Ideas for D.Va changes in Ow2

So I’ve been thinking up a few ideas for ways to buff Dva in ow2 as a solo tank and given how she’s dying more in ow2 according to the last update, I think changes to her kit other than number changes may be needed.

I’d like to know your own ideas for changes to her kit too. I’ve seen a few great ideas and figured I’d list them here too on top of my own ideas.

As a starter, Dva really needs to retain 300 armor for Ow2. I’d much prefer 300/300 than any other version of her health values. This seems to be the best overall option for her where it doesn’t take a year to be healed up to 100% and has enough armor to not be blown up too quickly.

• Boosters on a resource bar like DM and now has a 2 second cooldown.

She needs to reposition much faster in ow2 and boosters were noticeably troubling as 4 second cooldown doesn’t allow for quick in and out agressive plays. They also seems very lackluster in comparison to other tank movement options like Hammond and now Doomfist. The much larger map sizes makes this more noticeable as well.

• New function to Defense Matrix

Where sigma and orisa both have effectively their own version of DM now with secondary effects, The original DM is begging for some kind of update. I’d prefer it to simply go back to 15 meter length again with the original visual and nothing more. If that simply isn’t in the cards though, having DM increase Dva’s fire rate after deleting a certain amount of damage would be a great new change to the ability. “Time to raise my APM” would actually mean something. This would be for a brief time (2 or 3 seconds) and would reward good use of defense matrix.

• Crit box change

Dva’s biggest issue has always been her big crit box that can hardly be missed. There’s no effort or risk involved in aiming for it. Even if it’s a miss on the crit, you’re still going to hit her mech.
The idea for change here is to make her windshield a literal shield no different than the other blue shields in the game. It would have low hp (probably 50 or 75 health) and once broken would activate the critical hit box. This helps with spam damage and snipers specifically. The regen would be considerable enough that the shield would return only after a decent amount of time so that there is reward for breaking the shield.

• Micro Missiles Overhaul / Rework

Micromissiles are outdated, lackluster, and to be perfectly honest, boring.
There’s so much more that could be done with them and are no doubt in my mind the one part of her kit that needs changes the most. They’re inconsistent, on a long cooldown, and do self damage. The way they currently work requires you to use them at as close of a range as possible to get them to land so as to not completely waste the cooldown. They don’t line up with her primary fire which is hitscan while they’re rather slow projectiles.

Completely change the ability entirely. Change the start up, fire rate, travel speed, damage, hitbox of both the missile and explosion, add tracking with a lock on, add a slow effect on enemies hit, something. There’s so many possibilities here it’s endless. All of it would help her tremendously in longer range engagements where she does so poorly. For any destiny players, how much cooler would it be if they functioned like Eyes of Tomorrow? Just something to think about.

• Add a new ability “Bunny Hop”

This would be a fourth ability to her kit that functions nearly exactly as baptiste’s jump does. Since Dva’s mech can’t crouch, an ability that simply gives a quick jump of vertical movement would be great. Activating bunny hop would see her mech quickly boost upwards and would give an option to reach high ground without having to use boosters themselves. Would also be a great option for strafing and avoiding damage.

Anyway there’s my mad Dva ramblings for now.

Any other ideas for changes to her kit would be great to hear.

12 Likes

Copying this from that other thread just so it’s here too:

I was thinking it would be cool if for every X points of damage eaten with DM, the next use of missiles gained a bonus missile.

So for instance, the baseline is 18 missiles currently, and let’s say you get another one for every 50 points of damage eaten. If you eat 300 damage, the next micro missile usage will now fire 24, raising its damage capacity from 126 to 168. Just one possibility.

I wouldn’t mind a lower CD for boosters and increased flying speed too. Her movement ability is slow as hell compared to all the other dive tanks.

Another possibility is that boosters, DM and missiles are all metered and share a single meter, but they continue to consume it at different rates for easier tuning. So you can use her mobility more frequently when you need it to dive and get out. Or if you’re holding the frontline and don’t need mobility as much, you can spend more resources on DM and missiles instead. That idea might be a little too radical though.

2 Likes

Yeah I agree with some of these.

I know that Eating an ultimate is a reward, but it would be nice if we got a reward also. Like you said, faster gun shooting. At this point, Overwatch rewards… doing something good, and yet older heroes or character don’t receive one at all.

Booster’s is honestly fine, I just want my 25 damage back.

The Windshield thing, or whatever it can be called xd, should be a secondary passive called “Bullet-Proof”, which is something I have been talking about for a long time on here.

2 Likes

Feel free to use some of these

[OW2] Balance Design Blueprint

1 Like

That continues to be a flex post of serious forums skills lol.

I thought about how Trippy this would look in 1st person… :face_holding_back_tears: so I think it should be 3rd person like Orisa’s ultimate.

I want a “have impact on the game-inator”

3 Likes

The only impact your getting is giving the enemy ultimate charge :tired_face: :skull:

3 Likes

Not even that since they reduced the ult gain from tanks

You can’t even feed right

"But D.Va can’t die ??? ???

her passive is completely broken a second life shouldn’t get rewarded ! ":face_with_symbols_over_mouth: :rage:

has 30 minutes played with D.Va in Total

People need to realize that Pilot form is D.Va’s sustain, except your not getting any sustain.

3 Likes

It would be a shame if there were people who thought that

People need to realize Baby D.Va is a glorified respawn timer a majority of the time. I mean, how often do you actually get a kill when demeched?

4 Likes

That doesn’t matter, the point is Baby D.Va has goated voicelines when you do get a kill in Overwatch 2.

“Don’t call me baby” is a automatic pass. That voiceline is a BUFF. :brain: :zap:

4 Likes

I quickly learned the best routes for instant death through gravity on the new maps when de meched though so that’s good :+1: :blush:

3 Likes

:skull: :skull:

We need a break, i can’t do this anymore

1 Like

The DM in OW2 was fine. It actually did a bit in terms of making D.Va a solo tank. I liked how DM felt as a kind of shield.

That sounds kinda like nothing to. At least make her fire her rockets with primary fire after a “boost” like that for, I dunno, 6-8 shots.

Someone played Heroes of the Storm.

Actually, the thing that should be addressed the most is baby D.Va. It’s already been pointed out, but she kinda shouldn’t even have that as a solo tank. It’s fun little mechanic in a 6v6, but now she’s got a job of being the actual tank moe than ever before and it doesn’t help when she turns into a worse Tracer all of a sudden. I would almost prefer getting rid of that form altogether, but we know that won’t happen, so should probably do some changes there. Look into Heroes of the Storm and pillage some of stuff she’s got there like a dash or 3-4 shots in succession or make her summon the mech automatically when she gets the ult charge (so no running around looking for a stomp).

People should also realize that Dva’s second life isn’t a second life. You didn’t kill her yet. She still has 150 health left.

Like, you don’t bring Reinhardt down to 100 HP and come onto the forums and go “why didn’t rein die??” That would be ridiculous right? Because he still has 100 hp left. So why do it for Dva?

a 100hp rein can still shatter, and charge, and block with shield. a baby dva does very little

4 Likes

as a longtime D.Va main I really like the idea of resource meter boosters, since a lot of the time I use it for a second to quickly reposition. With this change, your bunny hop idea probably wouldn’t be necessary tbh.

As for the crit hitbox, I think they should move it from the windshield to the little circle thing on top of her mech (the part that broke off when they started overloading the reactor in her animated short). And yeah I really like 300/300 armor in ow1 and I don’t see any issue with it.

1 Like

I really like the DM change and critbox change. I don’t like the booster change though.

1 Like