Is Ana a good mother?

Oh sorry just in that context she doesn’t sound like a good person

1 Like

I’d say that she not a good mom and definitely doesn’t have her priorities set straight, but she’s definitely not a bad person.

Just very misguided and wrong about her beliefs.

1 Like

The “death” of Ana should have been right around the end of OW, so I wouldn’t be surprised that after she recovered, she realized how many lives have been lost, how many good people have been corrupted, that she didn’t want to continue the “official” path.

Ana is a HORRIBLE mother. Faking your own death even if Pharah was 18 is unforgiveable.

She hasn’t even told her husband.

Plus the way she treats Widowmaker, a brainwashed kindnap victim

and the way she replies to her friend torb about sticking nose in her business just because he is shocked that his allegedly dead friend is alive.

She just didn’t want her family to be killed, tortured or turned into Widowmaker 2.0

Oh she feels bad for Widow, is that why she talks down to her like she chose this life? Terrible woman, hate her interactions.

1 Like

I would see it more as an inner conflict.
You know that it doesn’t matter what you say, Widowmaker is lost, but she also despises what she does.

I don’t know man, look at this exchange:
Mercy: “Pharah, if your mother could see you now, she’d be so proud!”
Pharh: “First time for everything, I guess”

Or
Winston: “your mother was a hero to me, to all of us”
Pharah: “you probably knew her better than me”

Throw in the part where she “died” in action during pharah’s teens, and we get quite a few things painting a picture of a mother who was never “there” for her daughter, always away on duty, but still finding the time to discourage/prevent pharah from joining Overwatch, even though she herself evidently considers it worth spending her life on, even over her daughter (which must have seemed hypocritical to Pharah). There was probably a fair bit of resentment from Pharah, although now that Ana has returned, their voicelines indicate they patched things up.

That still doesn’t justify how she doesn’t really concern herself with just HOW MUCH she’s affected her family.

If anything, she comes off as not wanting to face the music and being fearful of whatever anger or bad feelings they might possess, with good reason.

She hid her death from her family for over a decade, randomly sends her daughter a letter saying that she’s alive, and then instead of actually trying to see them or make any further effort to rectify the situation, she joins Jack Morrison another “dead” person in this deranged vigilante hunt for whatever undescribed evil force is out there.

Like, what the heck Ana???

Not necessarily, a lot of the voice lines are mostly hypothetical interactions based on how the characters could possibly interact and not necessarily rooted in any canon sense.

Canon-wise, Ana hasn’t actually spoken with Pharah and Pharah hasn’t replied to her letter, and if you want to get technical, the same voice lines suggest that Pharah isn’t too happy about Ana keeping her father out of the loop.

1 Like

Oh, well they probably still have differences, I’m just saying that the Ana-Pharah interactions are friendlier than previous stuff seemed to suggest.
(If I’m being cynical, it might simply be because of OW’s general cartoony, rated T for teens tone. Once Ana came out in the game, they put in happy sunshine and rainbows voicelines for her and Pharah, and kept away from any actual conflict and frostiness between a mother and daughter. This is just a dumb guess though.)

It’s hard to justify, but her actions are believable

Oh no doubt, the tone doesn’t make any sense compared to how Pharah reacts with the other heroes and how Ana acts in-lore.

It’s a very jarring change that I feel like was made on the behest of someone else cause it doesn’t really make any sense.

Though I suppose, Ana wouldn’t look all that good or heroic if Pharah was pointing out how she felt wronged by all of Ana’s decisions.

Realistically, as much as we’ve seen pictures and sprays of Ana being around Pharah as a kid, Sam was probably doing the bulk of the parenting and child-rearing while Ana was busy with Overwatch, toiling away with his public servant job (I could definitely see him being a Mountie) while effectively being a single dad.

We just see more of Ana’s side because she’s a playable hero that’s also part of the Big 3 central to Overwatch’s lore.

No doubt, though the point of the matter is that Ana’s been making decisions FOR her family without really taking any consideration for how they feel.

1 Like

I believe Pharah growing up idolized her mother and wanted that life but Ana living it, did everything to dissuade Pharah from Joining Overwatch: denying her combat training, playing as a soldier (Christmas gift voiceline from Ana in HotS) and probably forcing her to pursue other career choices. Whenever Pharah mentions her mother it’s that disappointed tone of a child who can never meet their parent’s expectations.

Still she joined Helix. While not Overwatch, it’s close enough. Which displeases Ana. Which if you dig deep into the interaction Ana has with Pharah regarding Sam, it’s likely Ana resents him for allowing Pharah to live a life in combat service.

Just my thoughts.

1 Like

For her it’s still war and she want to protect her family

Maybe all of her past decisions were to protect her family, misguided as they were, but joining Soldier: 76 on his quest was the point where I felt like Ana had lost her wits.

Talon would go after Ana if they know that Ana is still alive, and probably her family would be attacked too

Except…they do know that she’s alive, both Sombra & Reaper know that Ana is alive and I doubt they’re (well…Reaper) keeping that information private.

Talon, despite being nasty & underhanded terrorists, have reason behind their actions; they don’t just go after a target’s loved ones for no reason.

The only reason that Widowmaker got brought into the mess was because Gérard was so good at stopping their operations, that the only way they could go about getting rid of him is by getting his wife, the person closest to him and least likely to betray him, to kill him.

Ana was just lurking around Egypt and not really doing anything about Talon.

If anything, her saving Jack & getting involved in his crusade puts her family in more danger than her telling her family that she’s alive & going back to them considering that Reaper had absolutely NO plans of going after her.

I’m sorry, but I don’t see how her decisions have helped protect her family in any capacity.