I think people got upset about Soldier's announcement because it seems forced

Not true.

They changed her victory pose 'cause they didn’t want to sexualize her too much (because of the PEGI 12 restriction).

We don’t know who complained about this but I don’t think it’s the SJWs… even less the lesbian community (some of them even liked her sexy side back then).

I think the backlash might have come from parents in their 30’s or more, not wanting their kids to play a game where the main character looks provocative (even though this term is subjective). I liked both versions of Tracer, plus other characters have tight trousers (Widow, Genji etc…) !

Tracer being less sexualized is a non-issue, in the end.

3 Likes

It’s a game with ongoing development. All of the characters have changed from launch. Soldier being confirmed as gay a few years out is in the same vain as Lucio’s tech being confirmed to be his father’s a few years out.

2 Likes

This topic died down yet you bring it back. Nice instigating

I’m sorry I can’t post quickly enough for you?

What?

You said the topic died and that I brought it up again. o3o

Not you, Im saying the OP brought a pretty controversial subject back that instigated alot of negativity.

1 Like

Pretty sure you can’t have a calm discussion about this.
I 100% agree with you here.

I feel it was forced as well. I also felt the Tracer reveal was forced as well. But, then again, I don’t think anyone expected really good character backgrounds and history when they think about this game. Is it a big deal? No. Still, it’s just a weird thing to reveal and now of all times. Not when the character first came out?

I’m sorry but how does Doomfist fit into being gay?

This is why your argument has made people angry.

People that say things like this aren’t aggressively homophobic and I don’t believe them to actually mean any harm, but you still attach a stereotype to gays and it’s still a problem.

It seems more appropriate to discuss it now after it’s been a bit rather than bring it up the second it happened.

I’m sorry if the topic bothers you - as I said in my original post, I was looking for calm discussion on the subject. You are free to ignore posts that you don’t feel deserve any discussion on the forum.

Stereotypes exist for a reason.

1 Like

Don’t forget to add Ashe and Mcree to the straight list, or at least their bi at a minimum.

They said 4 years ago that multiple heroes are gay and that they would reveal which ones through stories when it felt right. This means probably at least one more of the base heroes (other than Tracer/Soldier) are gay.

I think people that get upset about Soldier being gay because “he doesn’t seem gay”… haven’t met enough gay people.

There are “All-American GI-Joes who wear sandals with socks” men who are gay. All over. Everywhere.

I don’t know why people think there isn’t.

They’re not your characters. They’re not a representation of you. Him being gay isn’t an insult to anyone who plays him and isn’t gay. There is no connection. There’s no reason to be offended by it or even think about it twice if you don’t like the idea of it. The man who created the heroes decided their backstory. The same argument of “Why are they giving in to the sjws!!!” can be used either way. Why should they make him straight because you wanted him to be straight? Why do your feelings about it matter more than anyone elses?

If it really affects your emotions for some reason, you can pretend you never read it and imagine he has a wife and kids.

1 Like

Mainly to demean and dehumanize, but go off.

2 Likes

The reason is that people are too lazy to get to know strangers for the real, complex human beings that they are. Stereotyping allows people to come to snap judgements about what to expect from a given person, given obvious features of their appearance or voice.

It’s a useful technique - to a point. Stereotypes suggest that older men and women take longer to walk from Point A to Point B - and this is accurate. Asthmatics generally don’t smoke and white people should generally be wearing suncream if they want to go out on the beach. Live according to those stereotypes and you’ll save yourself some effort and probably come to no harm. However, stereotypes like “black people can’t swim” are offensive and wrong and are perpetuated just as easily (in this case, black people being banned from using white communities’ swimming pools meant they didn’t have the chance to learn).

Long and short: don’t be lazy. Treat people as they are, not according to stereotypes.

1 Like

Nope just writers of this generation running out of creative ideas that’s all and it always have to be relevant to some politic movement.

This is America right now or have evolved to in the wrong direction because too much distractions which makes us vulnerable so that the true enemy creeps in.

1 Like

It was because of the timing.

Blizzard just got done with the Diablo Immortal, Ellie, and Heroes of the Storm controversies/anger so people took it as a “but see, we’re progressive! Ignore all that!”

It advanced the story, so that’s cool. But a lot of people didn’t like the timing.

Kinda glad it was Soldier tbh, it has opened up dialog about people still stereotyping gay and straight people.
Soildier has the personality of someone who’s spent most of their life working in the military, or Overwatch in this case, and he’s gotten old, jagged and mad at the world that wronged him.
I’ve not seen this point being brought up before so I’ll ask: according to you, would it fit better if a gay man that has been through everything Soldier has been through looked any different or acted differently? And if so why?