If you alting to learn a char + your team is getting rolled

heres the thing

if im a diamond or masters soldier player that for some reason made a new account to practice genji. and im in like gold

me swapping to soldier is unfair, and thus smurfing while staying on that practice hero is ‘fair’

asking someone to swap is asking to be carried. if you deserve the win you’ll get it.

id say these kinds of posts come from players who dont feel they have any real effect on the matches. and thats because they dont… as it turns out you kinda have to know how to play the game to be a useful tank or support. as a dps you climb into like diamond off just mechanical skill fairly easily.

1 Like

You’re playing the wrong game if you want people to do that. Nobody cares how the game “sets up” the match, the outcome is still overwhelmingly random beyond your control because of what 11 other players do (or don’t do). I’ve lost count of how many free wins I’ve been handed despite barely doing anything, because the coin toss landed in my favor and the other team got the troll/leaver/etc.

Embrace the chaotic circus that is Overwatch, and play whatever you find most fun. It’s what most people are already doing, so it’s your loss if you don’t join in.

ill just be real with you:

if a person is in lets say silver. and they wanna learn pharah, they can very easily learn how to counter the hitscans until they are a non issue.

this works fairly well up until around diamond, where dps actually start having a brain (plus hella cracked aim).

this is the exact reason why people make alts to learn new heroes, if your a masters hitscan main you dont exactly want too be practicing a new hero at your peak elo. so you start over fresh

but if your in silver and meeting ppl on alts, chances are there mains arnt much better. this is more of a like gold/plat problem where diamond/masters players are practicing stuff. no diamond/masters will ever end up in silver, maybe gold after placements. but never silver, you have to play really badly to end up in silver and even on just mechanic’s alone alot of those people would place near plat

1 Like

but what if the enemy goes phara / echo? ggnext? in a situation where a specific counterpick is actually needed, you REFUSE to play it? even if you would be actually GOOD at the hero?

thats more or less hard throwing and a reportable gameplay sabotage.

I’m a silver whose trying to rank up to diamond… but I have people who refuse to switch off the weakest character on our team.

What’s worse I switch cause I desperately want to win, to something that might actually help the phara. And it may not even be my strongest character.

That diamond hitscan, if playing a character who is the weakest link is causing the roll and there are some of us in the lower Elo who actually want to rank up to avoid folks like the alt account.

And yes the absolute solution? Is to find other silvers who want to rank up - but that takes time outside the game that I may not have.

What’s worse are the people trying out tanks… like ball.

It’s this lack of respect of people in lower Elo. “Oh I should practice in silver cause it doesn’t matter down there - even if I don’t switch off mentality”. Also if your use to diamond and want that phara good, why not try the char IN diamond. Because again, whatever sr you lose you can just “get back”?

A main account will play different from a old account. I’d rather with a person who has a 30% win ratio on his main than a Alt account with 30% win ratio practicing on his alt.

The difference is Alts
-dont care about their Alts as much as they their Mains.

• more likely to give up simply because SR losses don’t matter as much as their main
  • quitting becomes more likely
  • higher chance they won’t switch because they are explicitly “practicing”
  • if they try to be noble by avoiding characters. they’re too good with so as to not Smurf, the potential characters they will switch too becomes smaller potentially making the would be best choice inaccessible.
  • If they are willing to pick their best the are essentially smurfing which is equally disliked.

You will never play your main like your alt, it’s the reason the alt was created.

Because I’m a 3800+ tracer and the meta shifts towards McCree I don’t wanna fall 500SR. So I get on my plat account and climb from there with McCree.

2 Likes

Well I mean McCree is so meta that I don’t think a McRee would drastically would be farmed vs pharah or genji

Folks plz the title says when your team is getting rolled.

however… losing 500sr :slight_smile:

1. Can’t you get it back? No such thing as elo hell right?
  2. Wouldn’t you want to have a character in high level play instead of picking up bronze / silver / gold moving targets?
  3. Is there no other options : death match, aim lab, Mcree game QUICK PLAY?!?

I feel like I’ve played against you in QP or 8 Player FFA.

1 Like

Alts are generally in a lower SR than mains therefore Game sense should make up for the lack of mechanical skill. I could make an alt and play idk Winston. I could place in say silver to start with but game sense should be able to climb as I get better mechanically.

I’ll repeat, if you pick a character that’s getting hard counter and the team is being rolled hard… you senses should be alarming you that the pick you have should be changed.

The Winston playing against a reaper and hog.

It’s a matter of respect for your teammates. “Low Elo players are trying to win just like you high Elo players too.

Would expect a masters Winston even without playing him much to clear out a silver teams back line tbh

I haven’t played on this account in over a year. I just post on it.

1 Like

Your missing the point. If the Winston is working - and you have a main tank - go for it. But… if the tank agreement is not great for a Winston, and the team is actually identifying you as an issue. Take the high ground - gee golly don’t pick your best cause that would be smurfing but man just pick something else.

Knowing a character is also knowing when to switch off that character. - me

Winston is a main tank…

If its QP seriously, that’s when you should do it. Comp I would agree.

Definition of main tank can be outside this thread - make a thread so we can discuss. This thread is about something else.

Someone from a higher rank using knowledge and playing against people who haven’t got the mechanical skill or game sense should be able to do well even when hard countered.

Again, if your team is slightly losing then ya someone else can go clutch. But being rolled over and tickling my belly something is not working.

I’ll go a little deeper. I’m asking for your competitive spirit. If you’re on your alt for practicing your WANT is not the same as people you’re playing with. Their want is WINNING, yours is to practice, winning is nice but learning is primary.

People refuse to switch when countered on their mains too, so this isn’t really an issue specifically related to alt accounts.

1 Like