If Mind Control was the next mechanic.... (No Matter What)

Why do people always assume that Blizz is going to make these characters OP? Oh right, because most of the people who wine about OP heroes think OP means any hero that can beat them.

1 Like

And yet assassination is a Sombra main’s favorite hobby.

It’s not about making a hero OP or not, it’s about balancing the mechanic as a whole.

For a mind control mechanic, what would that hero have to give up in their kit to make that work? Sombra is a fairly good example of this design concept in that she’s constantly lagged behind other DPS because of how much of her power budget that Hack takes up.

Considering that Mind Control is infinitely more powerful than Hack, we can assume that they’d have to have a kit that’s weaker than Sombra’s since it’s so easy to turn a MC into at least one guaranteed kill.

1 Like

I dont think ability like that should be added to this game but…
What if it will work as ult when you make a drone something like junkrat ult, that you can control and attack to the player, drone deals dmg to him slowly, but at the same time you are having control over the hero and he can be killed by his teammates, or his teammates can destroy drone on his back that is taking control over him, or just kill the hero who send drone.

To make it less iritating i would change respawn time on people who die during mind control, so they would get back to plaing faster

But again propably cant happend in this game :man_shrugging:

But mind control doesn’t have to mean taking over the other hero. The OP problme is why I didn’t put it my list a few post ago.

This is based off the Anubis theory

It wouldn’t.

They said the same about stealth

Eh. Stealth is a lot easier to work with and I mever particularly agreed with those saying it couldn’t be balanced since we’ve seen it work in other pvp based FPS games.

The only instance I can really think of mind control is in WoW. But that game is very different than OW. I feel as though mind control would end up feeling unsatisfying in the game, whether it be for the one being controlled or for the controller due to the limitations that would likely be put on it.

You force someone to register a Q press.

Ultimate and you move as a spectator cam to select the target. Then you will take control of him. He will be a 7th ally in the game and the enemy can kill him like you can them.

You could only passively see what the opponent is seeing through their eyes without any control over their movement or impairment to their gameplay. Mind control-like abilities would be impossible with CC tied to it

I would probably leave, ngl.

Not unless you see it as anti CC

How about a slightly less OP mechanic: A targetted pull that you use on an enemy and pull them towards you at a moderate speed for 2-3 seconds. or something like that.

Sym tp off cliffs memories intensifies

well you used to be able to take complete control over people in WoW with the Priest’s mind control ability and it lasted like a full 30 seconds back in the day (2004-2005 era) and you could just PK anyone by running them off a cliff for an instant kill. it’s since been heavily nerfed over the years and is, from what i understand these days, basically a PvE only ability now.

if something like this existed in OW, it would be very hard to balance. you’re talking about an ability (ultimate maybe?) that instantly makes the enemy team compete with only 5 players. even if the operator of the mind control is stationary and vulnerable while using it, the fact remains you’re forcing a 6v6 fight to become a 5v6 temporarily and the mind control user is simply swapping their hero to be another one for a short duration. at the higher levels of play, this would be ENORMOUSLY broken because a pro level team, all possessing the knowledge that they’re in a temporary 5v6 scenario, will go all out aggressive and win that team fight 9 times out of 10 before the mind control even wears off. stats already show the team with the first pick in a fight has an overwhelmingly high chance to win the fight.

and there is no situation where it would be balanced for the operator to not lose control a la Junkrat’s ult, otherwise you’re turning it into a 5v7 fight (only way this could work would be if the mind control victim suffers more of a ‘confusion’ type debuff like in RPGs, where they randomly attack allies and randomly use their abilities, basically they become a bot set to kill team mates and even then this is OPAF, Blizzard said they’ll never add any sort of bot system to replace a leaver because it is basically an RNG unit with no control, so every death to it would be cheap and unfair)

only way you could balance this concept is to make it into an ultimate and also probably make the mind control victim move slower and do less damage than normal. then if their allies damage them down to like 25% HP they lose the mind control (IMO would be OP if you could kill your own teammate this way, since with the way teams tend to turn around and dogpile on backline/flank threats, they’d SURELY kill their own teammate instantly every time, then it becomes an even longer 5v6 fight which the short handed team is almost always destined to lose).

no matter you cut it, the entire concept of this ability is something that would force a team to become shorthanded, it’s essentially a guaranteed pick in most scenarios and would be the sole factor for winning countless fights in this game. the only way to remotely balance it would be to make it very very very difficult to pull it off, but that makes it worse as pros will get insanely good with it (like they all do with Ana sleep dart) but at lower ranks it would be a luck shot not a skill shot and that isn’t something the game needs (to use the same example, most low tier sleep darts are luck shots not skill shots, to that end a sleep dart in silver is practically RNG due to the lack of mechanics)

1 Like

Feel like it’s gonna happen one way or another

to be honest if their intention is to keep up with other hero shooters and moba type games, it might happen as blizz runs out of ideas over time. rainbow six siege for example has a 10 year lifespan plan that ubisoft takes very seriously and their goal is 100 different characters by the end of the game’s life cycle. it seems a lot of ‘hero’ games are in this boat now of wanting well beyond a rational amount of characters because new characters means more marketing and sales and hype on a timed cycle of 2-3 months, but where do you go when good ideas run out and you’re forced to spitball janky ideas that might hurt the game?

also, instead of pure mind control, i’d like more of a mesmerizer type hero in the future, someone based entirely around illusions and mirages and such. would likely have to be similar to Warcraft 3’s blademaster where he could make 3 extra copies of himself and instead of doing zero damage, they did like 25% of your damage, because any actual player would just ignore them if they did nothing. they’d have to stay in sync with your own attacks though, but imagine if you had 3 illusions which you could give basic commands to, it would sort of be like playing a necromancer or pet class in an MMO.

It would work by instantly dropping the playerbase by 20-30%.

1 Like