If servers crash, SR should be refunded

It’s absolutely crazy to not do that when it’s not anyone’s fault that Blizzard’s servers went out. This happened multiple times already. There is no way to predict, anticipate, or avoid it…so why are people who were in competitive matches at that time punished?

Why is a rollback not appropriate? :confused:

2 Likes

Unfortunately all disconnections and game crashes counts as leaving the match and will be penalized appropriately. The game server has no way to discern a legitimate disconnection or game crash from one that is forcefully caused by a dishonest player to bypass leaver penalties. You can learn about this policy here:

Remember if you see the message, “Lost Connection to the Server” in the title screen or the message “Failed to Connect to Server” in red text in the text chat box, this means there is something that disrupted your connection to the game server and not a problem with the game server itself. There can be a variety of reasons this happens including those that don’t disconnect your computer from the Internet.

To further elaborate, a rollback is not feasible because it’s not just a matter of going to a backup. There are millions of accounts per region, and even during a mass server outage, not everyone is necessarily affected and it would be unfair to those players if their hard work was lost.

I hope this gives insight to why Blizzard runs Competitive in this matter and hope any technical issues have since passed. Otherwise please reach out to the technical support forums for more help, where players like myself or Blizzard support agents can lend a hand.

I get it, but they surely should have a way to know if it was a problem from their side.

1 Like

Giving everyone an extra 40 or so SR due to it would be fine though.

First, understand that the only time there is a “server issue” is the error code message “The server has closed due to an unexpected error.” in the text chat box, every time this has happened to me, the match will either cancel or restart with the same players, no SR is lost in that case. That being said, I do believe when there is a “server issue” the game system overall knows to correct it. However, this happens EXTREMELY rarely.

Most issues where we see multiple players disconnect/get kicked is due to the connection at some point. Now the closer the problem is to Blizzard’s end of the connection, the more players it will impact. For example there was some DDoS attacks on the network providers that Blizzard uses a few weeks ago, this is not a server problem by definition. Furthermore, it doesn’t affect everyone as servers are located all around the world.

The only issue I would take in that, is that it would reward people who probably didn’t deserve it? Like, that would be a benefit to them for getting messed by the servers, whereas just rolling it back would make it as if it never happened.

My concern is - I get it. WiFi crashing or other technical issues have no real way to determine whether it was intentional or accidental. And in that case, SR loss is just fine. I’ve disconnected once in my Overwatch career, and it was because my WiFi provider messed with our cables outside and cut it by accident lol. Which was fine - not in my control, but also can’t blame the punishment.

My concern is when there is a server issue and it does give that issue, I’ve not only experienced it myself, but conferred with a few other friends that we did lose SR anyways. Even though it says “The server has closed due to an unexpected error” and Blizzard later revealed (via Twitter/Reddit) that their servers had issues.

So my concern is, while I trust they try to make it right and set up a system where it won’t punish you for an issue on their side - it still seems to happen.

Should have prefaced this by saying I was not in a competitive game where I got an error. I luckily finished before. :x

In those cases, report it in the bug report forum. As I do believe in those cases those problems are a case where SR should not have suffered. Now that being said, regardless of the cause of a drop where you lose SR, this is why the penalty starts small (10 minutes) and you never lose more than 50 SR (with the extremely rare exception where you are on a multiple game losing streak and the SR is being drastically adjusted based on your performance [and it takes more than 10 games to trigger that])

1 Like

That addresses my concern lol. I guess it’s more of a, “What if an instance where I shouldn’t have lost SR resulted in SR loss out of no fault of my own?” question I had.

I tried to emphasize it, but perhaps I didn’t do it enough - but I think the penalties are completely fine. I know they start out small - I didn’t consider the 50 SR loss or 10 minute timer that bad (mostly because I was focused on trying to fix my WiFI lol). But I know they are there for a reason. I’m 100% fine with it :smile: and I know that it shouldn’t be refunded in instances that are Blizzard’s “fault” because of how it would encourage people to exploit it.

LOL, of course they could have the thread spawning match tasks see if a task was cancelled abnormally and not affect SR.

This is lazy programming, nothing else.

Sorry, but all resources are working on OWL. We got your money.

… and plz remember to buy more smurf accounts.