Is mercy fun? for not mercy mains

I don’t really enjoy Mercy or play her. Her most interesting aspects from the times I tried her are her mobility and constant decision-making.

I flex over the entire lineup except for Zarya, Brigitte, Genji and Mercy, all of whom I don’t really enjoy playing very much.

1 Like

Being a main and a one-trick are two different things. You can be a Mercy main while still having hundreds of hours on other heroes. You may want to make a stronger exception that only excludes people who mostly play Mercy versus a Mercy main that has many hours on other heroes.

1 Like

If you turn on toggle, then as far as I know it’s unreasonably difficult to change from damage to healing (or vice versa) on your target if someone else is in the way. The beam will attach to the person in the way.

That’s kind of a big difference. Her ult used to feel very impactful - it felt like if you used it right, you could win games. Now it’s meh, along with her healing, all to make room for an OP E ability that’s not fun to use.

1 Like

I think Non-Mercy mains find her fun because they never enjoyed the passive playstyle Mercy always sorta had. Yes she could get in to some riskier situations, however her value to the team was much greater than it is now.

Non-Mercy mains seem to play her more aggressively and willing to take a bit more risk because of that.

From what I can see is that Mercy Mains played her a bit more passively and tried to keep those up who knew when to pull back, and not follow those who rushed in. And to be fair, that was fine because of how valuable she was-she was suppose to be the go to healer pumping consistent heals all throughout the match.

However, she no longer plays like this.

Yes, her play style HAS changed. It wasn’t just “Oh her ult just changed”, it was more that than especially now with the healing nerf.

Mercy has lost her value as a target-and that should be capitalized on. It’s why I’m so at a lost when people get so ragey over a Battle Mercy now. It’s a way of adapting and possibly the best use of Valk because she can take out Widows and now even harass back line healers and she will have that mobility.

Mercy players like her as a healer, and a pure healer because that’s very much against the FPS genre, and was why she was made to be that way. To bring in that non-FPS audience. But now that’s changed and to some, there’s no reason to stick around because of that, and I can’t blame them.

Mercy still isn’t in a good spot. She really doesn’t bring much to the team that other healer and off healers bring and better. Yes I think she should get looked at again because she really is kind of a mess design wise.

And, yes, Mercy mains are right-she does play differently now. It was more than just her ult that really changed with this.

2 Likes

You forgot 2+M1 and shooting at Widows.

Just like cc it is the removal of control of my character, automation of beam juggling during ult, on top of free flight and being unkillable during it.

the reduce in skill floor and skill ceiling have both been reduced and the difference between a gm and gold mercy are way smaller then they were pre rework.

Its less fun because I cant prove me worth as a player on mercy as it gives me no tools to hone my skills with.

Nobody likes having their hand held.

Its not fun.

The rework is a failure on all fronts, hide and rez is still around and now its the only way to use rez.

This mercy in its current state being up is bad for the game and the hero’s she pairs best with.

we should want balance between the healers as they are the ones that most affect the meta so if you balance them properly you should in theory get a better and healthier meta.

especially if they are all balanced and fun as they all should be for their mains.

1 Like

Because she was F-tier before invuln and any nerfs would’ve made her the first G-tier hero. It wasn’t until after invuln frames that she FINALLY became C-tier. But that also broke the F out of her in low ranks. She was finally usable in high ranks, but completely busted at low ranks. They could’ve went with a damage reduction, a new E, and then nerf it with LoS and cast time, but by itself, it wasn’t able to be nerfed.

3 Likes

She’s definitely more fun now than she was in the old Mass Res days, mostly thanks to the momentum mechanics on GA, but I can’t say I found her very fun in any state.

you said she was OP. she wasn’t OP. “pretty great” and OP are different things. there are lots of pretty great characters I wouldn’t consider OP. Tracer and Genji jump to mind. good players are hell to deal with, but not OP.

