If everyone in a teir is around the same Skill then

why are most games lanslide victories or crushing defeats?

If everyone is the around the same skill in gold then shouldn’t most if not all games be very close? No they’re not because everyone in gold doesn’t belong in gold…some deserve to be higher and some deserve to be lower…the problem is the game punishes success by putting higher skilled golds with people who don’t even belong in gold…not to mention platinum people trying to carry silver in groups…wtf is this game

1 Like

Because of a thing called momentum. Win the first fight = get more ult charge = stagger enemy. Use the ults to win the next fight. Enemy tries switching, loses ult charge. Process repeats itself.

5 Likes

Are you sure? I think its just people dont want to see things as they really are. Smurfs and leavers in every game. Stomps every game. But if you actualy record a lot of games in row, you will see its not like that. Just check my games, yes i had stomp, but only rare total stomps where enemy team could not win. Actualy i had many very close games.

1 Like

No, being there are a lot of different paths to get to a given rank in this game. Everyone has their own pros and cons, along with a play style. If we all played in full stacks or if more people did pub games they would see first hand how you can trade steam rolls back and forth, but it’s the same exact teams.

1 Like

It’s momentum as jacqui said, and also the fact that you’re only looking at it on the surface level. People have good/bad days, someone having a good/bad day is going to generally play better/worse. If someone having a good day plays against someone having a bad day, the person having a bad day is going to get STOMPED. Someone could also be expecting their teammates to play a certain way, and when they don’t, they end up playing a lot worse than usual. Maybe someone plays really well/badly with/against certain team comps, and depending on what their team or the enemy is running, they could play terribly or absolutely roll. Also, tilt, enough said.

The problem is you only see this from your perspective, with people you only play with max a couple times a day. A combination of these different factors make some players that on average belong in gold seem like they don’t.

2 Likes

another big reason is not everyone can play their best every game, everyone has bad games. sometimes it’s you, or your teammates or the enemy.

1 Like

In the past week i’ve seen a DRASITC difference in games, all while in high Silver.

You should have seen my impossible, ridiculous losses a few days ago at 1800.

And then the easiest games i’ve even seen in my entire time playing this game the very next day… at the same rank.

There’s no WAY all these players are truly the same rank, lol.

People play inconsistently. Your SR is where you play on average, but not where you play every single game. I’m sure you’ve felt it yourself: some games you hit every shot and sometimes you miss every shot.

They’re probably not. It could be you’re experiencing one of the cognitive biases. en. wikipedia. org/wiki/List_of_cognitive_biases

It could be because Gold is where people start for placements (around 2350 according to the post I linked), and it takes a number of games for some people’s SR to be adjusted correctly.

It also could be some of the things mentioned in other people’s comments.

They’re not inherently. Gold is likely to be the most accidentally inaccurate tier. Fortunately it also has the largest population. Top 500 is almost certainly the most accurate tier, where Bronze is the most intentionally inaccurate tier (full of thrower trolls).

You may be having a disproportionate number of landslide type games, or it’s possible that people have different definitions of close games. Is a close game determined by score? Does it need to be 3-2, 2-1? Does it need to have gone into overtime? Could one team fight with an ult fired before before a person died have changed the course of the game? It is probably a very difficult thing to clearly and consistently define close games.

It’s possible you’re participating in some of the myths that are discussed in the post I linked.

A very complicated team game that many people enjoy playing for many hours a week.

1 Like

My friend, blizzard try to be creative in their matchmaking and it is the biggest fail since the Fyre Fest. I am telling you this matchmaker is like something JaRule the rapper would make. At this point I am to be embarrassed for the developer who made this, I pray for him almost every day

Which game’s matchmaker did you write or help design?

3 Likes

I’m with jacqui. Example:

You’re defending Volskaya. The enemy gets a lucky pick (I mean actually lucky, not your dumb team mate being unaware and standing in the wrong place), they wipe the rest of your team, and they take point A really quickly. Your team regroups ON point B. But now the enemy probably has a couple of ults while you have none. Because you’re playing Competitive and aren’t in OWL you try to defend ON point B and just get wiped by their ults because you have nothing to defend with.

Now, if you’d played super aggressive and tried to stop their first push before they got to point B while also building your own ult charge you might have stood a chance at stopping their momentum and making a comeback in that round. But no, you stood there just waiting for them to wipe you a second time. You gave them the choice of when to engage and gave away your opportunity to force out some cool downs and perhaps get some early picks.

So anyway, you got steam rolled essentially because of one lucky pick right at the start of the round. Not necessarily because the enemy was distinctly superior in skill to your own.

1 Like

because of flexing filling and underperforming with roles/heroes. I am Ashe main Gm, If I go hanzo I would play like 3500, If I go widow I gonna play like 3.3k If I go healer I gonna play like 2500, so my team ask me to play like 2500 okay letsgo dude, but as I said 6 dps mains is better composition, than what I describe before.