Idea for a mission for OW2 that could introduce a Psionic character to the roster

I’ve been wanting to get a Psi character added to the roster for a while, and OW2 gives me an idea for how this character could be introduced as a newbie to Overwatch.

In Canada, Overwatch learns that an entire town of people has somehow lost consciousness all at once, all except for the local Omnics and one girl named Caitlyn. Sojourn reveals that she knows this girl, and that she is a potent psionic (a trait that only appears in about 1 in every 500,000,000 people). Sojourn had been keeping tabs on her, so she contacts Caitlyn and learns the girl had released an uncontrolled psionic shockwave during a moment of intense stress. Sojourn suggests that Overwatch go and retrieve Caitlyn, as she could be a danger to others if her powers go rampant. Unfortunately, as Overwatch is flying to her, Caitlyn sees several Talon dropships flying overhead toward her town. Realizing that Talon is aware of Caitlyn’s existence and that they want to turn Caitlyn into a living weapon like Widowmaker, Sojourn tells Caitlyn to find a place to hide until Overwatch can get to her.

When Overwatch arrives at the town, their transport is hit by a Talon thug wielding what would basically be an M92 Stinger equivalent, causing their dropship to crash land. Overwatch blasts their way out of the crash site and engages Talon’s forces while doing whatever is needed to avoid civilian casualties. During the battle, Sojourn keeps contact with Caitlyn to try and keep her calm, as she doesn’t want Caitlyn releasing another psionic wave during a battle. But during the fighting, Talon is able to tap their communication (Sojourn was expecting this, but didn’t think it would happen so soon), and they use this to locate Caitlyn. Overwatch rushes to Caitlyn’s hiding place and arrive just in time.

Caitlyn is caught in a crossfire between Overwatch and Talon, and the stress causes her to nearly release an even more powerful psionic wave, one that could end up killing everyone around her. Sojourn is forced to shoot Caitlyn with a tranquilizer to knock her out. The remaining Talon forces are arrested, having been incapacitated by Caitlyn’s Psi wave. Caitlyn then goes with Overwatch for protection, while Winston and Mercy try to come up with a way for Caitlyn to control her powers.

Later on, after Winston and Mercy successfully develop technology that allows Caitlyn to better control her powers, she offers to join Overwatch. Cue a combat training montage ala Symphogear. :stuck_out_tongue:

Having her join after the mission as a total newbie would help keep her from being overpowered, both in-game and in-universe.

2 Likes

:thinking:

Just like Dr. Stone, Overwatch needs one requirement…
Where is science explanation in this psionic thing?
It cannot be with birthday if it isn’t robot.
It has to be made by science in accident or deliberately.
It’s science fiction, not fantasy fiction.
Your hero story doesn’t match up with Overwatch universe cause Caitlyn’s abnormal ilness is since her birthday.

2 Likes

Genji’s and Hanzo’s dragons are supposed to have a “scientific explanation” despite never being explained in any way at all so it wouldn’t bee too out there.

2 Likes

Congratulations.
You put argument aganist yourself.
Shimadas’ dragons aren’t real dragons cause Overwatch world is science fiction. Shimadas’ dragons are science fiction but we don’t know what kind of. Since Hanzo says the only Shimadas can summon dragons, and we see Shimadas’ bodies aren’t mechanised outside, the best explanation is their bodies inside e.g. nanobots in their blood.

And by the way I have great science fiction explanation for Caitlyn’s abilities. In its regard her story will have to be modified at the start.

It would be a birth thing, and people with ESP have been observed as an extreme rarity.

Besides, how do you scientifically explain the Shimada dragons? Nanomachines doesn’t sound like the right answer.

They could be similar to the hard light projections Symmetra and Vishkar uses, somehow keyed to the Shimada family’s DNA, or maybe it’s just a family secret and Hanzo is being dramatic.

2 Likes

I don’t think psionic abilities would be too outlandish in a game that also has a talking gorilla!!!

I would love a PSI hero!! Would sure bring back those memories of playing Earthbound… :stuck_out_tongue:

2 Likes

Sounds like a bad Jean Grey knockoff.