When I played mass rez I was just starting to get into the ranks where people knew to save their ultimates for after she rezzed making her multirez into just another team wipe. and the rank was high plat-low diamond. (I just managed to reach diamond right before the rework dropped) I can only imagine how absolutely brutal it must have been to play her diamond and above where people would actually track ultimates and ability cool downs.

no
hide n rez was a mercy hiding before the teams gets rekt to rez them full hp.

now u gotta carefully plan the rez AFTER your teammate dies and it requires a lot more decision making.

there is an entire guide on how to secure rez in multiple situations and it has about an hour

Not fun, in my opinion. Even Bastion is more fun to play as than Mercy right now.

A flex player who mostly plays Sym, Mei, Ana, Moira and D.va, but I did play a ton of Mercy up until the January nerf.

With that said, no, I dont find her fun anymore. Her ult is lackluster, her rez feels awful to use and her healing is so low now for a main healer.

I like playing mechanically challenging heroes, so naturally Mercy came off as a bore to me. She is nice when you just want to chill and relax though, but I’ll probably still find myself playing Zen and Ana more often.

Shes always been boring to me. 1.0, 2.0, everything after. Her core kit, and core playstyle as remained the same throughout, with things like GA tech bugs being kept as features and she still remained boring. And she’ll always BE boring for me. Almost everything about her is reactive, I prefer being proactive. :man_shrugging:

I’m an Orisa/Lúcio main, but i play a fair amount of Mercy along with Moira, Ana, Rein, Winston, and to a lesser extent the off tanks/supports + Sombra/Symmetra.

I enjoyed Mercy when i first got the game. Her ult was challenging, and her kit was conprehensible. Her actual non-ult gameplay was pretty slow though. Now, it’s much more streamlined

New movement ability + E ability + multipurpose ult, it adds an element of multitasking to her kit. It requires more activity to get her maximum value, and can still lead to big plays, just less reliably, and with a higher risk/reward ratio.

Honestly, I never touched really any support because I never liked any of them until Mercy got the GA change. I dunno about other people, but I find plenty she has plenty to do provided you actually try to keep yourself busy. The only support I ever want to play.

• The tech part is in her flying between allies to manage long distance, short distance, to target, or fly upwards.
  • The decision making should keep you busy because there are better optimal targets to damage boost than others when you have the chance. Such as long range you should damage boost that mccree rather than reinhardt.
  • You should be juggling between keeping everyone’ health at a minimum threshold evenly or figuring out who needs healing the most when another person you might let die to rez or not.
  • While balancing who to heal you need to ideally be ware of should you actually heal someone or not or can you maintain connection without dying going out of cover.
  • There are the decision moments obviously of when to rez or not or realizing you might be able to get to someone later after a time.
  • The final part is when you are not busy doing all of that stuff you should have time to keep track of ults and rely information to your team to positions and stuff as you are the best character to get vantage point on a fight.

All in all, Mercy has plenty to keep herself busy between flying about tech, managing healing streams and damage boost as needed as you fly by people and trying to give some information by making sure to look around doing some 180 turns to survey the field. For me, that feels busy enough trying to multitask all that.

She’s boring and her skill ceiling is her skill floor. The only redeemable thing about the rework is her movement tech, which came from a bug.

I wouldn’t call her my main, but she is my go-to healer when needed.
Although since the nerfs, I’ve been playing a lot more Moira and Ana.

I loved the Valk rework. I felt really passive and bored with Mass Rez and Valk makes me feel like I’m part of the fight more. Also not being able to rez as much means that I need to be careful with who/when/where to rez at any time.

As for the buffs, I love them. I’d prefer if her main healing was 60hps as well, but given that valk charges a lot faster now, I’m not really complaining. At the end of the day it’s a buff. And I’m happy with a buff.

The rework? Not since the nerfs to it that turned rez into snail mode and took the speed/etc from Valk, no.

And even before the fun parts were removed, the rework always dumbed down her general game-play (which really didn’t need to be any easier) due to the chain beams, uninterruptible self-heal, and thoughtless mobility during Valk. The best part of it (and only thing that improved her skill ceiling) was the accidental GA buff.

Pre-rework? Needed a better mid-fight (new GA would’ve been enough probably) but overall yes, it was enjoyable and took more thought. I found fighting her more enjoyable then for that matter too.

The rework lowered her skill-ceiling, and the nerfs lowered it even further. It is the opposite of what you claim. She’s now easier to play than ever.