In the end, I was right about RQ

I would personally say no, definitely not.

I appreciate that you outlined the situations where 222 was an improvement over the original ‘pick anything’, but personally I’ve seen such a deterioration in the overall quality of my matches and the matchmaker that I can’t help but come to the conclusion that 222 drove off a significant amount of the player base and we no longer have enough people at every level to have regularly balanced matches.

Before 222 I was used to things being a bit wonky, you’d get lucky or unlucky, but you’d also have decent matches where everyone on both teams felt about equal in terms of skill.

With 222 in place I never feel that, there’s always one section of the team that is significantly above or below me; I get tanks that are ridiculously high and place themselves at weird spots, expecting me to be able to support them when they’re not playing or doing any of the things that I’ve come to expect from a tank. Then the next game I get derpy tanks that have zero clue what they’re doing and feed all game. It doesn’t really seem to matter which category I play, sometimes I’m the derpy one and sometimes I’m the high level one, it’s all relative ~ but the point I’m trying to make is that it always feels like there’s a weird disparity between the groups. The matchmaker needs to be addressed, the window of people who are acceptable to put on my team is waaaay too large.

And it wouldn’t have to be if we had enough players, but Blizzard keeps doing things that drive people away.

1 Like

I’d rather have longer que-times than have matches where people are forced onto roles they don’t play because we have 5 support mains. The community has always been divided, from day one it’s been “X-role bad,” you can’t really stop that…

A lot of people said the same.
I said ow was just trading problems but with more supports and tanks they promised to add and focus it would end up a better game.
Well we got 1 tank and another dps in the already inflated dps role… Patches to force people to play tank cause all content must go to ow2.
I think role queue should stay but we need more tank and heal characters like we have for last 6 years

According to the devs they started with the development of 2/2/2 Role Q before GOATs even existed.

The main reason has always been that they wanted to provide a better structure to increase the match quality and allow the players to play the role they like without feeling pressured to pick something else.

If I remember correctly Jeff said that he personally liked the idea of being able to implement separate SR/MMR for every role (and I personally like that point as well).

My DPS SR is always about 500-1000 SR lower than the other two and pre Role Q that skill gap was a real bummer because it basically locked me in Tank/Support jail even if the rare occasion happened, that there weren’t 4 people on my team who fought about who gets to pick DPS.

Now I can cash in a priority pass and play DPS without effectively softthrowing the game :smiling_face_with_three_hearts:

It all comes down to how are they going to make tank enjoyable again. I think that would fix 60% or more (arbitrary number, don’t @ me) of the problems with role queue.

Currently, I play Tank for a few games just to help keep the matches going, and to get a few games in with my faves in the role. But it’s honestly awful and such a coinflip. Either I’ll be matched against tanks way lower than me and the victory will feel cheap, or I’ll be placed against higher than me, and while I do learn from them, it’s still unfun when I don’t feel like I have the agency to carry on the role or lack support. My friends even told me I would make a great tank main, and while there may be some truth to that, it’s just not fun to play for an extensive period of time at the moment.

tldr; fix Tanking as a role and bring people back to it. It’ll fix the matchmaking and reduce dps queue times.

RQ ruined the game, devs lack simple understanding of what happens when u change stuff like roles.
1/3/2 would fit much better, tho real OW is OQ. Think i heard than the korean guys only play OQ as the real comp mode, since its superior in every way. Much more strategies involved. No longer insta lose cause you have 2 incapable dps etc.
Thats what made OW good at the beginning. RQ is a testament of blizz downfall cause they lack game dev knowledge etc.
Maybe dont hire random ppl on the internet who make rage threads on other mmos.
I mean I like Jeff, but being employed cause you make everquest rage threads, basically working on WoW only as a dev for years which has 0 to do with a game like OW and then becoming the lead designer of OW is meant to fail.
Didnt he also say he wants OW to be a shooter only? No comment.

Edit: I say this only if jeff is responsible for the 2/2/2 fiasko and bad slow balancing changes in the last years. The original game was/is still good from a concept etc. So im not sure how much he is involved.
But if you dont fix the queue times, you either revert 2/2/2, make the unplayed roles better or you failed at your job. Its not rocket science, however, time is crucial and i fear its far to late for those changes. Most people have already turned their back on this game due to lack of quick changes and fixes.

2 Likes

The problem with 1/3/2 is that for the most part, main tanks need the support of another tank. It could potentially kill the viability of certain heroes. It could be worth a shot, but if it ends up just being a ton of people playing Hog and Ball only, then it kind of defeats the purpose.

