IMO the only solution to balancing is

• gets into game
  • Sees 2 DPS slots taken
  • Leaves game and reques
  • Rinse and repeat until they can pick DPS

Bonus points if lobbies close because they can’t fill up fast enough.

Role Queue.

1 Like

? U choose your role BEFORE joining a game, u simply queue for a role, and u are forced to that in game too, clearly if u only choose for DPS role only (and ever) ur wait is more long than for a support one… (maybe this force ppl to learn and to appreciate other classes too, and so to just learn this game). Because really i don’t see any other solution, and maybe this made OW a better game for everyone at every level.

4 years to find a match because everyone wants dps

5 Likes

Ah so DPS wait 20+ minutes for a game. While tanks wait less than a minute.

It won’t encourage anyone to play different roles, the games been out for 2+ years and there are still people who refuse to touch the tank or healer class, all this will do is make DPS players stop playing. And most tanks players are ditching the game after the next patch.
There’s going to be NOBODY playing this game

Any thoughts on this idea?

🌟 [RoleQ] 2Flex-2-2 is the answer

It’s a little more complicated than just a 2-2-2 though.

This game is simply impossible to balance without this trend of flatten all classes or do more damage output for most of them. Is a lost cause, and more heroes u add and more complex the game balance become. And they already seem to lost tracks of most of this complexity. After GOATS what we have? Aside transform this game in a DeathMatch game?

LFG in a nutshell… yep…

The game is suffering hard from power creep. Healers heal too much so tanks need more damage. DPS do too much damage so go tank to replace DPS because they can survive sniper shots.

Tank damage needed to be lower across the board
Healers need to heal less across the board
Some one shotting dps need rebalancing
Non one shotting dps nee their damage slightly lowered.

Dps made DPS unviable because of just how fast they can erase each other, bringing in the necessity of tanks, who are like fat dps.

1 Like

The solution to balance is to remove every hero. Then nothing will be underpowered, or a must pick.

Blizz hire me.

2 Likes

Doesn’t this happen now anyway? I mean the only reason people don’t leave comp games is you get punished harsher for it. This is also why comp is way more toxic. In 2-2-2 games DPS win or lose the match. Everyone wants to play DPS so if your losing the toxicity starts flowing from everyone on the team.

I agree on an horizontal axe on damage (for me, all the “modern” FPS needs to calm down on damage output, i found this a damn console heritage) and for the snipers too (i don’t like any one-shoot possibilities, aside maybe for an honest headshot - versus normal size head - on 200 hp target) but Blizzard seem to taken the opposite way, i don’t like it, but in any case u ask, substantially, “simply” a damage reduction for everyone… i think if the solution is so “simply” why they cannot try?

No, what i think is that what i write: an asymmetric game, for his nature, is simply impossible to balance (a ress is not a sound barrier, they are not opposite each others, they are simply totally another skills). Heroes are not really a simply fact off countering skills, they are more than often irreconcilable. So what u can do, is to put this game to a “chess” like level, a class level, but u need to force roles and then u can think about that, in a more clearly manner.

Role que would just be toxic comp but all the time.
Casuals would drop the game. DPS players would drop the game. Tanks are currently dropping the game.

The only ones playing the game are the pros at this point (and they get paid to suffer through it) and the people who haven’t figured out that the balance team is completely missing the pulse on how to fix the game and what’s causing the issues.

Simply saying “game to hard to balance” and forcing the playerbase to play a certain amount of classes per team is not going to fix anything.

They need to tune the power creep down.

Or release a vanilla overwatch like they did with wow. That would get me to play again at least.

The damage creep has put the game is a terrible spot. You can’t tone it down then DPS will truly be unable to be used thanks to 3-3 goats comps. Meanwhile in 2-2-2 tanks feel awful due to how strong damage is and how powerful CC and silence are against them. On the support side only half are viable in 2-2-2 comps.

