If you could rework Mercy how would she work?

Assuming a revert won’t happen (which it won’t ever happen), I honestly don’t know what would happen to her so I wanna hear what other people would do.

1 Like

Lots of good ideas out there.

My favorite if they are not reverting is give her valk and rez together. She can rez 1 at a time during valk for its duration. This way she has to be in the battle to pull of a 5 man. Give her a different e (if any). I think it would be pretty fun

4 Likes

I would rework Valk to a fun ultimate that actually feels like an empowered Mercy, rather than a support blimp.

I would reduce the bonus range on her staff to +5m (instead of +35m), but increase her movement speed back to 11m while flying and replace Guardian Angel with Angelic Dash, which would let Mercy zip 25m in the direction she is moving over 0.5 seconds (50m/sec dash speed). This would mean Mercy would still be a part of the fight, but as a super-fast angel instead of a moth on the ceiling.

The main target of her beam would get bonus healing/damage boost (75 HPS/40% boost), while the secondary targets would only get half the effectiveness of the normal beam. This would make target prioritization important while in Valk while still allowing Mercy to benefit the whole team. Her ability to pocket allies would be enhanced by her ult, not trivialized.

Honestly, i want her to have a higher skill ceiling. I want to get kills like i can with Ana or Moira. I’m not sure gow to even begin a change like that for her but if Blizzard is so dead set on making her equal with every healer, than i want combat Mercy to be more viable

1 Like

I would completely replace her E ability and ult with new abilities.

I would also give her a new ability on her “R” (reload) button. It could be cooldown based or a resource meter like Moira’s healing/Dva’s defense matrix that drains and then fills up slowly over time.

Biotic Overcharge

• Holding down reload with her staff out would active “Biotic Overcharge” causing her to do increased healing for a few seconds (3-5) and have the beams split of and chain to the 2 nearest teammates for half the healing of her main beam. The downtime/recharge time would be around 10 seconds.

New E ability: Cleanse

• Long range, instant cast time, auto-lock, Mercy instantly cleanses a friendly teammate, healing them for 50% of their maximum health and removing all negative Debuffs (Hack, freeze, anti-heal, stun, etc.).
  • The target becomes immune to any negative status effect for the next 3 seconds. 10-14 second cooldown. This gives Mercy a new skill which requires cooldown management and good timing, raising her skill ceiling and making her more dynamic. It also helps lessen the impact of CC in the game.

Regen:

• Now starts after 1.5 seconds instead of 1 second. Makes her slightly easier to kill, without making her feel completely fragile.

New Ultimate: Valkyrie

• lasts 8-12 seconds, gives Mercy the same freeflight and beam/GA range she has in current Valkyrie
  • Applies “Biotic Overcharge” for the entire duration (Using Valkyrie effectively gives Mercy stronger single-target healing for 8-12 seconds and two weak chain beams. )
  • Mercy has one rez during Valk, the cast time is .8 seconds (same as Sombra’s old hack, and half the current cast time)

Alternative E ability: Mercy lashes out with her damage boost beam, slashing at any enemy and dealing lightning damage (goes through shields like Winston’s cannon). 80 DPS, 12 second cooldown, applies the Shock debuff to the enemy, applying a low damage DoT which spreads to nearby enemies in a “chain lightning” effect.

• Buff HPS back to 60hps
  • CD Rez now works differently. CD Rez is now insta respawn. So instead of coming back where they died, they just bypass respawn time and go back to base as soon as the ability is casted. Instantaenous (but with animation) so there s no cast time
  • Valkyrie. Main target is now healed at 80hps while chained targets are at 50hps or 55hps. Gives one or two charges of rez. Rez now works different during valk wherein it works similar to the current one.

This is a fairly quick brainstorm but the idea is keeping it ‘in the direction the devs want’ but delegating her power away from cd rez and back to her hps

I’ve come up with numerous reworks… which one would you like? But in all seriousness… here’s some things that should definitely get tossed if/when she gets reworked.

Cast time and slow on Resurrect. Silencing yourself and applying a 75% slow to yourself is not and has never been fun. Some or all of that needs to be thrown out.

Chain Beams. Most of the skill of Mercy comes from knowing who needs your help the worst right now and getting there in time… chain beams nukes that skill from orbit. So, that needs to go.

