Is ashe religious?

does ashe’s “watch your language” voice line and “hallelujuah” rez voice line refer to having a religious background?

4 Likes

She was raised in Texas, which is a very religious state, so its likely she was raised religious or at least picked it up.

14 Likes

However, she may have simply picked up a style of language centered around religion from being raised in Texas rather than having actually been religious herself.

10 Likes

Don’t see what this has to do with religion. But the hallelujah, maybe. Along those lines, we do know Junkrat is religious. There is an interaction on Nepal that goes:

Now this place? Makes me wanna be an atheist.

5 Likes

I haven’t even thought of it, but now that you’ve said it i find it hilarious.
I’d find it funny and interesting if she was in fact religious.

But i kinda doubt it… The overwatch universe is too vanilla and high Sci-fi to have a real life religion.

1 Like

Well Catholicism is a thing in the universe so it does have real life religion.

1 Like

In Overwatch universe though?

Yes, according to Soldier dog tags on his army skins, it says catholic.

And on Reyes’ Soldier : 24 - none

I think it’s for the kind of ceremony they want if they are killed? (I don’t know much about dogtags ^^)

5 Likes

It’s certainly possible. But a few religious terms and preferences don’t necessarily indicate religious ideology. I’m an atheist, and I say “bless you,” and “god d__n it.” At the very least it’s something she was raised with.

4 Likes

Check out meaning of Jack’s surname - Morrison. It’s about Catholicism also.

1 Like

Texas is very close to their religion so it is not surprise. While Ashe does not look like the type that will probably follow it now nor did as a young teen, she still most likely has memories of going to church every Sunday as a girl and such and has picked up on the habits.

3 Likes

Probably.

And I just wanna take the opportunity offered by this thread to point out how, for me, Ashe is the most antipathic and disgusting character in the whole roster.

She’s an entitled brat who turned out to crime out of boredom and always had her rich parents to bail her out (and probably bribe her release). Add to that her displays of puritanism (Watch your language), and again, entitlement and self-importance, she’s really a piece of work.

I’d be really curious to know if Michael and Alyssa designed her that way, or if it’s just me.
Maybe they wanted her to come across as that badass Texan lady, but in my eyes, she’s the worst.

She’s the last character in OW I’d like to meet in real life, truly. Everything about her rubs me the wrong way.

Which, if intended, is a real feat from Michael and Alyssa, and shows a great design. It’s easy to make a character cool and such…
But to make such an appaling human being, that still retains cohesiveness and credibility, is something else, so kuddos guys.

1 Like

Cue Ashe saying something like “don’t you DARE take the name of Texas in vain!”

Her origin short suggests more that she turned to crime because her parents had neglected her as a child, and did little more than pay her bail and send Bob to pick her up.

Everybody needs a family… because it’s not fair facing the world alone. I don’t care how tough you think you are. They should always be there for support, no matter what. In the best of times, they will arm you with the tools to succeed, and in the worst of times, they will understand when things don’t really go the way you planned. Now, some people are lucky enough to be born into the perfect family. Others… well, they go out and make one on their own

Her family neglected her, so she made her own family with McCree and Bob: The Deadlock Gang, and did something with them that she was good at, crime. Here’s another excerpt from her bio:

Born into a wealthy family, Ashe grew up surrounded by privilege. Her parents were highly sought-after business consultants and coaches for powerful CEOs around the world. Though her parents paid little attention to her (mostly leaving her in the care of the family’s omnic butler, Bob), they ensured that Ashe had every opportunity to succeed. But a chance meeting with a local ruffian, named Jesse McCree, and an impromptu string of crimes committed together opened her eyes to her true calling. The satisfaction of outwitting her targets and the thrill of getting away with it set her on the outlaw path.

2 Likes

Her vocabulary is probably just a product of her surroundings. Some parts of Texas place more value on the bible than accurate textbooks. Their loss.
Ashe isn’t my favorite, but the potrayal feels… a little inconsistent. She was brash and ineffectual in her debuting short, but the bio and her actual story video seemed to imply more of a keen mind, and criminal empire that actually poses real concerns and threats. Not some Saturday morning pushover.

2 Likes

And some would argue the contrary would be the other party’s loss.

There’s nothing wrong with biblical text. The only error is what humanity chooses to do with it, which in most cases, is the antithesis of what the Bible asks of them.

Catholicism, as mentioned in this thread is a prime example.

2 Likes

Probably just points out a stereotypical southern upbrininging :stuck_out_tongue:

I don’t think any hero is religious because that would cause a problem for Blizz (besides Zen, since his is made up in the lore :stuck_out_tongue: )

Reaper is an atheist, and Jack Morrison is a Catholic.

1 Like

Citation needed . . .

1 Like

I said it a few messages ago :

On their young soldiers skins, Soldier and Reaper both have dogtags on their necks, and Morisson’s says Catholic, Reyes’ says None .

5 Likes