Is Mercy considered a throw pick now?

Yes, I am a Mercy main, in Masters. I climbed from Gold mostly in solo queue by playing almost exclusively her, flexing to other supports if met with another Mercy main. I built myself up, no matter how unskillfull you think she is. I just find her fun, she’s in the game, so I play her.

I am really glad other supports got buffs. I don’t want Mercy to be OP or dominant because of her kit, I agree with everything in Titanium’s post too. I just want her to be fun – which she currently very hardly is, but that’s a different topic.

I would like to know if you guys received hate for picking her? Or have you received accusations of throwing?

Why am I asking?

A few days after the nerf I jumped into comp to try her out and right in the first game I was met with so much hate and toxicity towards my pick. I was bullied into playing other support, I even received death threats if I politely declined, or have been accused for throwing. In another game, I had my whole team report me (or at least they said so) even though I was doing my job as always.

Mind you, my profile is open. I would hope one glance on my stats would convince that this player is gonna do their job and heal as much as they can, so no throwing there. You can check that for yourself. I also do a lot of shot calling and always try my best to win and to help my team, anyway, that’s how I got to Masters from Gold in three seasons.

But that’s not enough for others I’ve found out. Since then, 90% of my games I’m being harassed for my Mercy pick. Is she so bad that I’m gonna be forced to play Ana or Moira, eg. the meta main healers now? Am I in the same situation as basically every other support main ever before Mercy’s nerf? I just want to play the hero I like…

I find it really sad funny that before the nerf everyone would be asking for Mercy (and no support main was bullied into playing her if I was in the team btw :slight_smile: ) but now? It seems completely the other way around. Is she a non-meta hero or why I’m treated like she is?

Before you go “it’s about time she was a must-pick for too long!”, please note I agree with that. The problem is that now I’m hated for my pick. Combine it with the usual Mercy hate slurs and you’ve got a nightmare instead of a nice comp game. I doubt that can be considered good balance. Yes, it’s just from my games and meibe I was unlucky, bit I really did not have this problem before the last nerf.

Before it, I would usually get acknowledged for my work, getting lovely grateful messages when I saved people (for example I peel hard for my second healer if I have one, they never get harmed under my watch! Well, almost never). Now I feel like I don’t even exist, or when I do, it’s because I’m the one to blame for pretty much anything. But why, when I’m playing literally the same as before, meibe even better since it’s harder to keep people alive?

And P.S. Yes I do switch off if they ask me nicely and/or if it benefits the team more than Mercy. I love playing Moira on Control Center for example!

Thanks for reading through that and/or replying.

EDIT: Thank you guys for your replies. It seems that my awful experiences were just unlucky and most of you haven’t encountered toxicity just for picking her.

Guardian angels away

11 Likes

I dont know if I got hate for playing as her but if shes a troll pick now I’m kinda worried to play as her now because I don’t want to be accused of throwing or dont want to get banned just for playing as her

3 Likes

It’s hard to say if she really is. My experience might be extreme and not relevant to everyone, that’s why I am asking if I’m alone or nah. Hope you don’t experience anything like it tho!
Also, don’t be afraid to play her. She’s in the game, if you like playing her and think you will benefit the team, you should be fine. Unless Mercy players started to get the Symmetra treatment…

1 Like

No. Mercy is still :heart:

6 Likes

First off, I absolutely LOVE your name.

But yeah, I haven’t received any sort of hate for playing Mercy recently. No one’s minded, actually it’s been quite the opposite. I get endorsed and complimented a ton.

The other day I 1v1’d a Widowmaker in a hall on Kings Row and someone on my team called me the “glock queen,” it was pretty great.

3 Likes

I wish she is. I understand my experience may not be relevant but it surely surprised me how much hate I’ve gotten for picking her in about 20-30 games.

I wonder how much of the low win rate of the “throw picks” in this game is because of all the idiots who throw a hissy fit when they see a teammate chose such a hero. Must be a pretty high percentage…

1 Like

Haha, thank you! :heart: That’s pretty much the only compliment I’ve received in-game since the nerf, heh.

Sounds fun, hunting Widowmakers is one of my favourite things to do :slight_smile:
Hope you will only have good games!

2 Likes

Reinhardt basically needs his supports to keep him alive now because he himself can’t, so if that’s the situation then i can see why they want you to swap. Excellent name btw.

I mean, i think any other support is better than her after these changes, but she’s not a throw pick… yet…

1 Like

The answer to both of your questions is no.

That being said, I bet you and I use her a bit differently.

1 Like

Show me another hero that can rez

1 Like

I don’t think she’s a troll pick. She still does fine.

But I am reading some posts in this thread saying that they’re afraid they will get reported for throwing for playing Mercy. I wanted to address that.

I got reported a few times for playing Ana during the height of Mercy dominance. Nothing ever came of it. So don’t fret :). Even if you get reported for “throwing,” it wouldn’t affect you at all.

1 Like

What happens when you get accused of throwing?

Plus, now that she hasn’t a Impactful ultimate, like Mercy 1.0 even if it was quite considered a throw pick

They are working on it :stuck_out_tongue:

I wouldn’t call her a throw pick but in my games, she’s an insane nuisance to the team at the moment. I don’t know if it’s elo related but in the first few games I played her after the nerf, I felt like I was doing next to no healing.
I personally haven’t touched her ever since, she basically turned into a pocket healer, dedicated to heal one person only for the whole game and let the second healer do the rest because she doesn’t heal enough anymore.
And enemy teams with a Mercy on the team are insanely easier to take down now as well.

Yet…

1 Like

I don’t see her as a throw pick, but rather becoming on par with other healers and giving them a chance to be played.

1 Like

She is back to being a pocket healer, she cannot heal solo anymore.She should be helping the carry person of the team like Hanzo/ Junkrat/ Phara etc while your second healer keeps everyone alive ( Moira / Ana)

Ana is limited about the player skill, she is not an easy character to pick and go like Mercy.