If you think you're in elo hell. Go study your stats on overbuff

Overbuff can’t take into account those with private profiles, so it may give you an inflated view of how well you are performing.

For example it may say you are top 10th percentile for healing per 10 mins as Moira, but if everyone was on an unhidden profile you’d go waaaay down.

Useful for looking at your raw stats alone, but don’t trust the comparisons to other players.

wow that changes everything wtf… Do you think/ or know, if they kept the stats on their site from before the privacy option? That may buffer how bad this sounds.

When profiles went private Overbuff lost most of their statistical data. The most data was lost at the bottom of the list, as in bad players, all 100%, have private profiles. Overbuff is a terrible place to get data from anymore, unless all you want to do is look at what numbers you put up in reference to what you have done in the past.

3 Likes

My guess would be that it is pulling them directly from the Blizzard servers as they appear (i.e hidden profile data is hidden) because all my comparative stats went much higher when the private profile setting was introduced.

1 Like

Overbuff isn’t really a good guide for people who think they’re stuck in elo hell because people usually compare their stats to higher rated players and then think, ‘see, I’m not that far off!’ or ‘see, i have the same stats as that GM!’ but they forget that the stats they achieved are a reflection of their gameplay in a specific rank while in higher ranks certain stats are way harder to achieve due to a totally different game dynamic and therefor not comparable to games in lower rank.

2 Likes

Study your stats on overbuff compared to the past stats (or just compare in game). If you don’t go up in rank and any of your average stats seem to be static, or decreasing, focus on improving those areas (unless they were too high, such as low shielding for rein and high damage, you would want them to balance more). Keep in mind though, that if you climb your stats may look like they are static, but you are also facing harder opponents. So if you are going up in sr, it isn’t necessarily bad for the stats to stop increasing.

I had the opposite happen. I used to be in the top 1-2% of all Reinhardt players worldwide. After profiles went private that dropped to top 7-8%. Statistically speaking that is huge.

1 Like

Do you have any suggestions for how players should review their play and stats without overbuff being reliable? Or is there just nothing as of now.

Overwatch has more of an ELO Swamp rather than an ELO Hell. You won’t get stuck despite your improvements but climbing to a place that reflects those improvements can be a frustrating and slow journey… Especially in Solo Q.

2 Likes

Honestly, a good trick I use is the other players. I play rein, so if i meet up with another rein main, i compare our stats, and see where they are better and ask them how they get the stats higher than mine. I usually then try to add their strategies into my own to improve my gameplay. I also watch bad reinhardts and try to see what they did wrong so I don’t make the same mistakes. Using the people around you to better yourself is very underrated in this game. Always be on the lookout for tips or strategies you haven’t seen on characters you play, and see if you can use them. I have learned many things from enemy reins, far more things than I could have found on my own.

1 Like

The privatization of stats had almost no impact on the quality of Overbuff’s data. Probably because it was opt-in anyway.

It affected stuff like rankings but not so much the averages.

Weird, maybe you were being mainly compared to Masters/GMs who typically are un-hidden because they get berated if they’re set to private.

Either way the comparative stuff on Overbuff is super unreliable.

You would get way more out of recording yourself play and reviewing it, especially with someone else, than you would comparing stats on a dead website.

It makes no difference what math you want to use, the people who escaped scrutiny all have something in common. All bad players have private profiles, all of them. I am not saying if you have a private profile you are bad. I am just saying, with the utmost confidence, 100% of all bad players have their profile set to private.

If I wanted to set up a data base that tallied up the wealthiest homeless people, I wouldn’t go to the richest part of town. That is basically Overbuff now. Only the players with the best stats, who are proud of them have public profiles.

It was only opt-in to set it up to your B-net account. It tracked every game played by every account in Overwatch.

It grossly skewed the ranking of Reinhardt in;

Damage Blocked
Damage Done
Eliminations Total
Eliminations Objective
Eliminations per 10 minutes
Objective Time

Pretty much any category that existed became a crap shoot for what was considered good or bad anymore.

Nah stats are a bad indicator unless you have something way out of the park, like average 20 deaths

My stats suck but they don’t give me any info on how to improve

Overbuff is only really good for raw numbers.It doesn’t take into context.

Overwatch was opt-in from jump. It did not track every game, it tracked the profiles of its users. And as it turns out the people likely to use Overbuff were also likely to turn their profile public.

Many bad players have their profiles public.

Omnicmeta!
It takes your per-minute stats!
https://www.omnicmeta.com/stats/player.html?username=Noon-11581&platform=pc

Not quite. It tracked every profile that was searched, and it’s not uncommon for someone to search all their friends for fun or something. Seemed harmless enough when all profiles were still public.

I just wish Overbuff would change eliminations per death to eliminations per life.
It’s incredibly frustrating when you don’t die in a game and get good elims to get a 0.00 E:D ratio.