I want to get better at sniping

It’s one of those things I am just not good at but I want to improve, especially with Widow Maker and Ana.

4 Likes

Lower your sensitivity and aim train.

Personally I recommend Kovaaks. I liked it more than aimlabs.

You can also play CSGO and Valorant if you want to be better at Widowmaker as the skills transfer.

Edit: Also set Ana and Widows “relative scoped sensitivity” to 37.89 for 1 to 1 ratio.

4 Likes

I’m on console. PS4 specifically.

3 Likes

Uh…. Shizzle…. You’ll have to consult a console player :sweat_smile:

Sorry dude :frowning:

2 Likes

I’m not a great Widowmaker myself but, as a great player and coach ( :wink:) once said to me, there are two key concepts in Widow gameplay that don’t depend on raw aim and can give you a huge advantage during a match: crosshair placement and positioning.

Crosshair placement is, put it simply, where you place (xD) your crosshair in preparation for a shot: putting it in the right place will help you reduce your aim movement to the minimum possible, increasing accuracy and the chances of hitting your target.
Let’s consider this example: you’re looking at a giant wall from a certain distance, the wall covers the right half of your view. You know targets can come only from behind that wall, so they will move from right to left and become visible once they pass the end of the wall in the center of the view. Your objective is to hit an headshot on them as quickly as possible after they become visible. In this case the most efficient crosshair placement would be at head level (so at the height from the ground where their heads will be) and slightly at the left of the end of the wall (to compensate for your reaction time).
If you get this right enough you’ll be able to headshot the targets without even moving your crosshair from its position.
So, summarizing, you want to put your crosshair where you think the head of your target will be: this is the best way to get those “I cannot even exit a door without getting one-shotted” type of shots.

As Rhain said, games like CS:GO or Valorant are extremely dependent on crosshair placement: since mobiliy is limited and time-to-kill is very short, you want to kill your opponent as fast as possible as soon as you turn a certain corner.

Since on console your aim is quite limited by the input device you have to use (the controller T_T), crosshair placement becomes even more important.

Positioning is a whole other topic, which is far difficult for me to go through since I’m basically still a noob. xD
If I had to summarize it in a very simplistic way, I’d say that positioning is about to get in the position that gives you the greatest advantage on your opponents. This depends a lot on what heroes you’re playing against, on the map, on the positions of the two team members, etc. So it’s a quite broad topic that, as I said, I’m not experienced enough to talk about.

I leave you a guide from Kajor that I found extremely helpful, concise and well made:
h ttps://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4LO9xjzYyCA

Rhain please correct me if there’s something wrong or missing. :sweat_smile:

3 Likes

Saw your comment below that youre on PS4. Sorry no real advice for you in that case.

But for PC, the most crucial part is to find sensitivity at which you can move your crosshair accurately and smoothly without any abrupt movements (Find your fitting sensitivity basically). Then there are some basic sniping techniques, but those irrelevant compared to the right sensitivity

If you open OW Pro’s settings list, youll find that those are a bit… different. Settings of one player hardly will fit other player, so that you must find yourself.

1 Like

the time you must put into developing those skills is not worth it.
and you will not have ANY aim assist in cross-platform.
fps for consoles is just a market placement to sell more games.
never intended to be played like this

1 Like

I’ve seen some great console players though. To say the game is not made consoles is asinine.

5 Likes

There are fps that work just fine on console, Overwatch is not one of them.

But Destiny and R6 Seige works really well.

I think the problem with Overwatch is the speed of the heroes movement combined with the most asinine aim settings imaginable for a console game.

3 Likes

I have some buddies who play Apex on console and I also have a controller only account for PC overwatch (I use it to play with low rated crossplay buddies, it’s the only way to get fair matchmaking across the board) and this is what I’ve picked up on:

Aiming with your movement instead of trying to flick can help on certain situations, but it’s usually not so black and white and you usually gotta do a bit of both, but if you are only doing one it’s worth trying the other for a bit

Crosshair placement mattered a lot especially considering I got no aim assist on PC. I have a mean controller Hanzo because I already have really good movement and crosshair placement on kb+m so it carried over. I can only imagine widow would benefit from this a lot

Timing and choosing the right target (and moment to shoot) is often more important than how good you actually are at aiming. People in OW are fast and move erratically, it pays to look for someone who is standing still or is moving in a straight line even if you gotta wait a second or 2 longer

The highest sens you can comfortably control is the best for hitting flicks on controller in my experience but this is also something I’ve heard others say in passing

Something that even comes back to aiming on kb+m - hitting shots isn’t so much about stopping your crosshair on their head, it’s about shooting as your crosshair passes over their head. You don’t need to perfectly flick onto a head, you simply need to pass over it and shoot at the right time (What to think about when Aiming | Surefour Tutorials - YouTube - skip to 12:00)

2 Likes

You could also find some good aim training workshops. PMAJellies has some good workshops pertaining to these. Sink about 30-45 mins warming up.

Hitbox are different, too much vertical mobility and yet the game speeed itself make the heroes we play Very different to play in rank.

• shields, dmg mitigation and overhealing make time to very short
1 Like

point then shoot, best advice i can give you, although point at the enemy, not the space around them.

2 Likes

What would be the equivalent for Ashe?

1 Like

51,47 for Ashe ADS sens

2 Likes

I use 51.5. The difference is likely negligible.

2 Likes

I’ve heard that on ps4 or xbox putting your sensitivity on high helps but then again I’m not sure but it’s worth a shot gl to you

If you don’t play in a group, prepare to be reported and trash talked every match.

Stop spreading false statements

1 Like

I just got out of a match. Physically and literally 1 minute ago and the enemy team dogged their widowmaker but she was actually getting kills. You’re full of it if to think this doesn’t happen.

You probably think racism doesn’t happen also