Beam Length. That plus free flight makes Valkyrie waaaay too safe and makes Mercy feel completely detached from the fight going on 25m below her.

Uninterruptible Regen. There’s nothing wrong with this per se, but it doesn’t make her much (if any) more fun and takes part of her power budget. This could stay but Mercy would probably be better off without it.

Oh also her base HPS should go back up to 60.

2 Likes

Putting Valk on an E ability is honestly such an awful idea that i don’t know why so many people are suggesting it in the first place.

just put her res back on ultimate, remove invuln, and give it a 1 second cast time + LoS check. not sure why this is such a hard concept to grasp.

2 Likes

Resurrect is restored as Mercy’s ultimate with these changes in place:

• Ult charge rate increased, and it’ll decay at a small rate if Mercy spends more than 2 seconds not healing or damage boosting. Each Resurrected life is also now worth 50 fire each instead of 100.

This change is to discourage idiot players from hiding the second Rez is earned.

• Invulnerability is replaced with 75% damage reduction (meaning she can still be stunned/hooked/hacked/etc), and has a 0.75 second cast time.

To satisfy the “counterplay” crowd.

Valkyrie is then moved to Mercy’s E-ability. I’d do one of these changes:

• It has an 18-second cooldown, but it gives Mercy free flight for 3-4 seconds, allowing her enough time to escape if she’s cornered and her team is nowhere to be seen.

OR

• It has an 18-second cooldown, but it allows Mercy to chain heal/damage boost her teammates for 3-4 seconds. Enough time to assist with a push, or to possibly sustain her team under heavy fire.

One or the other will make Valkyrie a balanced E-ability.

It really is this simple to have Mercy balanced and fun again with Resurrect as her ult.

2 Likes

I actually pondered with the idea of making her pistol more readily available.

Like binding it to right click instead of cycling between it and the staff

1 Like

I’d put Resurrect back on Q BUT

-No longer an instant cast Ultimate.
-Now is a transformation like Tactical Visor or Molten Core.
-Grants Mercy uninterrupted passive regeneration.
-Keeps the same radius as it currently has.
-No cast time.
-Has 5 charges.
-Allows Mercy to freely move for 6-10 seconds and Resurrect fallen teammates.
-Teammates that have been Resurrected in the past 30 seconds cannot be Resurrected a second time.

Then I’d move Valk to her E ability. Forget all the boons and buffs it currently has and this is what I’d have it like:

-Grants Mercy the ability to Fly for 5 seconds. She moves at 7mps while using this ability.
-Healing/Damage boost still chains to teammates, but it can only chain to one extra teammate.
-Allies affected by the chained healing/damage boost receive only half the effect.
-Guardian Angel and the range of her Beams are at 1.5x the normal range when using Valk.
-Caduceus Blaster keeps the same buffs Valk currently has.
-Cooldown of 15 seconds.

Then to round things out, her Healing will be brought back to 60hps.

This completely removes Hide n’ Res, retains Mass Res in a sense, removes the annoyance of having an enemy die, resurrected, die, resurrected, etc… that initial Valkyrie had, gives her the burst utility she could use to defend herself better, escape sticky situations, and help out her team a little more. Not only that, but Resurrect would have plenty of counterplay. You could kill her while she’s using it which you couldn’t do pre-rework, there’s no instant 5-man Resurrects to complain about, and it retains the power and feel of an ultimate. This also completely removes the whole ‘stop healing and hide or everyone die on point’ behavior that people complained about. This would change Resurrect into more of a reactive ultimate in the middle of a fight rather than using it after a fight has finished.

BUT Mercy players from pre-rework and post-rework don’t get the short end of the stick here. She can still combo Valkyrie with Resurrect and pull off Resurrects like she could with initial rework, albeit much less powerfully and without the longevity. She can also use it as ‘tempo res’ that pre-rework Mercy players mostly used it for.

In short, this rework wouldn’t be imbalanced nor would it be overpowered. It rewards Mercy for doing her job and having great game sense rather than rewarding her for having an ability come off cooldown or hiding and waiting for teammates to perish. It also provides more counterplay that players complained about Valkyrie and pre-rework Resurrect. All in all, while retaining the power that Mercy requires to stay relevant.

