I'll make a thread later on VGS

this is in paladins and in tf2 and i hate them both. the comm wheel is perfect for me

Now that i’m back here and though about it, Heroes of the Storm has a good ping system.

Ok, granted it’s a MOBA, it works differently but it’s concept is good.

It’s a ping system basically.
You have various pings:

Assist Me Ping
Defend Ping
Retreat Ping
On My Way Ping
Danger Ping

And also a free Ping that when you click on an objective or enemy, it would say something like: Kill this hero, Or (you hero’s name) wants to capture this objective.

good be a nice thing to add, a simply Ping system that actively changes what you say based on where your crosshair is aiming at.

And above HoTS pings in your communication wheel.

Could even have it actively change based on what teammates or enemies you have.

Starsiege: Tribes!

Also things like that aren’t possible anymore since games have to be designed for the console peasantry.

You say that, like it’s supposed to be a problem.

VGS Cheat Sheet - Official SMITE Wiki

A ping system isn’t going to work with out a mini map and any location marker in real time is like a swap meet version of wall hacks, so that’s a terrible idea.

They could do like Rocket League where you only have a fixed amount of voice binds, but you have a lot of options as to what you can put there. So one player might have Go Left, Go Right, Go Main and ULT status.
An Ana main might just have group up, fall back, reset, reloading
Genji mains would be “I need healing” in all slots

I don’t know, a mic is now under $20 and people don’t use it. Group up is the best call in game for most SR ranges and people don’t use it or do it. I’m not sure a more complicated system results in better game play.

They already have a system in game which would be sufficient.

If you play Zenyatta and you discord a enemy, then you look behind you.
You can see the indicator for the discord move along the bottom of your screen, relative to where it is behind you.

and that’s the game breaking issue with a ping system. It would dumb the game down if you gave everyone a movement/direction based “ping” to hand out to other players to help them track locations.

even if the location marker was just for the person who did the ping it would still be a massive advantage as it would betray angles, movement and future paths. The more it might linger the bigger the wallhack like breaking the effect.

Picture pinging a McCree or Widowmaker trying to peek a corner and going ADADADAD in and out of cover rapidly. Now they have a marker that shows when they will come back into view.
Even a 1/2 second of info once breaking line of sight would still be enough to tell if a player went straight, left or right past some given door.

It just has no place in this game. Voice coms are still open for interpretations and error, unlike a ping system.

Well they could do it with static markers.
Wherever the player is aiming.