I'm not even a Symm main but y'all have lost your minds

Imagine what this nerf will do on consoles where accuracy is lower and perfect beam tracking is harder…

“But she has her turrets, they are stronger on console!”. Too bad they still have the nerf given to them and Torb’s turret many years ago…

2 Likes

Same. I’m not a Sym main, in fact i play heroes that get countered by Sym, but i feel bad for her now.

1 Like

idk i main(ed sym before the tp changed) and i don’t really mind it. i never played sym to be a primary fire bot like so many other characters… but even with the nerf, she’ll still be one… because the tp is still bad for anything offensive.

Completely in favour of symm dmg nerfs. I have a 23+ k/d on her this beta mostly just by laser snowballing. She was never meant to be a laser/m1 bot. 10/10 would rather play for utility, control, and tempo than raw damage numbers. Hopefully we can get a slight tp cd revert along with this dmg nerf. Miss the days when she would enable others to get picks not herself.

??? This makes no sense at all. All heroes should feel good to play in the first place. That doesn’t make them OP.

I think the issue is the game is so designed around shields it’s kinda just a corner they caught themselves into.

This is pretty much it. The only time I’m ever asked to play Symm is on Paris for TP and it’s so boring to play, especially if the team struggles to go through a simple tp sometimes. It’s happened… sadly…

Honestly she’ll probably end up being a throw pick on console. I can’t begin to imagine what it would be like to try to track with that beam.

But… she’s a DPS not a support. Anybody in that DPS roster are MEANT to get picks by themselves.

1 Like

I would argue she gets less picks by herself now. You can’t as easily teleport in to pick off a flanker, tp bomb a backline, or setting up some temporary high ground for orb/m2 poke dmg. You can’t tp out to reset on health packs, live off the land, and win 1v1s.

Sym 3.5 used with/against real teams is a team effort to blanket (pocket heals + tank/aggro for her) the tunnelvision laser phase of a fight. Those laser multikills happened before, they just happen more/better now because of the laser change and the clumped shield brawl meta.

So to me she actually gets fewer picks ‘by herself’ - less self-agency which seems kinda lame for a dps slot. But hey if small brains and big aims win more fights I guess its gud?

You shouldn’t be actively trying to pick a fight in the first place. Regardless her beam shreds Genji and Tracer if you can do it right. Even Doom isn’t hard to kill if you mind game. It requires good tracking but it’s possible. It’s entirely possible and it should be. She needs to be a threat not just a tp bot.

You should be tping with your team, and gain a lot of poke damage overall. I’m not saying she doesn’t enable others at all, but it’s entirely possible and should be for her to get some kills herself.

This is entirely possible if you mind game correctly. Either way, again you shouldn’t be alone. That’s poor positioning on your part in the fight place. Symm isn’t meant to be a big flanker.

It’s entirely possible for her to win some 1 v 1s without the nerfs and it should be possible in the first place. If you have decent tracking it really shouldn’t be hard. I’d say she stands a fair chance against a lot of characters in 1 v 1s. Again, either way if you’re out there alone that’s poor positioning.

I… honestly have no idea what you’re trying to say here.

She obviously isn’t a super heavy kill DPS, but she is still able to get kills by herself. It’s entirely possible.

Self contradictions galore lol.
What argument are you even trying to make?

I don’t think you understand how she actually made plays, got damage out, controlled map areas, and made kill completions. You did most of the self-agency with quick teleports. They by far trumped everything else in the kit.

The laser is/was a lesser tier resort in most encounters and interactions. Most fastest-ttk (time-to-kill) action paths involved a combo of orb sizes, turret dmg, and some low charge laser / melee finishers to win an encounter. Her kit was more rounded, you had to use every aspect of it.

The data coming in from sym 3.5 is that its too easy to be successful melting good players with M1 through simple linear gameplay.

So no, you still get less solo and small-scale picks overwall with new symm, in exchange for many more team-supported picks. Its a kind of dps shift that takes away finesse and rewards clumping up for the scripted world of shields brawl.

1 Like

If the Sym nerfs go live I may uninstall the game. It’s been months since I played, and role queue almost brought this tank main back. This just might be the thing I need to make the breakup official.

1 Like

Play no man sky its a good game!

Ive been playing this game and its awesome!
Keep my attention away from being frustrated of the changes/balancing of OW.

These newest changes only upset new/poor Sym players.

Please stop begging them to ruin a hero just because you never understood how to play them effectively. Her primary fire is still better than it was, and is still the very worst part of her kit.

If you want to play a hero just to hold left click, then pick basically any other hero. Sym 3.0 used to be cool and they ruined her to appease people that don’t know what she did so well in the first place.

1 Like

She even said the new beam is good against tracer. How is a beam that does 60 damage at level 1 with a .15 width good against tracer who is zipping around?

Just right click Tracers, if turrets don’t melt her first lol! Why is it so difficult for things to understand how Sym’s kit worked?

Of course it doesn’t make sense to you. Don’t have to explain why it does not.

However, point still stands. To people something becomes OP, they tend to do well and “feels good” because they think they are all sudden good players and melting faces. Having to work to get good in comparison, does not. So when something gets nerfed, they don’t do so well, not realizing, the OP hero was “carrying” them.

It’s so strange… kinda like that Torb nerf. It’s like they’re scared of these incredibly low pick rate heroes ever reaching viability and immediately slam them down whereas other heroes remain absolute top tier for months.

Maybe they want to avoid these heroes appearing as anything more than a novelty in OWL or some such ? =\

1 Like

I rememeber them saying before that they want to keep Bastion’s niche, so maybe that’s the same for Torb and Sym as well?

Sym still feels pretty good on PTR.

The bug fix, which was not a bug but a band-aid fix to another bug when when Sym was given her 3.0 rework, greatly increased her damage. What the “bug” did was caused her first tick upon acquiring a target to do about half normal damage. So against a fast target like tracer, you could be doing less than 100 dps with a full charge beam even if you were maintaining good accuracy as losing your tracking for even 1 tick would apply the reduction to your next damaging tick. Basically having 75% accuracy could actually result in closer to a 50% damage loss.

The max 15 dps loss makes less than a quarter second of difference when fighting a 600 health target like roadhog, but Sym (and Zarya) will still be doing significantly more damage against smaller targets that you can’t maintain 100% accuracy against due to that “bug” fix, even if it is a bit harder to maintain that accuracy with the beam width nerf.

They were probably like “We want these heroes to do about X damage. This fix will probably increase it by a bit… Oh snap they’re doing like 33% more damage per game, let’s dial that back a bit, we should also make their beams a bit less forgiving now that they’re no longer unfairly punished for missing now as well.”