I wonder if OW2 will get sad

So, the PVE in OW2 is planned to have a lot more lore. Looking at the lore we’ve had, the content ranges pretty broadly, from revenge stories to ptsd to political plots.

But I wonder how much the in-game lore will explore sadder themes. We already have cinematics like Bastion and Mei.

I know that games are an escape for people, and many don’t want to feel bad when playing them, but I’ve noticed that sad stories are really absent in a lot of games. Tragedy is dirt common, but there have only been a few games that made me cry.

I wonder if OW2 is considering a portion of their narrative to go down an emotional path. Especially considering PvE has an opportunity to slow things down, and isn’t limited to fast-paced action.

Or are they going to go the safe route and make action party. Probably the latter – they want their game to be fun after all.

Anyways, sorry for the ramble.

Would you guys like to see a side-story take itself in that sort of direction?

2 Likes

For the main campaign, i believe so.
But for expansions or an animated series? They might explore the sad parts of Overwatch’s universe.
There are many stories in this universe that can be actually really sad.
Reyes losing his family because of Overwatch, more specifically because of what Morisson does in the end?
How the Toblestins got their technology and it’s effect on Sigma/De Kuiper’s research?
What Liao’s memento could possibly turn to?
How pressured Hammond might be in Junkertown?
How omnics got their sentience and it’s possible effect on the world?
Why Reinhardt was forced to retire?
Why Reyes “hired” Moira?
How omnics got their sentience and it’s possible effect on the world?
And many many more, possibly even bigger twists.
Any character development for Gerard La Croix or Harold Winston could make their story even more sad.
Also i get the feeling of some characters might be betraying the new Overwatch in the story going forward.
What do you think?

Honestly I was thinking the exact opposite. I can’t remember the last game I played that had no drama or dramatic elements.

100% yes. No doubt in my mind that’s what they are aiming for.

It’s gonna be a combination of the 2. They are not gonna tear-jerk you until the end of the mission.

I like sad and tragic stories personally. I like bubbly joke stories too. Imho Blizzard shouldn’t commit to one or the other but do whatever feels right for each character and mission. Make it diverse and all.

1 Like

I want a hero death.
Any.

I’m pretty sure Jeff mentioned that they’re not opposed to the concept of hero deaths. I remember the forums all assuming Torb would get the axe in that scenario.

However, I think Jeff mentioned the death coming “soon” - 2018, and we never really saw that happen. So :man_shrugging:

Jeff didn’t say that a death would happen, only that one could happen. They don’t have any plans to kill off any heroes.

2 Likes

the death, however “realistic” in the war narrative of so many characters, is also a very dangerous trick to manage adequately over the years. probably in OW we would accept it because there is a need for evolution in a literally stopped story from Recall to Zero Hour (contemporary lore speaking). but going on? Overwatch could have a certain “narrative end” like StarCraft 2, and maybe then the franchise will have to draw conclusions: who is officially alive? who died? it will all depend on the kind of continuity Blizzard gives the franchise, and it is absolutely unlikely that it will have a longevity comparable to WoW. and let’s clarify this: WoW’s concept of total death is extremely poorly managed by the constant revival of certain characters who had declared themselves dead, with or without plausibility of the lore. Ow may have these kinds of problems in the long run if he’s not sure about a character’s death. because the latter could also have a certain “abuse” to justify an unlikely return (as we have amply seen in the “retcon” of the name McCree / Cassidy).

1 Like

I hope Orisa dies first

I personally hope it is kept up beat. A little tragedy is fine. But I always viewed Overwatch as my fun, lighthearted universe to escape to.

2 Likes

Nah Bastion’s gonna die protecting Reinhardt or something. I can feel it.

2 Likes