If we get banned for saying bad stuff why isnt it censored?

Today, I called someone a c0nt, and I know for sure I’m gonna get suspended (I know it’s my fault, so don’t start). But all of the times I’ve been silenced/suspended, and asked why I was suspended, it’s usually because I said a curse word. Once I told someone to take a swan dive and nothing happened. But another time, I tell someone they’re (insert bad word for poop), and I get suspended? Why don’t curse words get censored lmao. Like yeah, we can switch from censored to matured chat or just turn it off, but if you’re gonna constantly ban people for saying bad words, why don’t you just turn them off? I can’t post anything on HERE with curse words, but in the game, I can?

1 Like

It is just a fancy trick they use to get rid of certain individuals. /s

2 Likes

pal, i got suspended for saying things like “gg”. the worst i said was “why tf me?” one time i got solo ulted. Their bot is definitely not working well, and their game masters lack common sense rn too. Average overwatch, i suppose

1 Like

You kept getting silenced and suspended, and then being told it was because ‘you keep swearing at people’, and you didn’t think maybe your behaviour was the issue?

No, surely it must be the system’s fault for not keeping you in check. My gamer in christ, take some responsibility.

People can swear in games, that’s why we have the filter, that’s not the issue. The issue is you kept insulting people. Maybe stop doing that instead of expecting blizzard to do it for you? You have the autonomy to control your actions here.

It’s not to keep you from swearing, it’s for people to modify their own or their children’s experiences. You are still supposed to refrain from swearing or using offensive language.

4 Likes

Yes it does. Stop coddling thin-skinned people.

This is standard practice. Automated text censorship is never going to be perfect. Circumventing it - whether intentionally or not - does not excuse toxic behaviour.

In my experience, people who complain about being censored are the thinnest-skinned around.

3 Likes

whats super funny to me is you can be in lobbies with people hurling actual slurs, being racist, homophobic whatever

and somehow saying “tank diff” or “gg ez” is worse and gets you reported

what a joke

2 Likes

You should probably get out the house more then.

… where in there does it say the filter catching your words makes it OK?

2 Likes

This as well. There’s no limit on what the kids consider “inappropriate.”

They’re more toxic that the people hurling out slurs.

Please understand that I’m doing my level-best to not phrase this as a put-down, but…

The fact that you’re butt-hurt enough to pick fights with random people is ample evidence of my claim. You don’t see people making constant threads about how someone called them a meany poo-poo head. By contrast, you see repeated threads from people complaining that they accused others of having cooties and then got put on a time-out. The thickness of one’s skin measured directly in proportion of how easily they tilt at even minor provocations.

To put it another way - if you can’t handle the bans, maybe don’t pick fights with people in chat. That seems pretty simple to me.

2 Likes

Stopped reading at this point.

Thereby proving my point.

2 Likes

You know whats funny, before i found out i was bipolar i was on meds that really made me angry all the time and every day i would lose it and go off on people multiple times a day saying all the bannable things. Its not right but surprisingly i never got banned. Like i would say some of the worst stuff you could say. Im so glad i got a handle on things now i dont rage at this game anymore (or in general), i just leave way before it gets to that point so i only play in batches of like 2-5 matches

1 Like

Only person trying to pick a fight is you, so it’s kind of hypocritical to virtue signal and and make some petty “Hue hue you just proved my point” comment. It’d be intellectually more satisfying to have some 12 year old call me the N word, because I would at least be at least compelled to ask him why he felt that way. But if you are content spending your time being passive aggressive to manipulate people into thinking you’re somehow morally superior then by all means, good luck with that.

If you’d actually read the content of my previous post, you’d know that’s not what I mean. This is why I left that disclaimer - I know that my words come across as a put-down, but they’re not meant to be. I just don’t have a better way of phrasing this.

I’m attempting to provide a bit of perspective on the inherent contradiction found in actively seeking out people to call “thin-skinned”. Or more specifically, that the attitude of segregating people into “thin-skinned” and “thick-skinned” in general is not internally consistent. A thick-skinned person wouldn’t care, at least by the definition of the term I’m aware of.

This isn’t a matter of moral superiority of being right or what have you. My goal is to make people stop and think about actions they’d normally make intuitively without ever considering why they’re doing them in the first place. Sometimes it works, sometimes it doesn’t. There’s no harm in trying either way.

3 Likes

Does that include not coddling people who get upset when they’re called out for being toxic?

4 Likes

There are filters that you can choose in the game settings and they are set to “snowflake” mode (or whatever is called) for new accounts afak.

You are going to get punished for using bad language regardless of what filters you select though.

1 Like

Don’t be internally inconsistent and complain about things being internally inconsistent.

No one coddles people who’re labeled as toxic. “Toxicity” is just a buzzword used by people who can’t handle or don’t understand conflict.

If you guys were really as grown up as you claim, you’d realize that 99% of the time, it really has nothing to do with you at all.