1 Like

I’d do two chain beams. One would just look visually clunky/unappealing IMO, and would also be frustrating if it didn’t latch onto the correct target. Having 2 chain beams would look better overall and be more consistent.

1 Like

I’d originally thought two, but I was thinking that could possibly be too strong, but they could easily start out with two and if it did indeed turn out to be too strong they could change it to one.

2 Likes

Move valkyrie to a 4-6 second long ability, and move Rez back to an Ult.

BUT
mercy must manually input how many people she wants to rez: 5 Q presses equals 5 people.

Did you not play when she had 3 rezs? That was awful. You literally had to have soldier or mccree hold ult or you auto lost team fight

1 Like

blaster removed
Healing 15 hps

Ability 1 - Mass Rez on a 5 second cooldown
Ability 2 - Blink
Ultimate - Mercy calls down a meteor from the sky killing the enemy team. (can kill players in spawn) Ullt charge needed 150

2 Likes

Some ideas for 'new" ultimates:

Oh and she would get a new e ability in all of them, e rez can’t stay.

1. Valkyrie + Rez
    Rez is only avaliable during valk, mercy needs to heal 300 hp to get a charge of resurection, also, no chained beams.

2. Rez + high noon
    Mercy would target the souls and start charging them, exactly like McCree, you can only rez if the souls are fully charged. It’s essentially just mass rez with more counterplay, but i’m not so shure about that one.

3. Immortal
    It’s probably my favourite, but rez would be deleted completely.
    Mercy creates an area around her where none of her teammates can go under 10%hp. The area would be a little smaller than Blizzard is and it would last 4-5 sec.

I know had another idea but i don’t remember what it is lol

I’ve mentioned these things before:

Caduceus staff

• Healing beam - 55 HPS
  • Damage beam - reduced from 30% to 25%

(The below ideas create a more generalist Mercy with more utility, so power from her main beams taken away is compensation. Plenty of people will agree 50 HPS doesn’t feel good, but 60 HPS allows her to dominate without much competition due to her consistency)

Caduceus Blaster

• Changed from projectile to hitscan
  • Damage - reduced form 20 per bodyshot (40 per headshot) to 15 per bodyshot (30 per headshot)

(allows Mercy to defend herself better and also contribute more reliable dps personally at the expense of now requiring a higher degree of aim)

Guardian Angel

• Can now be used independantly from allies
  • is now a sustained ability
  • while sustained allows free-flight and movement
  • on a resource meter

(This makes Mercy more dynamic whilst also allowing her to be the go-to healer that can reach her allies. It gives her more independence, but will also require smarter use of the ability + good resource management)

New ability: pro-active rez? :man_shrugging:

• places a mark on an ally, lasts for 5 seconds
  • if ally receives fatal damage within those 5 seconds, is healed for 200 points
  • can be cast at range
  • mark is visible to enemies
  • anti-heal counters the effect
  • 15-second CD

(mass-rez isn’t coming back, and the main gripe with current rez is how unfun it feels + how it cuts Mercy’s kit into seperate pieces and halts her fludiity. This version of Resurrect is higher skill, requires good foresight from the Mercy, and can’t be handed out freely with the promise of a good result)

Passive

• no changes

New Ultimate

• creates a 15M field around Mercy
  • her passive regen becomes un-interruptible
  • The field gives allies standing in the field 15% dmg mitigation, and extends her passive to allies at half the magnitude
  • lasts for 10 seconds
  • the passive regen will persist on allies who leave the field (or when the ult ends) for an additional 5 seconds. (But not Mercy)
  • Ult-charge: 2500

(Got this idea from the old concepts that were shown a while back. Mercy originally had an ability called “salvation”, it made me think of an ult like this)

Yes, i did play it then. And she only wouldnt have rez on 30 sec cooldown which is a game changer. Im sorry but if mercy is dipping in and out of the battle 5 times and you couldnt kill her, the problem is you

1 Like

you play mercy dont you… its very obvious that you have never played a hitscan or really any dps for that matter. Im pretty sure mercy movement speed is the fastest constant movement in the game. (not counting tracer blink because its more teleport than fast movement)