I don’t like forced 2-2-2 but there’s no balance way out of this mess. Doing it via balance means we head straight into a DPS dominant meta. You need tanks and supports to drive the meta and compositions or DPS takes over and the game loses it’s complex strategy, teamwork and counter play element.

Role limits per team might be the only thing that can save OW from the Devs incompetence…

1 Like

Fixes:
Tanks damage nerfed.
Dps damage nerfed less so and maybe on a per character basis.
Healers healing nerfed.
Giving tanks a heaviness to make them less movable by boops and less time stunned by cc moves would solve their problem with cc.

What caused the current problems:
Sniper meta was caused because healing too high and one shotting was made invaluable.
DPS make dps unviable with how fast they erase each other.
Tank meta caused by needing to survive sniper one shots and needing to protect healers from snipers.
Tanks have enough DPS to replace DPS characters and have utility.
Run tanks and healers against tanks and healers.
Now here we are.

Let me go over these one at a time because I have some issues with what your saying.

Not a fan of this. Tanks are already very limited in how they deal damage.

sounds fair.

Not ideal but okay.

I think this is a must. We just need something to reduced the effectiveness of CC and silence on tank heroes. Without that it will be hard to get anyone to tank and I say that as a tank main that doesn’t play anymore.

I’m not sure about this. I think the sniper buffs played a role. It allowed them to play around their counters more and with Brigitte coming to the game a lot of people opted to stop running dive.

This is very true. People complain about the meta a lot but the meta DPS have always locked out more heroes than anything else.

Not 100% in my opinion. I think the strong synergy from tanks and supports played a larger role. That and DPS in general having so much damage. A one second stun shouldn’t be a death sentence for a tank but it is. The only thing that could stop that is stacking tanks and supports.

Again I think this is more or less that tank and support synergy locking out DPS more than tanks being just as good or better DPS. This meta came about as a way to stay alive through damage not because tanks are just better.

Mirror comps always follow when a simple comp dominates. You can beat it with 2-2-2 (on ladder) but that requires teamwork and that just doesn’t happen. Mostly because DPS prefer to play more independent from the team.

The big support buff that gave everyone more healing to match mercy who was doing too much at the time is doing more harm than good now that mercy has been brought into place (a little up for her role).

I can get more damage than the dps on my team with most tanks on a consistent basis. That should be cause for concern. They made tanks more dps able to make them more fun and enticing to play.
I play tank because I enjoy holding down a spot and protecting teammates. But I can also just attack and play tank as an additional dps character, that’s not their role.

None of these changes would go through though. Because it would make the game significantly slower and more moba like, closer to the pace of the game at release. And that’s bad for owl viewer ship which is actiblizz’s business.

I don’t know. There were some real quality buffs in there besides minor number changes. Ana’s healing ult change and Lucio’s radius buff are just two that come to mind. I don’t think Moira or Zen got anything either.

In most games as DPS I can kill pretty much any target through healing. To me that’s a sign the current state of each healer is fine. The problem seems to be the role stacking.

I play a lot of tank and I can tell you exactly why this happens. Tanks are in the fight constantly so they rack up damage. DPS on the other hand? I’ve seen games where my DPS is hiding or flanking for no apparent reason. The issue with tanks damage numbers is they are easily inflated.

When? Most tanks have only lost damage. Hog only recently got buffed to be marginally good. D.VA did get missiles but most intelligent players know this was a bad call. She needed her DM up time. With her DM nerf she’s nothing but a fat DPS that feeds worse than Hog now.

I guess. The thing is damage makes space. Playing Rein recently was maddening because I could only hold up my shield and hope my DPS pressured the enemy away. If Blizzard is set on making all tanks like that… then I’m done with tanking.

So OWL is what’s driving this horrible balance. I always thought it was the bad community feedback and whiners. Seeing OWL as the real motivation really makes me mad.

But 3/3, 3/2/1, and 4/1/1 are all viable strategies.