Initial Low FPS followed by normal FPS (RDNA3 GPU)

Hi all

I recently upgraded my GPU with fully and cleanly reinstalled drivers. While starting up the game I noticed A LOT of lag and very low FPS (2 fps initially), after about 10 mins in the practice range the FPS numbers returned to the usual 260 FPS i’m normally used to. Is there any fix for this? is this similar to the shader compile/cache issue that is being described by some as a feature rather than a bug lol.

Many thanks :slight_smile:

do your self a favor and download MSI afterburner and set up a performance overlay so you can see exactly whats the problem.

speaking of that, almost every time i boot up the game my CPU hits 100% usage for couple of minutes then drops down, my guess being to do shader compilation or something like that, even if i havent found literally anything about it. I had the same issue with Ryzen 5 2600x and a much more powerful Ryzen 7 5700x so shaders are my only guess. I vividly remember original overwach didnt do anything of the sorts so thats new here, and it didnt happen when OW2 launched but later on.

What specs do you have ?

Sounds like shaders are compiling each time you launch the game, which is not normal behaviour as shaders should only compile after a game update or possibly GPU driver update.

I used the --tank_WorkerThreadCount x command line option in the game options in the Blizzard Launcher to limit the game to x threads where x is the number of your physical cores NOT logical cores.

I then Reset Shader Cache in AMD Software: Adrenaline Edition.

After that my shaders compiled correctly and compilation shader stutters during gameplay went away.

Some anti-virus/anti-malware programs also seem to be stopping or delaying the game from launching after the 7th of March update, maybe these programs are also causing issues with shader compilation.

Before that the game was unplayable on a Ryzen 5 3600 + RX 6600.

i tried reseting shaders in the software but it still compiles them almosst every boot. its kinda wild that a game like overwatch has to even compile shaders, a potato can run that game lol

This topic was automatically closed 30 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.