I suck at DPS no getting around it

I can never climb as DPS, this has been true for me since the dawn of time. I’ve never ever played FPS games before and only play OW because it was like a combination of fps and league of legends. I’ve never been good mechanically or at aiming things. Im a billion times better at support and tank than I am at DPS, but the thing is that I want to be good at DPS.

Im tired of playing Tank/Support a role that I’ve nearly hit Diamond twice with on my original account. My DPS has always been well…Silver(Yeah really bad). I’ve actually been playing ONLY DPS for the past 6 months and can’t seem to get any better.

So…It is what it is I guess. I’m just a Tank/Support Player… Idk why Im posting this but I just wanted other people to feel my pain lol.

1 Like

Good thing there are 3 mmr rankings. You can enjoy all the roles. Everyone sucks at something. No need to feel like a hoover. Just have fun with the characters you like… unless its doomfist or mei

2 Likes

I can relate… I’m horrible at DPS. The only role I’m remotely good at is Support. My aim is only good once in a blue moon.

5 Likes

If you are decent with tanks and Supports you can be decent with DPS as well. You know the basics already.

The thing is just that you have to play the game a little different.

For example a Tank and Supports main Job is to enable their team while a DPS like widowmaker/McCree and others are there to use the ressources and Space your Supports and Tanks give you.

If you have trouble with that have you tried a utility DPS like Mei or Sombra for example whose job isn’t to get kills but again to enable their teammates in a more similar manner than a Tank or Support?

if you continue to improve your tank and support skills, you will probably get better at dps in the process. For me, it just became second nature to aim well once I started playing very well with support/tank. if you want doomfist practice I suggest playing blood moon rising with doomfist. for some reason that challenge mission just fits doomfist perfectly. the replay system is also a pretty fine way of showing you how other players play dps heroes. you could learn a thing or two from them by watching them through the replay system, especially once you get into the higher ranks with your support and tank elo.

Go Mei and play her like a tank.

And since you know how both Tanks and Supports work, you should know how to break them up and who to focus on.

Doesn’t take much in the way of aiming to do this, and you can get away with Icewall placements being the same as Orisa barriers.

1 Like

SAME, if I kill something I get a tad startled. Like oops, I just killed a man. . . uuhhhhh.

As for DPS, you could start with the simpler characters. Mei if you can get freeze off means you have a still target to work with to headshot. Sym is all about tracking unless you use her secondary. Junkrat is projectile based if you prefer arcing shots.

It might be easier to make a recommendation based on your Support / Tank Main honestly.
BTW, you can use Blood Moon to get the general feel of the DPS roster. It might not be perfect given how many target dummies you will have compared to 6 enemies, probably a shield / tank but it’s a start.

I’m a surprisingly good widowmaker. I can do well as DPS because my aim is good from past FPS experience.

Tank, however… Roadhog, Zarya and Sigma are the only ones I can play, but I still hate the amount of stuns they get. I can’t tank to save my life.

I’ve played DPS a lot, I play Mei/Sym/Sombra and occasionally Ashe, but I’m just terrible at DPS no matter how I cut it. I just have really poor aim.

There is aim trainers via Custom Games / Workshops and FFA. Also the reply was meant for OP in terms of what DPS they might want to pick up but glad you have a good starting set of people to work with. Hope one day your aim improves.

Keep playing and practicing. Learning takes time, repetition, and patience.

I’ve worked on my aim for a long time, but it hasn’t gotten anywhere. I’ve accepted the fact that I can only carry once in a blue moon.

As long as you have fun then all is okie in my book.

Mei is completely viable for people with no aim, because her icicle is huge and easy to plonk people with, plus her ice spray is hella useful. Also, ice walls, hello, practically like being a temporary tank. Torb is horribly fun, mostly because you can throw down the turret as a distraction, pop your armor boost, and go crazy shooting people when they don’t expect it. Also a pretty forgiving aim mechanic. Reaper requires low aiming skill, just the ability to escape when you’re in trouble. Lots of options that don’t require godlike aim!

1 Like

Same, I don’t play enough of this game to keep my mechanical skill up for heroes like McCree, but I’m somehow still diamond Zen/Ana and Doom.

Same tho. OW is my first FPS and my aim just doesnt seem to get better, lol. Maybe im too old. I guess playing at 20 fps at minimum graphix doesnt help much either.

I used to be around gold before roleQ. Then i played dmg role when my hand was still healing from injury and dropped to low silver and couldnt climb up. im a team player, but at those ranks there is no teamwork, and since my aim is bad, i cant yolocarry. So rip that ^^. Havent played dmg for multiple seasons now. Pretty much only play tank nowadays. Seems to fit me alot better.

I’ve never played multiplayer FPS before OW.

Initially I was in gold playing all the heroes a little (it was way before role queue). Then i picked a bunch of ones that i found i could reliably carry as (Junkrat, Reaper, Pharah, Roadhog) and started climbing.

Eventually i hit GM by onetricking Junkrat. It was hard because he’s garbage at such ELO, but i made it. Not bad for a person with no previous FPS experience.

Play other FPS, especially fast one.
Old school: Unreal tournament and Quake 3 Arena
New one: Doom eternal

My aim improved a lot

My aim is shy and only comes out in arcade lmao.

I just stick to tanks and Supports. I can aim with beams thankfully.

That’s probably a lot bigger issue than you realize. If you want to improve a bit you might try Aim Lab, a free program that can import your Overwatch settings so you can try various minigames to try and improve your aim. It can also help you realize which areas your are stronger or weaker in.

1 Like