Is Bastion really that bad in competitive?

I think Bastion’s problem is silver players.
They’re smart enough to play against Bastion, but not smart enough to play with it.
Like, they understand how each character should react to Bastion, but they never think how their actions are going to affect their most powerful yet vulnerable DPS source.
PSA for silver players: On defence, never retreat behind a sentry Bastion just because two or three enemies are coming towards you, unless you are on a sliver of health. The Bastion will die without getting any kills, and the enemy will be at a 1-player advantage as well as having gained ground. Keeping the fight away from Bastion but still in view will result in everyone being mowed down in seconds.

I’m at 1900SR, so I play with both silver and gold, and I find that silver players will happily leave Bastion open even to small pushes while gold players hold their ground for the 5 seconds it takes for everyone to run or die from the hail of bullets.
Bastion seems more viable in gold than in silver, but since most people play silver first they learn not to play Bastion.

1 Like

The issue with Bastion is that hes terrible without having his team build around him.

Thats why i keep asking for Sentry to be changed to a CD ability, so we can work the rest about him. (similar to how they did with Torb)

Bastion has been left untouched for a long time, he’s in need of buffs, however his base kit is still usable, if you enjoy the hero play it. Blizzard is bound to buff or fix it eventually. Even if he’s the forgotten omnic. On a side note, you shouldn’t stress your SR. Just have fun playing bastion if you enjoy it.

You shouldn’t need to build an entire team around one hero just to make them work.

He’s horrible rn

4 Likes

No, he destroys double shield comps and pirateship. Plus if your other dps is god tier then he compliments them perfectly by giving them easier kills

I’d be interested in seeing what people would like to see “buffed” about him without making him instantly delete anyone who comes into his line of sight. Because that’s not fun.

This is exactly why he needs the Torb treatment, they need to take power from his Sentry (making it limited rather than having it always) so they can buff the rest

Yeah he’s pretty bad

For a simple answer… Yes.
Yes he is.

I’m a high plat, Nearly diamond player (I could probably reach diamond if i cared to play more than 10 matches per season) And i Main Bastion.

I would rather play Reinhardt against grandmaster Doomfist, and a Brigitte players.

It’s not just “silver player’s problems”

He just doesn’t work.

One of Bastion’s biggest issues is struggling to win 1v1’s let alone team fights.

Bastion does not reward aim, positioning, nor tactics.
Not anymore.

Not without an ENTIRE Team, built around them.

In competitive you CAN Work around any given hero, if your team can carry them well enough.

Literally.
You can win with ANY Hero on your team, as long as your Team is good in the first place.

But that doesn’t mean that hero is even worth playing, nor “viable” Nor fun… ;-;

Damn… I get tired of trying to play Bastion.
In all honesty i wish i could let it go.

I have 700+ Hours on this game, Well over 100 of those (Most on any single hero) Are on Bastion.
I’m not trying to say i “know everything” Or should be an authority on Bastion and the hero’s balance… But when you put THAT Much time into a hero… I would expect to be able to play it without needing a full team playing certain heroes, and All using coms.

And i still… no matter what i do… Cannot function without at LEAST Two dedicated heroes on my team, just to keep me alive.

That is… Alive against one enemy.
In any setting, really.

3 Likes

I used to main battle engineer with jag in TF2, so I appreciate how ridiculously powerful an unexpected high-DPS sentry can be.
Bastion isn’t bad so much as unintuitive to play, because you need to think ahead of your enemy since all your actions are so much slower. Unless you’re well protected you need to think about which threats know where you are and how much time you have to keep shooting before they reach you, because if you’re still just shooting at the enemy by the time they reach you it’s already too late since you can’t do anything but shoot and heal.

Sentry Bastion is so fragile because if caught off guard it has only two options, shoot and heal. If it transforms, it’s even more of a sitting duck since it can briefly do nothing, and then it becomes a big target with no movement abilities.
It’s not a bad hero, but unless you’ve got wallhacks from Hanzo or Widow you need premonition if you’re not closely guarded.
Once again, jag battle engie main, so I’m well practiced with knowing how to position as a slow-moving glass nuke.

