If I were Hammond, pretty sure i'd disintegrate myself

The cute appeal is annoying to be honest.

Like they should have honestly made this character more rodent-like to stir away from the nonsense and actually have some lore / depth to the personality that people would care about.

For one, the “forever mr nice guy” just takes away from the character and it all becomes all about cute appeal. It also does a terrible art design dilemma of always having the player never pay attention to the makeshift mech, but always have them looking at a hamster. Which is kinda stupid when you work so hard on the escape pod mech design to just have a player ignoring 90% of the skin.

So no one actually cares about the personality or how great of a mechanic that guy is and it just becomes about cute / dress up cringe. Half of the skins, emotes, potg cutscenes, sprays are ruined cause of this mindset. So tedious.

Like if I were in that guys position i’d just get annoyed and start ray gunning people into oblivion anytime they called me cute lol.

2 Likes

They just shouldn’t have put a freaking hamster in the game. I have no idea what they were thinking. It’s completely dissonant with the rest of the game.

3 Likes

It should have been just the mech.

3 Likes

I mean I dont mind it, but like they should have made that guy remind you as if you met a guy on a space planet and saw like a mechanic guy selling you some stuff or something.

Idk.

Nah, its fine to have the character out of the tank like that, but I’m pretty sure if it was a blacked-out rodent rat with some red eyes controlling the mech it’d look bad ***. That would keep away from the cute appeal that just ruins his cosmetics.

oh and people would actually learn the lore / care about the character rather than dress-up cringe skins / sprays / emotes (etc).

Wow, people are still complaining about Hammond?

6 Likes

Well, not really.

I like the gameplay / lore of him. Part of him is ruined off that cute mentality.

I am complaining about the cute appeal & cringy community / developers about him that will just always want cute skins rather than lore / creative skins / emote / sprays (etc).

I like Wrecking Ball / Hammond in terms of what he is and how hes a mechanic making a makeshift escape pod into a tank w/ turrets… but I think all lore / personality about him is lost with the cute appeal garbage.

So people don’t care, they just spam cute stuff. Half of his cosmetics are ruined off that mindset as well if you look at them. Like half of his emotes, skins, sprays, victory poses are all trash cute stuff and little of him is left with lore / personality.

So it sucks, yeah.

1 Like

It should just have been a Omnic captured by Junkers how had to fight its way out of captivity. Like a gladiator that gets killed and repaired just to be killed again the next day for the Junkers bloodsport.

And finnaly after years Wreckingball becomes champion and wins his freedom back. Or maybe secretly upgrades himself with spare-parts from the scrapyard to later escape.

But no! they had to make him a hamster who just piggyback off of Winstons backstory. I hate Hammond as a character. But he is fun to play so whatever I guess…

yes, and i genuinely doubt most of us will stop. apart from ruining any perceptions about the game, like half the development team hates him too. he’s by far the most controversial character in that a good chunk think his appearance as a hamster isnt good for the whole of overwatch, lore and all.

If we had any other lore in year three, he might not be so bad. But because he’s IT, he’s gotten the brunt of the general frustration with the complete dearth of lore and what feels like no news or updates in that area either.

So yeah. either blizz ponies up and starts up their own story here again, or the hamster will continue to gain everyones attention as something thats “ruining” the story when all thats actually ruining the story is the complete and utter lack of a story.

I mean he’s… cute, but that’s more or less a human thing. He cusses and trash talks, he’s in a wicked mech, he’s a genius. But because he’s a hamster with edited genes, and therefore squeaks, people go all “uwu he adorb”.

As someone who actually wanted a more cutesy (and technically quadruped) character, Hammond was a big disappointment. He’s totally badass, though.

In agreement with OP. I think it comes down to one thing:
People need to chill out on him. Their own perspective is most of the issue.

1 Like

but what is the point of making a cool design, but then it just being skipped over again and again just by a cringy mentality. Thats like saying “hey I am a good artist, but lets just ruin that all by tagging some cute crap instead of showing off my skill.”

Take a look at half of his cosmetics, emotes, skins, highlight intro, sprays (etc).

Part of this hero is ruined because of that. Even his junker skin was ruined cause of that mentality.

In the trailer I expected that scrap metal mouth demented smiley face to be a thing where his jaws shut closes when going in ball form alongside this guy wearing the welding equipment he had in the trailer, but no. Just cringy dress up mohawk hipster design. Mayhem is just zarya goth to me.

“Junker” skin had potential, a lot of his cosmetics had potential. So stupid man.

I think I would have preferred that he was the cause of the moon situation. Not evil, just wanted freedom. Idk, right now he just feels like a survivor… that became a survivor in robot death matches. Not much has really changed except where he is. It felt like they were going for a freedom at any cost feel in the trailer. What with his constant escapes and them not keeping up. At least that’s what I got out of it.

Pretty much everything you said just sounds like D.Va to me so I don’t see the difference. :man_shrugging:

I’m surprised that you’re surprised at people complaining about Hammond. People still complain about things that have been in the game since the beginning, even if it’s been changed. This entire forum sometimes ends up feeling like an echo-chamber for pocket communities to vent about things in ways that are neither constructive nor useful in the slightest.

Can we get a Skaven maybe?