally necessarily agree with that decision, but my goal here is to make sure that players don’t accidentally cross a line and get in trouble.

Hell, for a while Pursuit was “endorsed” by the Philadelphia Fusion, Contenders Team Angry Titans, and the UK World Cup team. It was a mess when Blizzard came down on the matter.

4 Likes

This software also existed when Pursuit was banned, but this software was not banned. I mean, as far as I can tell, neither of them violate the rules as written, but when Blizzard sends out warnings prohibiting Pursuit by name, then pursuit is banned.

I don’t know what the difference is, exactly, and pursuit has shut down operations, but maybe pursuit was reading in-game memory or monitoring your mouse/keyboard inputs or something more than just pure image processing.

Honestly, there’s no reason that OverTrack needs to be running while the game is, you could get the same effect by reading a recording of the game afterwards. Maybe they should re-implement it to work that way, at least as an alternative. In any case, there will probably be tools that generate stats from your replay files in the near future… whether that’s OverTrack or someone else.

Anyway, as far as I can tell, yeah… Pursuit is banned, because Blizzard says it is banned. OverTrack is not banned, because Blizzard does not say that it is banned.

another blunder by the ow team. Yeah they should be allowed but aren’t.

1 Like

I thought Pursuit was banned not for being a hack, but for being indistinguishable from a hack to their anti-cheat measures. I know from a practical standpoint there is no difference, but it’s still an important philosophical point. Wasn’t it just an unfortunate casualty of technical limitations? (Those limitations still apply here, so be careful OP)

Your boots, sir. Side of barbecue sauce as well.

1 Like

Not really sure.

They did make a statement saying that tracking systems like that (specifically pursuit) were not allowed.

But I watched Fareeha’s stream yesterday and in her chat there was an overtrack bot saying the details of the last match played, and I don’t think she’s been banned for it.