1 Like

Yes… Bastion is unintuitive to play…

Especially without rewarding aim, positioning, nor literally having the upper hand.
(If you let a Bastion set up near you, it should be more dangerous, not less… as it currently is.)

In case you are wondering, i’m not ranting at or towards you… Please do not take it personally.

1 Like

Letting a Bastion set up near you is very dangerous if there’s someone else fighting you at the same time.
But there’s just too many heroes that have no trouble making a lone Bastion useless. Ana and Roadhog can both just press shift for an almost guaranteed kill of a flanking Bastion, and given how unlikely a solo Bastion flank is due running into anyone being almost certain death, it reminds me of this: If the Emperor had a Text-to-Speech Device Special 4: Kitten & Tzeentch play a Children's Card Game - YouTube

It’s just…

I just can’t even describe how bad it feels to play Bastion currently…
My BRAIN Hurts. :sob:

I’ve been here for literal years, talking about the hero… the balance…

And you know what?
I would rather play as a constantly junkrat-trapped Tracer, the size of a Roadhog.

Because guess what?
You would deal more reliable damage, with a smaller spread, and better hitbox.
The math backs that up btw.

Bastion deals a maximum of 450 dps, at point blank range…
(Reaper outclasses that btw)

Now factor in distance and bullets lost due to spread:
[Bastion's real damage output (kinda)]

Without being rewarded for hitting somebody in the head, Nor having the trained aim of a sniper.

I have mained Mccree and Widowmaker since the first day this game released…
And i would rather play them, than the hero i dedicated myself to… Since what i have learned through playing for so long can actually get things done playing as either of them.

1 Like

BTW Since this is impossible for me to ever Not do… Have you ever been to the Bastion megathreads?

We love finding new members, and the conversation is dying since everything has already been said

1 Like

Bastion has less spread and falloff than Reaper, and Reaper only does 280 base DPS at point blank. 560 for headshots.
The only time Reaper can do more damage than sentry is by shooting someone in the head at point blank, Reaper’s high spread will take perfectly aimed headshots down to sentry damage only a few metres away and at any distance past that sentry does far more damage.
And there’s no better shieldbuster in the game, unless the shield is extremely far away it’s 1.3 seconds for Winston, 2 seconds for Orisa, and 4.2 seconds for Reinhardt.
If a battle comes down to shields vs shields, a Bastion is an automatic win because the other team has only a few seconds before they’re getting hosed down with bullets.

Yea… But try to answer this.

What about fighting anything that isn’t a shield? :thinking:
Or maybe the enemies behind the shield.

You see… then you have an issue.

Oh, and also fight the two flankers behind you too… those are a thing no matter what.

Btw, here’s a link to the current megathread if you wish to stop by, maybe converse about this further with the only known group of Bastion mains:
[💔 Bastion ISN’T being forgotten, he’s being ignored]

1 Like

You don’t need Sentry on a cooldown to do that. Just remove/rework Ironclad so that isn’t always taking 20% less damage for no reason. It’s how he was balanced before, it’ll work now. It also helps with his pocketing problem because pocketing him will be less effective than it is now.

1 Like

FTFY…

Faster does not always mean better. If you have to expose yourself for those 2-4 (ish) seconds, then you run a much higher risk of dying than someone like Hanzo or Junkrat, who don’t put themselves in nearly as much danger to get pretty fast shield breaking.

Man you need to give up Sentry, otherwise he will always need to be babysited since he cant be too survival with the power sentry has.

Sentry is taking to much space that leaves impossible to balance him.

Just do the same has Torb, take power from Sentry just like they did with Turret

If you give up Sentry, then it’s not Bastion anymore. What if Mercy’s staff was on cooldown, and they just gave her a pistol between uses? That’s pretty much the same as taking away Sentry (Bastion’s primary gun). Without it, he just becomes a worse Soldier…

Also, they didn’t really take power away from Torb’s turret other than his ultimate. In fact, they kinda boosted it’s power by making it automatically level 2, and he doesn’t even have to babysit it to upgrade it.

1 Like