Is Genji even getting nerfed?

Jeff said we are looking at the hitbox and the VFX, so I think it’s fair to say it could just be one of the 2 and not necessarily both, they are just looking into both.

Now it might well be the hitbox changes, but if it is only the animation then I don’t think you can call that a nerf as he will be identical mechanically.

I’m not sure why there has been quite so much backlash considering how few details we have and that an actual nerf to his game-play hasn’t been 100% conformed yet, it might be a little early to get angry about this.

2 Likes

First off the are stating they are working on updating both and secondly I’ve barely seen a backlash about this.

2 Likes

I did say he said both, but that could just as easily mean looking into both as it could defiantly changing both. Its quite a short post and it sin’t an update so I wouldn’t take it 100% verbatim which was my point.

I have seen backlash, not as much as I might have expected considering it’s Genji that’s getting looked at, but I’ve seen a bit and it may just be me but I saw it tick up today. I just thought I’d bring this up as a simple animation fix is probably the best thing Genji players could hope for as the amount of discontent around deflect meant something was going to be done and it looks like the minimal (i.e. best) fix is on the cards.

Its not a nerf they are making deflect be what it should have always been in the first place, took them 2 years, but finally did it. Does give me hope thou, maybe a couple of years from now they will realize Tracer needs to be nerfed, slowly but surely they say.

1 Like

He outright states that they are updating both. And the backlash is so minuscule it’s barely there. You should have seen the backlash to Zenyatta’s 0.06 second nerf.

I think the backlash from the Zen nerf has more to do with the fact that no one asked for it, it makes almost no sense besided nerfing JJonak and the community have expressed their opinions on so many other things that have nothing to do with that and Blizzard is like “hmm lets nerf Zen”.

1 Like

Yeah sure, some questions would be fine but people were acting like he would become F-Tier.

Well i don’t know about other people, i didn’t follow that particular situation that close, but in my personal case, my frustration has more to do with the fact that most of the time it feels like Blizzard doesn’t give a frak about what the community says unlike what they tell us.

Yeah, Blizzard just does whatever the hell it wants. I honestly cannot tell who exactly they are balancing for.

Why would they nerf a balanced hero

If a character underperforms at low ranks but overperforms at high ranks that does not mean that they are balanced. I believe it means they have high potential but are a bit hard to use that good. This is called high skill floor and high skill ceiling.

He doesn’t overpreform though, if you see the stats, what you described is tracer

Apologies I haven’t checked the statistics in relation to Genji in a couple weeks. You’re right. He is pretty much in the middle of winrates in Bronze and GM.

Genji is balanced.

So Genji isn’t getting nerfed.

I find this to be a minor nerf. It would help McCrees when it comes to flashing him but overall this wouldn’t really hurt or help him. It would make him feel more consistent to fight against however.

1 Like

https://us.forums.blizzard.com/en/overwatch/t/curious-question-for-genjis-main/58125?u=somvra-1200

Take a look at the post that I made.

backlash doesnt seem to be strong unless we are talking about a support
and im pretty sure that not even all support players make a big deal out of these, its just a really loud part of them that sometimes feel worse than a cat with rabies
just sayin >:c

Fun fact Genji and Tracer’s stats are largely similar across the ladder but with him having higher win rates in bronze-diamond and her overall win rate being under 50%. I don’t think Genji is OP, but by that logic neither is she as the stats say he is better (just).

The question is if an animation fix is a nerf or not? I would say no as it won’t change how the hero plays or any mechanics, yes he will be easier to fight as the animation will help his enemies but nothing about how he works has changed, so that isn’t really a nerf.

If the hit box is actually changed then it obviously is a nerf to a pretty balanced hero but deflect isn’t exactly a go to example of game balance. Deflect is on the strong side and could afford to be nerfed without becoming trash or making Genji trash. It is possible for a mostly balanced hero to have an OP ability like back when Genji could jump endlessly, Ana’s nade was better than some ults or Hanzo’s scatter where we see a pretty weak hero profit off an OP ability.

The complaints about deflect meant something would happen and while I hope it is only an animation change it will not be the end of the world, or Genji, if his hitbox gets a bit smaller.

As a gm support I wouldn’t care if he got nerfed. He’s perfectly balanced however and just his reflect hitbox needs fixing.
If he got nerfed instead of Tracer I’d be annoyed also.

Genji is more annoying than OP, so I doubt he will get an outright nerf any time soon.

Also he is only used super-prominently when the meta is blisteringly fast, so the general slow down in at least OWL means he is seeing less use overall.