If you are a sombra main

How do you play her now, that isn’t possible with the ptr update?
Do you have the translocator down in the enemy health packs?
Do you sit on top of the rein?

I see a lot of people saying the new sombra is a nerf, but why?
She was never a hero that would solo brawl the enemy team, she was never the hero contesting the point, nor was she the main dps.
She was always an infiltrator, whos job it was to take down the enemy healer / shield.
How does she not do that now?

6 Likes

I think these changes will help.

5 Likes

I know what the changes are, but i don’t see how they make her worse at killing the enemy mercy.

4 Likes

Leave your translocator inside your spawn.
Infinitely invisibility and no timers on translocator should allow you to go find some random solo person and kill or translocate before dying.
Repeat.

Occasionally hack some stuff.

4 Likes

Or you could use it as a mobility, throw it over the enemy choke, around flanks, etc.
You will be invisible from the time you spawn in til the time you are ready to kill.

1 Like

I know, I was just throwing some suggestion out there as the ideas that I made, will make her more appealing.

2 Likes

Agreed.

They will help😂

7 Likes

Thank you my friend!

3 Likes

NEW SOMBRA BUFF IS A NERF! - YouTube that should make it clear its probably the best way to realise how bad she is on the PTR
Im thinking of doing a vid for a new post just the explain everything in detail

6 Likes

PERSONALLY, not saying this is how you should play her, but I use translocator as a mobility option, not as a get-out-of-jail-free card. I don’t hack health packs unless I need health. Made it to 3700 this way but then I dropped so maybe i do play her wrong.

2 Likes

It’s the exact same thing, but nerfed on the PTR on various ways. But it’s easier for newcomers to pick her up because there’s no management of timers anymore. But the playstyle is exactly the same, except slower, more unreliable and clunkier

Noone can speak for all Sombra players. But it heavily depends on the map. For example on Volskaya A attack, camping behind enemy lines is a viable tactic. On PTR this is much more difficult because of the HUGE noise the translocator makes, plus it’s harder/slower to reach the backline with the added visual effects and speed nerf

I don’t understand the question tbh

Because she does the exact same things as before but slower, more unreliably and clunkier. Plus you can’t contest.

We never asked nor played her like that

Yeah she was. In fact she was by far the most effective hero in slowing down payloads. In 2cp Mei was more effective as a “desperation stall”. But as a general stall Sombra was always up there.

Like we said. She does that. But slower and clunkier.

12 Likes

This is the way pro players play her.

1 Like

It’s a nerf because it takes away so much from her kit for benefits that don’t actually affect good Sombra players. The “buffs” give you the opportunity to increase your downtime, and the nerfs heavily outweigh the buffs.

The Translocator only having 5 health means a stray bullet destroys it. Throwing it in for an EMP is Sombra’s ace in the hole, but with these changes, it’s inconsistent. It is likely to get destroyed before it even reaches the enemy team, and not because of any skill on their part, but because they’re constantly shooting.

The beeping noise it makes has also had its volume increased, making the Translocator ridiculously easy to hunt down. This means Sombra needs to place her Translocator further from the fight in order for the enemy to not find it.

The Stealth change lets Sombra stay invisible forever, but good Sombra players try to minimize the time they spend invisible. Staying in the action and constantly farming ult are important to Sombra’s playstyle, but these changes encourage Sombra to spend more time not engaging the enemy. She only sees value from the increased duration if she spends more than 6 seconds invisible. Anything less than that, and the old Sombra would have been able to cover that ground faster.

If you watch high-level Sombra play, contesting IS something she does. If Sombra’s team got staggered, she could cycle her Stealth and Translocator to stall while the team regroups.

These changes don’t make her better at infiltrating. The buffs don’t offer her any more opportunities that the old Sombra wouldn’t have, but the increased detection radius, extra visual effects on Translocating, and easily-destroyed Translocator make it harder to do her job. These changes make Sombra louder and more visible than ever.

19 Likes

Many high performing Sombra mains contested the point all the time. I am not sure where you got the impression that Sombra doesnt do that. Also, The contention with these “buffs” out side of the contesting issue is the expanded detection range and the destruction of her translocator by enemies. The latter makes her entire kit countered by 5 damage or less; the former negates much of the value of the stealth buff. Also, as a side note, why give perma stealth and then expand the sound of translocator to 20m? That gives notice that sombra is in the area, which kinda defeats the purpose as well. So, she has no combat action, no contest, double detect, 1 damage cancel, translocator sound, and exit announcement + no action while exiting all connected to her stealth…like wtf

This also doesn’t touch the fact that none of the Sombra mains particularly asked for these “buffs.” We wanted bug fixes and a rework of the LoS with her hack because it was clearly flawed. I like Fitzy’s idea that the LoS should be a final check at the end of the hack before it goes off, not the entire animation. That is what they do with Hogs hook. They also need to do something with her reload because it is awkward.

6 Likes

On volskaya, you are still able to translocate around the right hand flank, and you can translocate through the window.

When it comes to placing the translocator behind the enemy, you have the option to put it closer to the enemy spawn.

You stay in stealth until it’s time for your team to attack. Then you take down the enemy healer.
Your team should win the fight then, as it’s 6 vs 5, and your team still has their healers.

Thanks for the Sombra lesson mate. Next time please read what I actually wrote though.

What you just suggested takes more time than the flank we already used, makes us throw the trans ever farther back, resulting in more down time, added to the slower stealth speed. Plus you run the risk of a respawning enemy hearing your trans.

Get why we are upset now? We gained nothing from all of this but lost much.

2 Likes

Good thing that isn’t her function then

Oh my god stop it. For the love of god that isn’t what he asked stop spamming your link in every damn sombra thread Jesus Christ.

Or you could play Tracer and not have to waste your team’s time getting into position, fighting with your team and using your damage to threaten enemies instead of sitting in cloak unable to deal damage.

Why would you want to sit in cloak doing nothing while waiting for the “perfect opportunity” to strike, when you could literally play any other flanker and engage on that same opportunity, but while also poking and farming ult?

1 Like

No, i don’t.
If you use the translocator as a spawn point. (having it down the entre match on a health pack) then obviously it’s a nerf.

If you don’t play with your team, then it’s a nerf.

But as long as you play her as a infiltrator, that has the job of taking down a healer, she would work much better now.

Watch how fitzyhere plays sombra. He doesn’t use the translocator as a failsafe. It’s his mobility option.
He waits for the team, then stops the important enemy heroes.
This playstyle won’t change with her updates.