Initial Competitive Skill Rating, Decrypted

I’ve bought a new account recently. I will gather data, starting in season 12 and let you know the results.

1 Like

Since it does not appear that you are reading and understanding what I am writing, I will stop responding to you.

QED - We’re not matematicians here (or so i guess) and this response is a good counter argument. Unlike your other one wich was not (it wasn’t fleshed out enough for us to take seriously unless we were in the know (wich we probably aren’t - I sure am not)). Gotta stack the parantheses!

Hi, Kaawumba.
I’ve got some initial data for new account.
https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1TBdpG3ahtD31QZ0Xn6HMygxruuIM1285n2cHCNHsNwg/edit?usp=sharing
Feel free to use it. I realize that there is not enough data for the moment, but I am still playing.

P.S. The K/D ratio and Eliminations graphs look nice. OW matchmaker at its finest.

Since you’re willing to create an entirely new account and record all this data, here’s your next data/experiment request:

Make your second account a tank only account for the rest of the season. Since you don’t usually tank you will probably lose SR. The last 10 days of the season try to rank back up using Zenyatta, your best hero which should bring you back to your original SR, right?

-The experiment necessities are that you must play throughout the season as a tank only (probably a good 15 hours which is relatively low amount of play time for a season). This means tank throughout the match. Right now the meta encourages at least two tanks, and at times 3 tanks for GOATS so you should have no issue doing this.
-I am not asking you to throw games, try your best with a tank. Blizzard is 100% ok with having a second account that is a “tank only” account and this is not considered throwing.

I made a new account to see where I would get placed so I tryharded QP as sombra onetrick because PBMMR and after the first few levels I played against mostly diamonds masters in QP, checked profiles of those who didn’t had I private. My first placement game was against mostly diamonds and a few masters, since I lost the first 2 games it dropped me down to play with and against plats and I also placed in plat after the 10 placements.

Your QP MMR is indeed matter for your FIRST placement game and adjust extremely quickly for the rest of the placements. Since I’m in no way a diamond master player but my sombra stats were great and no many sombras around and I played the 25 QP levels extremely well and watched for a high KD, got under 3 deaths per 10 minutes, my accuracy was over 43% I just cheated my performance based MMR but since I’m not a diamond master player, I’m in high gold, my placements I played as zarya so I got stomped first two games, dropped to play against plats and after that I had even games. The matchmaker for your first games is very good to get you near your real rank my season high here is 2458 and with the new account I got placed 2700 and dropped to 2500 quickly

Is the new account on the Season 12 tab? It is probably a good idea to label the tabs by account as well as season.

A tank only alt account is fine. Suddenly switching to my main to carry myself out of whichever rank I end up in is not fine.

P.S.
Goats isn’t really a thing in gold and below. In plat, people try it sometimes and face plant because they have no idea how it works.

1 Like

Well, this contradicts all my other data, and there is quite a bit of it at this point. Hopefully this means that Blizzard took my advice, and new account competitive placement is now seeded with quick play. It is unfortunate, but Blizzard has been known to make silent changes to the system, so they may have done that again.

The forums being what they are, I hope you understand that I will need more, independent stories (or a stream VOD that I can check myself, or maybe a ton of screenshots) before I change my statement that quick play is not used to seed competitive.

Could you link the profile of your alt account? Do you remember your placement record and order of win/losses? Do you remember exactly what it placed at?

1 Like

It was only the FIRST placement game who it seems took my QP MMR I lost the first 2 games and was instantly placed with and against plats. Can’t remember the rest of the placement matches but I guess it was around 50/50 WL since I got placed plat. But couldn’t hold that rank and dropped to my mains SR within a few games because I lost extremely many points, like over 50 per games until I dropped to around 2500ish

I’ll make a new account and try to take a VOD of my first placement matches and screens from my last QP games with profiles of my opponents and screens from the profiles of my first placement matcz

In the same vein, I also got a credible but unsubstantiated report of someone losing 0 SR on a loss without evidence of the known bug. If we’re able to confirm that would be the final removal of the feel-good SR changes that no one really likes.

I am at level 24 on my alt, now. Probably hit 25 tonight. I’ll take screenshots after each game of the people I’m playing with and against. I’m not sure how helpful it will be. I feel pretty comfortable in low gold but really notice a skill difference in people that are around 2350. It’s hard to say how people play in QP when their main is 2350 in comp. If they play at my tryhard QP level then I may get initiated as 2350 whether it’s seeded per your suggestion or not.

You give me the impression that you believe all facts from this game can only be derived from blue posts, is there a blue post backing your statement above? I’m genuinely curious where you came up with this idea and the logic behind it because I think there isn’t any.

For the purpose of experimentation, allowing your SR to tank then switching to your main and smurfing is unethical. This is causing harm to others that you know or should know would occur.

Someone that just happens to do it because they want to play tank for awhile then realizes they’re not good at tank is not unethical because you don’t “know” that you will be throwing, you’re just playing the game. It will cause disruptions, but that’s different than being unethical.

Someone who plays a hero they don’t play well with the intent of deranking so they can play a hero they do play well to smurf some easy games is doing something unethical in the same way the experimenter would be, they know or should know that they will be disrupting the normal function of the system.

The difference is that the experimenter doesn’t do it because they have ethical standards, something the smurf does not have.

1 Like

? I made a smurf and it placed high diamond and got it to masters in like 10 games

You don’t happen to know the ranking of the players of the first placement game, do you?

What Ozone said.

My comment: Will I get banned for it? Unlikely. Is it bullying? Yes. Should I be a bully ? No.

Right and wrong is not only a matter of laws / blue posts / terms of service. Just because something is nominally legal does not make it okay.

Nope but i think gold

So you played to level 25 in QP to test whether QP has any affect on Comp placement? How does that make any sense? The better way to test is to play no QP games at all, meaning all Arcade mode games, and then test Comp placement. If it’s similiar to the all-QP account, then it’s obvious that QP doesnt matter.

Common experimental mistake. The hypothesis was that QP would affect Comp seeding. The null hypothesis is that it doesn’t, of course. To prove the null hypothesis, you would need to design a protocol where QP would have the greatest effect on Comp seeding, so he played really bad in QP for a test and observed the resultant seeding. As it turns out, the null hypothesis was supported. He saw no noticable effect from playing poorly in QP on Comp seeding.

If he had done your version, it wouldn’t have been clear if the lack of seeding was due to QP not seeding or to QP not being used.

2 Likes

Chopping off mouse heads is also unethical but sometimes you have to do stuff for the sake of science/experimentation, and changing from a tank to a healer in Overwatch is far less questionable than cutting off heads so maybe we should consider that in the big picture of things it’s not that big of deal.

I could also argue that one tricking is also unethical, many people say it’s throwing and report people for it, Kaawumba is a Zen one trick, where are his strong ethics there?

If we’re honest here he won’t do that experiment for other reasons, but it’s not because his ethics are just too strong.

But let me save you guys the time experimenting. What happens is when the matchmaker sees you play at a SR l for a certain amount of time it aims to keep you there. So even if you change to your hero’s that can get you to around 800+ sr you won’t rank up and the games will be rigged to keep you at the rank it believes you should be at. After heroic efforts the matchmaker will eventually let you rank up if you continue to play far beyond your level, but it will be astronomically more difficult than it should have been. I’ve just explained the crux of the majority of issues in Overwatch, including toxicity, game throwing, people boosting, buying multiple accounts, and complaining on the forums about the competitive system.