I was ranked way higher than I deserve in open queue seasons 1 and 2

So ever since the new ‘competitive open queue’ became a thing, I’ve noticed it places me way higher than what my normal SR is.

When I started playing the game about four years ago (dang, four years…) I was ranked gold. As I’ve learned the complexities of the game and specialized in certain heroes, I’ve been able to climb to low diamond pretty consistently now. That’s honestly where I think my skill level is at.

Once I tried out the placement games in open queue, I could instantly feel a higher level of intensity in the gameplay. The term ‘sweaty’ is how I would describe it best. Lo and behold, I was placed in high masters. At first I was like “Sweet! I guess I’m better than I thought” but pretty quickly I realized how wrong the placement was. I was in a way higher elo than I should’ve been, and that honestly just sucks, for everyone.

I haven’t tried any placements for season 3 yet. I don’t enjoy the stress and the pressure to perform at a high level when I clearly don’t belong there.

1 Like

Pretty common experience from what I’ve seen, the mode is a mess.

6 Likes

Yea pretty much everyone is getting an SR boost over there.

4 Likes

LOL its chaos and there’s no SR right now. It will take months to sort out if it stays.

3 Likes

Unlucky. I had people quit three of my games and lost 4 due to normal reasons so I got the other end of the stick where I got placed mid gold when I’m normally a diamond to masters player

1 Like

“YOu ArE At DA RaNK YOu BeLOnG” right?

2 Likes

Play more games and you will be placed in your correct rank.

1 Like

Weird I was in platinum at the time I placed in silver in open queue. I was trying to learn how to play Widowmaker and Doomfist, so I thought a fresh start using open queue would be a good and fair idea.

Imo it’s because it is effectively an Mmr reset

1 Like

That’s it - they don’t seem to be basing it off of your existing MMR/SR.

It’ll be a while before OQ stabilizes and there’s enough data from each player to place everyone properly.

I placed 300 SR above my career high in OQ season one, then placed 100 SR higher than that in season 2, hitting Masters. I think it will take a while to balance out where we belong

See, if this is really the case, as in Open Queue [or as i had always called it, Classic Competitive (Mode)] having a MMR reset; then all the SR / MMR pundits / theorists who had been asking for a reset so that they can be at their “true rank” should be rejoicing and making a bee line to OQ, aye?

P.S. i am just thinking out loud and not addressing any one in particular.

1 Like

Wut. My friend won 8 placement games but still got placed in gold. The same rank as season 2 of open queue.

I also got gold in open queue. And i am a gold player in role queue.

Weird, I got placed lower.

Yeah first placements are extremely inaccurate.

I got placed in plat despite being GM in role queue

I would imagine they adjusted it to account for its random and chaotic nature.

Ranks are inflated in OQ due to lower population.

Well when you play loads of games… yes.

1 Like

Yea, but i dont want to feed in 50 games straight until i drop where i belong.