1 Like

Let me introduce you my version.
Jagoda had happy family. As teenager she was going to the primary school in Uszyce. While she was leaving the school, the school exploded by Talon’s bombs leaving her with not working ears. When she woke up, she didn’t know what witnesses were talking to her. While she was trying to live without hearing, her parents had discussion. Her mom didn’t work enough money for all family while her dad did and wanted to sacrifice all his money to bring her daughter back hearing the world. So he did it and Jagoda underwent surgery which gave her prototype of new generation of hearing aids. Jagoda could finally hear world so in thanksgiving for his sacrifice shortly after her 18 birthday she started to work out family. On day of the fall of Overwatch Jagoda lost his father by his heart attack. The fall of Overwatch was too much for him. He and his daughter knew someone outside of Overwatch was behind it.

And Jagoda wanted to prove it to blind society. So she and her Grześ went to the destroyed school. In ruins Grześ found fragment of Talon uniform with red T but he didn’t know what it mean. Jagoda informed him it means that Talon blowed up the school. They tried to do more in this topic but nothing went further so they gave up and came back to their apartment. Unfortunately their neighbour has big renovation so Grześ used earplugs and Jagoda turned off her hearing aids.

In the same evening when finally there was quiet someone knocked to their door. Cause Jagoda was busy she asked Grześ to open the door. Grześ opened the door and welcomed shooting shotgun to him. Grześ lost consciousness. On the other side of the room Jagoda heard the shot and started to scream in fear and sadness. Her scream cracked her hearing aids by which they started to emit high sound which made the Talon troopers lose consciousness. Soon after them Jagoda lost it too.

When she woke up she met Tracer’s eyes telling her everything is alright. Behind her she saw Mercy healing her boyfriend and no Talon. Jagoda smiled and slept because of being tired.
Then there’s psionic technology thing made by Mercy for her but I don’t have time now so I will finish it later. Have good night
Jagoda means berry, it’s female Polish name
Uszyce means ears, it’s Polish village.

This isn’t the place for fanfiction.

3 Likes

This. We’ve got a talking gorilla, a hamster that can build and pilot a battle robot, an astrophysicist who can manipulate gravity, a Brit who can manipulate her own time, etc. Psionic powers wouldn’t feel out of place here.

1 Like

These things have all been explained. If they explained psionics as a thing that exists, sure fine - but so far they haven’t. Overwatch is based on the real world, and everything we’ve had so far has had an explanation.

They can explain it as an extremely rare genetic trait that isn’t thoroughly understood by scientists in the OW universe due to a lack of sufficient study and a very small number of research subjects (that doesn’t stop scientists from trying).

3 Likes

Y’all really don’t like fun huh :sneezing_face:

2 Likes

I like canon. I don’t care about fun.

1 Like

The main post is about creating new hero to the heroes’ roster…
Whatever you say the main post and my post are fanfictions. And there’s no way you can deny it. No way.

I made my post as alternative version of the main post’s idea about psionic abilities hero.

Yes but like in the end of the day we’re talking about a fictional universe in a video game… I mean is it really that serious :skull:

2 Likes

PLEASE NOTE: This forum is not for Fan-Made fiction.

Overwatch already has Sigma for a hero who appears to be psionic through his ability to harness gravity.

They appear to behave and look extremely similar to Symmetra’s orbs that she created from hard light energies. Comparing the orbs behaviors in the comic A Better World to Hanzo’s Dragonstrike in the short Dragons shows them in a similar light. Additionally, while it is gameplay which is not a reliable source, Symmetra’s orbs and Hanzo’s dragons were both capable of phasing through players and walls (Granted, Rein’s firestrike is not hard light energy and it can do it too. Likewise, Hanzo’s dragons also went through walls, but the similarity here is interesting)

They have heroes with modified genetics already. The key word is modified. Its not a birthright. There haven’t been any X-Men-esque mutants in Overwatch.

2 Likes

This forum is not for Fan-Made fictions.
Well, I am aware of it. The main post just made me really want to post alternative version here. My bad bad.