Initial Competitive Skill Rating, Decrypted

i think the SR gains and losses are just way higher. qp shouldn’t have any impact, but based on your performance you get something like 250-400 SR the first game you win

from watching top 500 players doing placements on new accounts and seeing them go from 1st game gold-gold/plat over 2nd game plats, 3rd game plat/diamond 4th game diamond and 5th or 6th game the first masters showing up with the last game being pretty much completely gm (eventually one or two masters) and then placing ~3.7k-3.8k

i think it’s save to say that performance plays a much bigger role in your first placements

In 2018 Aug.

QP/arcade MMR still does not matter for initial placements.
I attached sceenshots where you can see my low elims/life in QP(Ana stats does not matter I played ~3 QP after my placements). I leveled up with my real bronze(~1300ish sr) friend. We were only matched against bronze/silvers. So my MMR was bronze/silver. I have not even touched a real dps hero to avoid MMR increase. I even got the warning at level19 (overwatch players should not behave like this), so people reported me for being bad.

At level25 my first placement game was in gold and not in bronze. For the last 9 games I teamed up with a high gold friend and got rated at 3590.

https:/ /imgur.com/a/QcAZJKh

So you played with a gold in placements and got placed master how does that happen? Also what SR is your main account

Also what SR is your main account

I am not a top player, but I can maintain GM(~4100+) on my main without tryharding.

So you played with a gold in placements and got placed master how does that happen?

He reached plat after the 2nd/3rd game. I don’t know how it happens, but if I play placements with a mid gold I usually end up at ~3200-3300. So with low-plat 3500-3600 seems ok for me. Obviously I can reach higher in solo (if i don’t get too many throwers in first games). But it was for fun and to prove qp/arcade mmr has nothing to with initial placements even when you are bronze in those modes.

Huh that’s interesting, i would think that diamond would be the max rating you could get queuing w/ a plat/gold but I guess not. Also probably has to do with you actually being GM and the game can see that you’re good so that’s why it placed you in master

I think your theory is flawed right out the gate because you’re not factoring other modes into the equation , which doesn’t really make sense.

Before you touch Competitive, grinding those first 25 levels isn’t just the games way of ensuring you’re experienced enough to effectively participate… It’s also establishing your MMR, which determines the calibur of players you get matched with.
While there is more or a “random” aspect to the matchmaking in arcade and quick-play, it still will try to place you with more similarly skilled players than not.

Heck, how do you think the matchmaking handles what group you initially get put in for placements? If it is too random, the algorithms would never get an accurate calculation of your skills. A Diamond-level player could put up Top 500-level stats if he’s going against a bunch of bronze jobbers. And a platinum-level player could put up mid-silver level stats if you put in groups with GM killers.

Though you certain get a mixed bag in quick-play, you’ll often find yourself with a majority of the people in, or near your rank, why is that if your MMR doesn’t carry over at all?

I think the QP games in the first 25 levels do matter. In my latest alt account, by the time I reached level 25, I was playing with people in QP who are mostly in gold. Then in my first placement game, I noticed that the other players were also mostly in gold. Interestingly I ended up in at exactly 2,350 SR after placement, precisely at where the OP said is the median SR.

I attached screenshots, I created this account only for this reason. I was playing against bronze players in mystery heroes and quick play. I did nothing. I have worse elims/life, overall stat than any bronze player. I almost got suspended even before my actual comp games. And after that I played against gold people for my first placement and not bronze.
What do you actually need other than screenshotted proof with my open profile?

In each and every case if you are doing solo queue for your first placements you play against other low levels or gold players cos gold is the rank for average/new players. Nothing to do with QP/Arcade.

Thanks M0rchPonkey. You’ve given a good data point on what happens when you throw quick play and sweep your initial placements. Contrary to my original analysis, it is possible to get to low Master. I’ll update the original post, by this weekend at the latest.

The whole point of this experiment was to test what actually happens, not have a theory for what should happen. And what actually happens is that quick play does not influence competitive MMR/SR and all players start around 2350.

My assertion is that everyone starts competitive around 2350. That your quick play MMR happens to be gold is a coincidence that is giving you the wrong impression.

You might well be right. I don’t pretend to know how all this works, but logically speaking I doubt Blizzard would intentionally put a new inexperienced player who in reality belongs in bronze with a bunch of gold players and drag down the whole team. Whichever team gets that new player would simply be unlucky (doomed is the more appropriate word). It just doesn’t make sense to me that Blizz would create a system like that. But like I said, the whole system is not transparent so you could well be right. This is an interesting point though.

I have also never placed around 2350 on any account. Even when I was playing Melee only monkey in my placements ( I think s8-ish ) I ended up somewhere in mid plat - I do think my K/d was really high because I rarely died.

I might get a new account soon so I will try to collect some data on that for you.

It is the first game that is at 2350. By game ten (end of placements) the range is approximately high bronze to low Masters.

And I had a GM in season 6 do my placements for me + 2 or 3 additional games.

He placed lower in rank than I did on my career high. (He won 9 out of 10 games in placements, and had 4 golds every game.)

So yes, your QP Hidden MMR & Stats DO IN FACT effect your rank performance in Comp.

Now people know what I mean when I said, let me know when you get 8000 games under your belt in QP then tell me Elo Hell doesn’t exist. (Enter: The way of the Smurf)

My GM friend refused to try to boost my account after that, because he said the mind and skill set at my rank is so braindead, that he simply can’t communicate with them even if he could carry them.

“Everyone’s a professional gamer, until they realize they actually are not.”

This is especially common for any rank under diamond, although ask any GM rather or not they like to play with diamonds.

That being said, there are ways you can influence your match making in QP.

Which is something you cannot do in Comp.

In Comp, I’ll NEVER get to play with Masters and GM’s so I can try to learn faster than what other baddie golds can possibly teach me at my rank.

But in QP, you can manipulate your hidden MMR, to match you with higher ranked people.

Which is why I enjoy every game I get with diamonds, and masters, and even the white unicorn 4000-4400.

Psst, hey buddy. This thread is about completely new accounts starting your initial first comp match at a base of 2350. Something which at least 2 people here have backed up with actual data, while you not only missed the entire point but also are trying to argue with “feelings”.

Psst, hey buddy, it’s irrelevant what it’s about, when I disagree with the OP.

New account, old account, or smurf account it’s all applicable and for the exact same reasons.

You want actual data?

Then look at my profile: There’s over 8000 games worth of data, instead of a ballpark guess which is what the OP has done.

Feel free to do the number crunching, but trust me, it doesn’t take a mathematician to figure out how MMR, and MatchMaker works.

Do you also believe that SR gets hard reset every season?

That’s the only explanation one can get why you’re so adamant with your theory.

You’ve played comp games before, we all know the SR doesn’t get reset between seasons. So your next placement is fairly similar to what you had before. Which is exactly what you’re saying.

What Kuwaamba is saying is that a fresh new account is almost certainly 100% going to start at ~2350 for their VERY FIRST COMP GAME regardless of what else that account has done. Which by 2 data sets, has been fairly accurate with teammates near those SR.

I go into QP/Arcade games and I generally get teammates from Diamond -> GM. Does that make me a Masters player? Oh hell no, I’m floating around gold and Plat.

I guess the bottom line is your data is useless and irrelevant to this thread. It could be used in another thread but not this one because you’re missing the point.

As long as the formula is hidden, I will not care about it at all. It’s ridiculous to slap the name ‘Competition’ on anything with a hidden scoreboard.

Besides, low ranks are more fun, it seems.