Idea: Random procc of crits for all melée attacks

i just played some other games for a while and noticed that crits even if they are random are a great way to spice things up especially for a melée character.

i know it’s weird and might not fit into this game but i think it would be a fun mechanic to have, to balance it out maybe have random miss chance or glancing blows or something maybe if needed.

so what do you guys think?

Random crits is one of my last favourite features in Team Fortress 2 (a game I have 2000 hours in). Finding a ‘no crit’ server was always amazing, since it meant I wouldn’t get randomly one-shot by a lucky melee-er.

Even though Overwatch has less damage on melee attacks, and only 2x crit multiplier, I wouldn’t like to see random crits in it.

8 Likes

It would make tracer and winston extremely OP :]

4 Likes

when i say crit i mean a crit for an attack that normally is 30 - 75 dmg, and the chance is around 5-15% you’d have to hit a lot for a crit to come out.

how would it make tracer op? sure she hits at the end of her bursts to ensure the kill but this is a thing she allready does, it doesn’t change much maybe get an extra kill in maybe 1000 potential chances, winston well he is not know for making high burst damage anyways, and letting him have a crit once or twice in a fight could be fun especially in primal rage.

i’m actually thinking the characters that will benefit the most out of this is brig and rein since they are all melée and aoe attacks.

and i also mentioned the con possibility to add to balance the crit randomness out in favor of positive chances with a complete miss chance or something of that nature.
so sometimes you’d get a small window of not getting hit by a melée attack, like for example that tracer would have a chance to miss that possible end of attack melée.

listen i’m just entertaining an idea and sometimes you have to entertain a silly idea to come up with something magical.

Rng in a competitive game isn’t good.

Instead make so that headshotting with ana’s sleep dart deletes the player from the game /s

3 Likes

true, but random crits aren’t the magic thing we want

1 Like

OK! Mr. competitive. i have seen a lot of games with RNG ok. every live sport game is an RNG event. a lot of competitive video games have RNG in them.
even every shotgun in this game is RNG based.

i don’t think it breaks anything, just gives that 1 in a 1000 that you accomplish something random that you wouldn’t have pulled off otherwise if you didn’t take a chance.

also can we throw ana into the garbage bin yet, what’s the point of having a healer that stops enemy healers from healing. that’s like having a tank that stops other tanks from tanking… oh wait…

yeah i know, what we really need is to not have solo ranked matches at all.
but devs are too scared that it would kill the game.
and rightfully so because most players in ranked are highly casual players that belong in quickplay.

Girl… rng is literally one of the worst things you could add to a game

6 Likes

well it’s too late when there’s allready RNG in it tbh. sombras and tracers
bullet spray to name an example.
and by that measurement a 5-15% chance of critting with a melée is not much of a RNG thing in comparison as every bullet they fire is RNG based.

and rightfully so because most players in ranked are highly casual players that belong in quickplay.

Coming from a highly competitive lvl 800+ gold player…

lol i don’t play ranked because it’s garbage and we all know it and i’ve stated why it’s garbage in one of the other replies. good call though.

you like RNG in teammates but don’t like RNG… ok.

i’m saying i want a slight RNG for melée hits as a casual fan because overwatch is casual. get over yourself with your silly thought of calling me out as a gold ranked player, i don’t even play the game mode, check my hours in it.

i’ve played against and with pro teams in other games in practice matches, RNG is a number that you can factor in and limitate how it will effect events.

but sure pull up a meaningless number that don’t mean anything to the conversation and think you got a clue about anything.

just imagine my rank if i actually spent those levels in ranked LOL you’d think i’d still be gold? :slight_smile:

No, people hate this in TF2, it would not work in OW.

1 Like

how is it implemented in TF2? is it instagibb crits?

Then ur opinion is meaningless, since the game is balanced for competitive play

You’re the person who came up with how “most players in ranked are highly casual players that belong in quickplay”. You think you are in a place to categorize other players in your ranked games?

Empty words that carry even less weight than your arguments for random crits.

RNG on crits is the dumbest idea I’ve heard like ever. Not to mention that if there’s anything that this game suffers from in terms of consistency with regs it’s melee. Some characters are worse than others (we can all look at doomfist here) but how Rein, Tracer and so on you can miss really weirdly and get hits in that are so weird you don’t even notice it at first.

Now even though there’s some minor flaws here and there with regs and the general feel of certain heroes swinging their fists or weapons in the air one thing is very consistent and good. The damage output. You can see the HP of the hero (if you’ve done some damage on it which is very likely) and from there do a calculated decision if a melee attack is viable or not, if it will kill or help you kill the target faster than other routes like escaping or reloading.

So RNG is just a very frustrating concept to have in any type of competitive game. Not only being killed by it due to the enemy getting in a lucky rng crit but it would be even more frustrating having to rely on trying to get kills with RNG crits as more then often it wouldn’t work instead of knowing when you can strike and with certainty get a kill.

Then why post in the competitive forum?

so 6 randoms is a team to you? how is that even competitive to begin with?
that’s why i categorize solo rank players as casuals.

pretty sure this is general, oh. wrong forum… nvm… let me just delete this.

edit: i can’t delete the topic? well, let the poop storm continue

Consistency is what allows people to make smart decisions.

For example,
Rein goes in with Nano and happens that every swing crits. He clears the point solo no problem by just 1-2 shotting everyone. He now begins to play this way all the time because hey, Rein is so OP.

Rein goes in with Nano and nothing crits, the enemy team is able to still recover because now they require 2-4 hits and have enough time to reposition.

Rein goes in with Nano and crits occur at 15% chance. Every swing is RNG. One swing kills a Lucio but he’s still swinging at Lucio because he’s not sure so it takes him a moment to realign to next target. Next swing doesn’t one shot a Tracer but you thought it was going to so now you looked away and have to re-look back at Tracer wasting some critical time.

When it all comes down to it, you want to know exactly what your TTK is. The more you become unsure, the less enjoyable it becomes for competitive levels of play. In casual play, it can be a fun LOL moment.

you can manipulate RNG by example putting the RNG on cooldown, as soon as you procc you can’t crit for another 5 seconds.

you can pull it back if you implement it cleverly, you could as i stated put in miss-chance that would give the same amount of chance of missing, it’s just another way of balancing it.

but still i don’t consider the game to be competitive wether it be in ranked or quickplay due to people solo ranking, the only true competitive people that plays the game plays in 6 stacks and on teams on the regular.

that’s why i abhor the GM top 500 rule that not more than 2 can play together.

teams should beat teams, not the individual.
people shouldn’t have to get thrown into a random match and where they are exposed to randomness from strangers.

most players that have tried this can vouche for this that playing in a 6 stack with people you know and play with on the regular is much more fun and much more competitive than solo ranking.

I’m not talking about the frequency of how often it happens. I’m talking about the fact that it even happens in the first place.

When you are faced with an issue, you want to be able to assess the issue then come up with the solution. For example, you know exactly how much damage you can take as Tracer/Sombra/Winston given the other heroes composition.

Let’s now totally eliminate that consistency by giving you a 15% chance that you’ll die in half the time. So now not only are you fighting the “I HIT (insert ability here)” but you’ll also be unable to do your character’s JOB because of introduced RNG.

Like this concept of yours is cool for a workshop, but random damage is the worst thing you can put in for a serious pvp.