Is Blizzard aware of the "report me for free name change" trend that's gaining traction?

https://i.imgur.com/MMhrOqk.jpg

Sure, you can report the group title but that doesn’t really do much since there’s always going to be other people doing it, and they will keep doing it while it works.

2 Likes

Does no harm right? annoying yes but better than AFK EXP HERE, plus don’t reported names just be stuck as “Player”? their loss

As far as I know their name does get changed to “Player” but they also get a free name change. And considering the language differences on EU it is already hard to filter out all the French/Russian groups and now there’s one more thing that floods LFG.

3 Likes

Why would you bring light to it?

It’s a problem that blizzard charges you for money the cheapskates.

10 Likes

I am by no means saying Blizzard are innocent. It sucks that they’re one of the few platforms that charge you for a name change while on Steam I can have a new name every minute if I wanted to. It also sucks that they’re cheap enough to have automated this “punishment” which is why it’s abusable right now.

But on the other hand LFG is one of the few nice things left in this game that allow you to just chill with random peeps and it’s being exploited like this.

Yeah I agree.
There is literally no reason for them to charge you for a name change. It almost certainly doesn’t cost them anything to do so. It’s just Blizzard being greedy as usual.

Other game companies such as Mojang doesn’t charge you anything for changing your player name, but they do restrict you from changing it again for 30 days.

I think it’s whatever if people are “abusing” the LFG system so they can get a free name change. I don’t blame them honestly.

1 Like

I see no problem here. It doesn’t cost Blizzard $15 to change a few lines of code in the servers (more on the magnitude of a fraction of a cent), so why should it cost that much for the end-user?

I’d say this is not really a problem in any way.

5 Likes

Because people ask for free renames so that they can sell the account.

Doesn’t Riot charges you 10 bucks just to change regions?

Trend gaining traction? That’s been around before battletags were even created.

Pretty sure, because it’s been a thing in Wow since Vanilla.

1 Like

Mojang also doesn’t allow name overlap, but that’s an iffy one imo. Still not as bad as charging 10 bucks for a damn name change, but it’s still kinda odd. Charging 10 bucks for a name change though, who hurt you Blizzard? It’s a fully automated process that takes a brief moment to update the variable’s value in the server’s database once the user sends in their input, not something that would cause a server overload and will cost money to repair.

It’s gaining traction in OW. There used to be much fewer groups like these and now I see multiple of them all the time.

Why should we care, are we Bliz accountants or sth. Other than the service itself is scam (theres no cost for them)

Does this still work?

when im in a trolling mood i report the group title instead

it only works with one extra name change.
After that you have to pay for a name change or the name remains default as “Player”.

Why is this a problem?