Is Bastion actually a bad pick?

Recently, i have come to notice myself switching to Bastion more often than usual in comp and he is absurdly powerful when played right, despite everyone saying he is essentially a “throw” pick.

Regarding this, I decided to ask my friend, one of the BEST Bastion players in the world, on his opinion about this, where he told me that Bastion is actually a very mid-tier hero, and the common misconception regarding his pick-rate leading people to believe the hero is bad is actually just because people do not pick him up in comp because they do not enjoy his conveyed playstyle, one where you sit on objective, get counter-picked, and then have to flank-bastion.

What do other Bastion players think about the state of this hero in Competitive/Ranked?

1 Like

We all know the memes, of switching to bastion out of desperation because they were about to lose, we all know bastion is thick too, we all know bastion goes brrrrrr but we also know that he sucks.

2 Likes

Not exactly a “throw” pick, but in a very competitive category where you could pick Ashe, Widow, 76, or McCree, why on earth would you pick Bastion? It’s not that Bastion is bad (he’s mid-tier as your boy said), it’s that everyone else is better.

Bastion IS bad. REALLY BAD.

But, you can suprise switch to him if the opponents have the right :wink: comp.
Oh, and he works good in lower ranks as i am still impressed how much people struggle to counter the easiest to counter hero in the game.

You can make bastion working if your team, your whole team is enabling him, on certain maps.

He isn’t that bad in this meta

At low elo you can pirate ship with him.

Bastion is very feast or famine, but unlike Doomfist and Roadhog, there is a lot more the enemy team can do to mitigate Bastion’s options. For example, picking Hanzo. Normally if Hanzo can get LoS on a a Bastion, his storm arrow can either flat out kill Bastion before he can move and get a huge ult chunk, or force Bastion to move, which puts Bastion in a hard spot. And storm arrowing a long range Bastion is not hard at all. Nowhere near as hard as sleeping a Doomfist or blocking Roadhog’s hook. Normally Bastion tilts their own team and/or demands their team play Protect The King and forces them to play around the Bastion, rather than allowing players to use their own ideas. So Bastion isn’t “bad because he’s bad” as much as “bad because there are better options and players don’t like him” Which as a result means he’s hard to make work well, and in effect is bad.

Let me put it like this there’s a reason widow is the strongest dps, why cause your primary is basically as powerful as a ult if you can make it work.

The same applies for bastion except he has a huge hitbox low clunky mobility, but if you can make him work, you basically have a ult on primary.

If anyone is playing Ball, DF, or Winston you basically delete them.