In defense of notorious "Mercy mains"

it’s all you can do instead of trying other characters or to get better.

Since the Mercy rework, I have played 200+ hours of Widowmaker in arcade and won many DM games
( h ttps://imgur.com/a/dezIYna ).
It still hasn’t stopped me from “spamming” the forums on wanting to have my favorite hero fun and viable again.

2 Likes

I’m sure this thread isgoing to devolve and a part of me thinks I"ll be a part of that devolution…but I gotta say this, thank you for at least understanding the rage. Of course it seems calm and rage neither get answers if the Bastion, Sym andTorb situations are anything to go by. Honestly I cna’t tell you who Blizzard is listening to for these bad decisions, Mercy 2.0 was scrim’d with by the pro’s on the PTR and they all collectively shouted OPAF. Combine that with the very vocal community of people who thought it was UP or were lamenting the loss of a counter ult (which even in it’s most OP state Valk never actually countered ults in the way I refer like Mass rez, trance or Sound Barrier.
Then there were the people who actually played it and agreed with the pro;s

The amount of “no” they were getting for this thing was pretty staggering so I have to ask who the hell they listened to for thiss change, if itw as developers instincts then as we all know now those instincts were dead wrong

1 Like

Really annoying for Support mains in general.

I saw a ton of posts criticizing Ana’s state. She was not said to be fine ever since the Mercy rework.

D.va got compensation to make her more fun when they reworked her, so did Hog. The focus wasn’t just on making them more fun to play against but also on making sure those players still enjoyed their hero. The Symmetra rework attempted to make her more active, the idea being more actively contributing to a teamfight would make the hero better and more fun.

The same consideration was not given to Mercy.

Mercy is unique in that regard.

3 Likes

The only thing unique about Mercy is how many times she was nerfed before an actual impact was seen - between win rate / pick rate (beyond the initial week or two ‘omg’ phase).

Her nerfs have been about equivalent to Ana’s fall from must pick / meta pick to throw pick. It just took a lot longer to get there. There were no compensation buffs for either at the time. Lucio’s changes felt similar too. Maybe it’s a support character thing with how they balance and that it takes longer to see full the impact of support changes. Tanks/DPS seem to have very obvious impact straight away and that why some of their changes seem to happen at a slightly faster pace or are more easily compensated in general.

If she really is that bad, in actual game play statistics and not just dull to play, they absolutely will buff her. There will be changes. It may take longer than her mains would like, but that seems to be fairly par for the course for blizzard in general and not necessarily Mercy in particular.

I honestly don’t think Mercy is that bad, she had a place and time now, but she actually is that boring.

I’m fairly certain that even if by some miracle they’ll buff her - it won’t be a buff players want.

It’ll be a buff some players want, but you’ll never make everyone happy.

Hell, Ana is a good pick now but I’m not happy with her. Not much to do about it, unfortunately.

Mercy:
We buffed her base movement speed to keep up with the “Mobile, flowing healer” idea, and to give her a little more survivability.
Side note: Suck it, losers. :sunglasses: J-Kappy out.

1 Like

some can get a point across sometimes then others will just throw this nonsense into a discussion onlime accuse the term “wp” actually being an insult meaning “white power”.
… im not even white and that really was… a very odd way of thinking for me

I am not talking about balance, I’m talking about the way the devs have handled the various nerfs and buffs. It has been handled stunningly poorly, and that is the reason for the complaints.

1 Like

So what you’re saying is…
I should spam the forums in outrage, for blizzard has ignored me for over a year.
That’s right. D.Va has had a melee-booster bug for over a year, able to be replicated 100% of the time. The black screen glitch has also made a small return, and her momentum when launching mech is all out of whack now.

2 Likes

Whether or not you agree with the handling of buffs and nerfs you can’t possibly justify some of the responses to them. Calls to fire staff, calls for boycott, calls for people to just leave/delete the game, and even some of the video responses are pretty out there. That kind of attitude, regardless of the character in question, is silly, obnoxious and results in a lot of the spam we’re seeing from people for and against the topic - not forgetting the faux persecution, about being silenced for said ‘odd’ posts, again, both sides.

I understand the complaints people have about their character - I don’t understand some of the more devout (pardon the word choice but I have no other that quite reaches the point I want ) of the group going completely off the rails.

1 Like

Since when is dying because you’re stationary impactful?

At this point, I see every ‘Mercy’ topic as drama, feeding into more drama talking about more Mercy related drama.

A whole lot of drama queens, regardless of how ‘put together’ the thread is.

3 Likes

There are always those exteme people anytime something they don’t like happens ever. There was an instagram model in the news not that long ago that received death threats because she posed with a folded tortilla instead of a pancake in a silly staged ad about waking up with breakfast in bed for Listerine.

The reason that the devs have received a much higher volume of posts, leading to also a higher volume of such over the line posts is because of the way they handled this entire thing since the beginning. It’s a basically a long tale of how not to handle customer service.

And she is unique in how badly they handled things, which is why the Mercy posts are unique in their volume.

This stuff goes hand in hand.

It doesn’t make it right. It doesn’t make it okay. But Blizzard’s actions during this whole thing, their stunningly poor PR here is the reason it is happening like that.

2 Likes

Thousands??? Definitely not thousands… MAYBE a (few) hundred but definitely not thousands. If it was thousands reddit would be flipping their lid too.

If you do not like the subject, do not read or write. Ignore them and see other threads.

Lets not forget, just because they dont post on this forums, doesnt mean they dont exist. I have friends who’ve played Mercy and either dropped her or hate her state right now, and I frequently go to reddit to find others who feel the same.

Not a lot of people spend most of their time on this forum.

Very good post.
Thank you for your understanding, it’s really great to see these threads from time to time.

:blue_heart:

1 Like

You are exaggerating here “a little”. D.Va’s bugs doesn’t make her unplayable, broken, not viable pick which is boring to play and that brings no impact whatsoever. D.Va is a powerful tank that can bring the hurt and has crazy survivability.

Mercy is a squishable slug now.

Don’t compare the two, please.

Dying is never impactful. Funny joke you made here, wish I could like it, but I’m out of likes!
He’s impactful because he can mow down many heroes with ease and without worry, and with a shield in front - any hero. His sheer damage potential like no other is what makes him impactful.

There are no other ways to describe the situation we all are in. It’s a sad drama, a soap opera, dark age of OW. You might think that it’s just “Mercy” drama, but it’s in fact drama for everyone, because just how “Mercy mains” are being ignored right now - in a similar way anyone else will be ignored in the future.

He means the Megathread! That place definitely could have thousands of Mercy players. If every unhappy player posted at least once - there would be tenfold more!

2 Likes