I'm sorry for those who dislike Mercy right now

But playing Mercy is one of the most satisfactory things this game has, I’m not talking about sitting down and pressing a button behind a wall, I’m talking about being aggressive both with pistol and positioning, superjumping and contributing to kills both with dmg boost and pistol and of course, getting praised for never letting the ball drop and getting golden healing

Doing insane almost impossible rezzes thanks to your awareness and even using superjump to rez someone in front of a whole team who didnt expect the jump only to then valk away

but above everything else I just said, the moment when you feel like an imposing obelisk of dominance with wings is when you valk and go for the widow, admittedly it can backfire but Mercy can make widow’s life a living hell if she knows how to strafe in all directions including up and down, when someone screams on coms: SOMEONE TAKE CARE OF THAT WIDOW!!

HEROES NEVER DIE!

and a few seconds later the announcement at the top right of the screen, it’s just a freaking adrenaline rush dude

41 Likes

Oh no

a Mercy thread

First post before chaos inevitably ensues

19 Likes

If you are having fun, who cares what other people think?

12 Likes

Oh I agree I just had a really good game with Mercy a few minutes ago and felt like posting a bit of positivity around the never ending issue on the forum that is Mercy

Naturally I’m not trying to change anyone’s mind but I think it’s important for new forum goers to see both sides of the coin

7 Likes

Yeah, my sister is on the fence. She believes Mercy was way more fun post rework and still loves her, but she wants 60 hps back. So I get to see both sides IRL myself. That is why I always believed there was a way to compromise and give Mercy players just a bit more given how many seem to not enjoy playing her anymore.

It is a tough scenario, I guess, because let’s be real, a lot of Mercy players wanted her buffed for fun, not necessarily to dominate on ladder. So I kind of sympathize with them. On the other hand, I have a lot of respect for a good Mercy. It is really underrated how hard she is and how much work they have to put in.

13 Likes

So I didn’t made this thread to advertise my small creation on worshop but I created it with a similar point of view in mind, if you’d want to check it out you can find it here:

https://us.forums.blizzard.com/en/overwatch/t/mercy-4-0-by-hige

Basically I do agree that Mercy could use some buffs but also accompany it with a few small nerfs (mainly no branches on ult and giving her one more button to keep in mind) while also changing valk’s initial cast…

What I’m trying to say is that I do enjoy the hero a ton but I’m not blind to her lack of… uhm direct impact? I mean, sometimes, no matter how aggresive you like to play, you have to sit behind a wall and pray for your team xD

2 Likes

I couldn’t agree more

1 Like

You could’ve worded that title a little differently if you really didn’t want to stir anything up. Some are quite sensitive and it can be taken in a wrong context. And the timing is bad as well since there’s a few threads going on right now 🤷

But regarding the game, I’m glad you found a way to make her fun! I do have some similar moments like these in mine, mainly the part with Widow. I’ve used Valk solely to kill a Widow and a Pharah no one was able to deal with before and…that happens quite a lot honestly. That feeling of being the one to take out the enemy your team was struggling with is just out of this world.

4 Likes

My cousin arrived for a visit, have not seen him in 5 years, he says the Mercy rework is what made him quit. A huge bummer. I can understand. I have read hundreds of these threads. But man, it feels weird knowing someone IRL that quit because if the changes.

Mercy has her moments today, but none of them compare to the rush of a clutch mass res as shown in this video:

https://streamable.com/uwgzt

That was the best feeling in gaming, bar none. Before her rework (and even after, before multi-Resurrect was nerfed into the ground), Mercy was a beacon of hope for the team. No matter what happened, even when all seemed lost, if Mercy was still alive there was still a chance. Mass res was the source of many high-risk, adrenaline-pumping plays both in 6v1 races to 100% ult charge and in other scenarios like duels against flankers or–perhaps the most fun of all–duels just off-point against the enemy Mercy. A 1v1 based on nothing but pure FPS skill that could decide the objective and, sometimes, even the whole match.

Mercy today is okay. Ish. Most of her gameplay is neutral. Some of it is fun. Some of it just leaves you feeling helpless. None of it, though, even comes remotely close to what she was before. It’s great that you’re having fun and I still can too, but old Mercy was even more fun.

17 Likes

While I’m glad that there are people that like it, I just found that I felt like I was just strafing around in the T pose and my eyes just focused somewhere into the middle distance as the boredom sets in. Also just disappointed that all the thread worth’s of feedback was dumped into the trash.

To sum up my feelings these days:
“Oh well” =\

2 Likes

That might be the worst part of the whole thing. There was absolutely overwhelming negative feedback over the Mercy rework that persisted for so long in such volume that the forum moderators had to condense it all into the megathreads just so the forum topic list would show something other than Mercy threads.

Blizzard devs saw that feedback. They knew there was an enormous backlash, and multiple devs acknowledged it to varying degrees since then. And yet, they still did it anyway.

It’s perhaps the most out-of-touch move Blizzard has made outside of “Do you guys not have phones?”

14 Likes

i like old mercy the best because if you were good at mercy you wouldn’t wait for everyone to die then rez you would rez if there was 2 people dead because that could give you the win without the enemy getting more ult charge it was just a better system in my option

12 Likes

It feels par for the course compared to a lot of their recent decisions. It is a new Blizz.

Nothing compares to having Soldier 76 as your only healer. When a Rein and 4 other DPS are standing in your biotic field on CTF.

1 Like

Thats great you have an opinion

Too bad all those things you mentioned only work in QP and up until gold in ranked, OP.

5 Likes

DPS Mercy is the only way to have fun with Mercy these days… thats what people who want the revert/rework have been saying. If anything, you are just restating what they have been saying.

Using Valkyrie to DPS instead of being a support ult shows how flawed Valk is as an ult.

6 Likes

No, it does not; if anything it shows that Mercy has options. But hey, spin things however you want if it makes you feel better.

1 Like

Eh, she’s been the same for 3 years for her non-ultimate stuff. Her regular gameplay has only increased with 2 GA glitches and getting resurrect as a regular ability.

Despite the fact people will be in non-ultimate form for most of the game they only care about having a ‘I carried the game moment’.

8 Likes