Inside Overwatch: Balance Design and the Experimental Card

Not gonna lie, I had some ?'s above my head when I read this statement:

I realize some heroes did have some smaller changes like are mentioned afterwards, but my god there’s a lot of them that are in no way responsible changes.

6 Likes

Winston, Orisa, Moira, Brigitte and Genji would like to have a word with you.

3 Likes

“when Lúcio’s Jazzy skin was first going in it was supposed to have different music than the base skin, but since it wasn’t ready yet there was a Scott Lawlor voice recording that said “Jazzy speed song, go go go.””

PLEASE GIVE ME THIS I WANT IT SO BAD PLEASE SCOTT

1 Like

I mean I thought they were fine for what they were trying to be (balance the pro scene while trying out things that would be fun to watch because its purely aimed at being a pro patch with 0 regard for ladder), but ya that is far from the perfect patch notes for live.

I think in terms of responsible they mean less should this hero get this or not more the Genji gets an extra 10 seconds on ult every time he kills someone with it type of responsibility or Brigitte health reduced to 1

I don’t even want to mention “designed to be fun” mechanics since they will just give them to new DPS characters.

3 Likes

“Perfect patch notes”

Yeah alright lol

7 Likes

Those are community leaders.

Their fans make up a far larger percentage of the community than the few people on these forums.

Weren’t we due for a regular dev ow2 update in march or something?

2 Likes

Perfect patch notes…

…and other hilarious jokes

3 Likes

Actually destroyed. Yikes.

11 Likes

Ok, but these Forums weren’t the only ones that had negative reactions to this.Several other creators/pros had rather negative reactions to the ExC changes as well.

4 Likes

To be fair, those “perfect patch notes” is something I expected out of Blizzard.

Shame though, would have been better to post this on Thursday.

1 Like

I’m not saying the patch was great, but they are a good representation of the community.

Yes, the perfect illustration of the worst thing in the community.

5 Likes

Honestly it shouldn’t even be called the “balance” team at this point.

Deliberately ruining the game team? Make all our favorite heroes obligatory team? Ruin whoever streamers complain about team?

6 Likes

The irony of them using Moira’s art for experimental…

12 Likes

SO FROM THE INTERVIEW, it seems that they are open to incorporate the thought process to some of the changes presented into the card.

Good to know some ideas might make it to fruition one form or another

1 Like

and discover how the Overwatch community took a shot at creating the perfect patch notes

You mean, reading forums?.. Or did we give up and call “pros” and “streamers” the community?

4 Likes

“The next thing we tried was to allow him to fill other players ult meter some amount by using his own. We tried a couple different versions of this but it was both crazy powerful but also no one ever ‘felt’ it happening, which is basically the opposite of what you want when you’re designing something.”

Huh, there was a thread asking about the potential inclusion of an ult like this recently.