You can make tanks stronger if only 1 per team is available, especially since combos like Zarya+Rhein are not possible anymore. Or double shield meta, etc.

Besides the 1% top, OQ was better anyways. 0/6/0 didnt mean a sure lose even if the enemy is 2/2/2. How you manage the damage of 6 dps? Its largely different. However the moment you have stale 2/2/2 vs 2/2/2 you just need 1 bottleneck and your team is done. Especially since you cant make it up for your bottleneck since you are locked to your role. Cant count the times i wouldve written, player X please go mercy or smth and i go dps. Or just stay whatever you are and i do the dps job.
No matter how good your heals are, if dps hit nothing its gg. Besides its so much more fun having that variety of matchups and not the same old setup. I still play OW, but before RQ it was easily 10x more fun and also much better queue times obviously.

1 Like

Now imagine a 3 flanker comp on the enemy team and your supports have close to 0 peel because Off-Tanks got the axe.

There is a reason why the 1/3/2 Experimental Card got even more hate from Support players than from the Tanks :wink:

Also how am I going to play with my Tank Duo Q buddies in 1/3/2?

1 Like

this was a dead giveaway and alot of the games actuall community did not care as long as they got some form of balance.

People who state this as if it was exclusive to RQ are either delusional or are those type of people who actually dont care about the situation and want to use any means neccesary to prove their point across.

The community was always at a divide.
there was no such thing as people thinking the same or all of us having same opinion. Nature of life. everybody is bound to have different opinions and those opinions in OW community are driven by hero choice and role choices. tank players are bound to have similar opinion etc.

I always wonder how RQ is and how ow wowuld have been with OQ still then I play OQ and see the joke it was.
No thanks. I am happy about RQ and I gladly accept its faults.
your first argument will never be fixed thats wishful thinking and prioty pass was imo a terrible bandaid fix if you ask me
your second argument is not an issue or matter that can be fixed since the game has always been like this. Maybe you joined late like last 4 month of OQ but The community has always been divided.
your third argument is about balance which we would have been stuck in arguably a worse situation if it stayed the same. and with the balance team we have? Yeah no this game wont ever be balanced snort
they take 3 good steps forward and take 500 steps terrible backward because they are trying to please everyone.

DPS vs DPS. I can still kill any flanker with a few good shots. I cant really as a support. Besides, the same can be said about mercy, phara. Or just phara alone. Enemy team has them and your 2 dps cant hit her or sometimes even switch to a hitscan. Now game is over already AND youre not having fun since youre stuck in your role.

Also how am I going to play with my Tank Duo Q buddies in 1/3/2?

How am i going to play with my dps or support triple in 2/2/2? The answer is OQ, which should be the standard.
And it needs to be the only mode in comp, since splitting the PB doesnt work, especially now since the game is starving of players in comparison to a few years ago.

You’re not actually going to be killed.

People aren’t “getting killed” over roles.

There are fights and “wars” over it, but not literal deaths.

Fighting between players has ALWAYS been a thing, before, you would get identified as a main of a hero and then have your whole opinion/thoughts invalidated. This thing has ALWAYS existed, now you can hide behind a general role at least

That just seems to me like powercreeping to fix the problem. Tanks would have to be extremely durable and have great utility to peel for others. It might not be the perfect solution you think it is. I honestly don’t think there is a perfect solution. I’m fine with 2/2/2 and there is always the option to play role queue, even though my friends and I consider it a meme. I think this is the best we can hope for, and they should just work towards making it better.

I see less actually.

Did I say people are getting killed? I said people are threating each other over it.

That is good then, can we make it even less?

I dont think we will ever reach a state where we have enough tank players, therefore 2/2/2 will never work. You just have to increase the shields and retinker some stuff. Its not like current overwatch is balanced at all.

You said they want to kill eachother - that’s a bit different from just a “threat”

The same threats that are thrown around in different context and forms

Perhaps, but that would not have to do with RQ itself.

That is also very different from “getting killed”.

And we are just ok with that?

I like to think maybe a small part does contribute to it.

flankers and characters like Ashe or Pharah don’t really care about shields all that much. They have ways to bypass them. You would need to increase their health and resistances since they would be the only person taking the brunt of the damage. And they would need more utility to protect supports from 3 dps trying to kill them. Granted supports have their own survival tools, but I would much rather be able to protect my Ana than have her use her nade on herself.