I spent 2 years climbing from silver to GM, ask me anything (1.6k+ Views)(100+ reply)

The thing with Overwatch Comp SR system is that you have to constant. The MMR resets overtime of not playing so that might be the reason why you got placed with lower SR.
When climbing, try to focus on what you’re doing and not your teammates. In the elo, you can only change your performance and not your teammates.
Calculating SR is pretty rigged in my opinion. They should implement what they have in diamond and up into other ranks too. Because receiving only 18 sr for a win and 25 sr for a loss is making is so hard for the players to climb

2 Likes

+1 for open minded receptiveness

What’s your diet? :stuck_out_tongue:

On a more serious note: How many game does it take you to get to your ELO and how huge is the difference between your average ELO and your peak ELO?

Nice, thanks for the response man. What you stated in bold is been my manifesto as of late. I’m not trying to flank with Ana and kill half the team… I’m not an ana god. I’d rather focus on heals and stay alive. What keeps in alive in Gold is basically crouch-spam hiding & peaking only for hipfires.

However, in higher elo I would imagine that I’ll start getting punished. The reason I believe this is because what kills me most often are smart players or smurfs. Think a Pharah crouching indoors waiting for my team to push, and as soon as we do she pops out behind Rein shield & hits 2 direct-hit rockets; I’m dead. Similar with Reaper. Junk. Tracer. Genji. Doom. Etc. Those flanks are my biggest threat ATM. Sometimes I get lucky and win a duel by hitting a clutch sleep, then my entire team is there to clutch it. If I was off in my own distanced position, I would have to hope my combo works (which isn’t always possible with Reaper/Sombra/Doom)

There’s not really a average ELO that I stay in. Most recently that I can remember is that I was stuck 3900 - 3950. And before that is 3700~.

1 Like

This is no longer true. Groups and Matchmaking in Overwatch

2 Likes

LeaF, i congratulate and applaud your efforts in seeking to improve day after day, season upon season and year after year.

I am certain that many would appreciate the insight which only a player such as yourself can offer.

Also, and more importantly, given the dedication, work ethic, mental resilience and analytical thought which you have displayed and applied in your climb to Grandmaster Tier; i believe that these values would go a long way in making your life outside of the game a very good one as well.

MB then. Sorry I don’t really Duo queue or stack. Sorry!

Even if that’s true, getting out of silver, gold, plat, and diamond as a tank only isn’t easy at all. Once you get to Masters the DPS are good enough that you can play tank and climb. What I’m saying is in all probability you played with people who helped you rank through very large portions of this. If you were to buy a new account and solo queue as a tank you might not make it past plat.

Thanks man! you made my day :smiley:

1 Like

Does it help to stick to one role like barrier tank or main support?

You are welcome, sir.

This old man just says it as it is. =)

I was a genji main season 1&2. I was a pharah main season 3&4. I was a support main (Ana&Lucio) season 5. Season 6 I started to flex. Until season 10 I decided to mainly play main tank. All the hours (genji, pharah, rein, ana, lucio) can be seen on my career profile. I didn’t one trick main tank into GM. That’s also why I have less hours on Winston and especially Orisa
If you really want it I can sent you some screenshots of my career profile comp seasons. Even better, you can add me if you want, so you can see it.

2 Likes

This used to explicitly be true. I can provide references if you’d like but I really should do other things.

Now, it’s either explicitly not true or inferred to be no longer the case, I can’t remember which. The change, if any, was unannounced but Kaa and I noticed the discrepancy in official statements after the LFG system came into being.

It’s not at all clear when they stopped using the “synergy bonus” or, as I called it, the “Grouping Penalty”, but it was far too late, IMO.

Well, I think playing heros that are in the same role are helpful because they might share the mechanical and game sense. But I encourage playing at least 2 roles. I can play main tank, every healer, and pharah at a decent level (I’m 2000 rank pharah on overbuff I don’t know if that means anything…). But having the flexibility is essential to climb the ladder

1 Like

LeaF, pardon the questions but i am asking them for the sake of debunking or maybe reinforcing certain preconceptions which many may have:

1. Your age, if it is alright to ask? (many believe or disbelieve that age plays a crucial factor. I am one of those who believe that age does matter because if it does not, then Manu Ginobilli would not have just announced his retirement and John Stockton would still be playing)

2. Your occupation and daily hours devoted (i know that you spared 430 hours of your past 2 years improving yourself but how does that break down to hours per day and if you are working, how did you manage your time)

3. Your equipment used i.e. Monitor, PC, Mouse, Keyboard and sensitivity (many believe that to be in the Top Tier, a blazing fast PC with Top GPU and at least a 144mhz monitor is a requirement. Personally i do not think so, a 60mhz with a mid-range GPU would be fine although i admit that a low latency is imperative)

I may have more questions later, so bear with me, yeah? I am typing this while on work breaks.

P.S. Congratulations to achieving 4000+ SR. Well done, young sir =)

I am a Winston main finding it hard to climb out of silver. I feel like I do well every game but my team doesn’t. I know that sounds REAAALLLY typical for a silver player, but I climbed out of <500 into silver with Winston. Any tips or is Winston just a bad hero for lower ranks? I play a flanker/aggressive style of Winston.

It’s not that hard to climb I recently started playing playing if yk what I mean where as b4 i’ve played for fun and to mess around with friends. I was in silver yesterday morning and got to plat got three DC’s and then climbed back after getting knocked back to low gold from the DC’s i’m talking about 2050 and then climbed back to plat all in a matter of hours without losing one games other than the DC’s which i obviously can’t help. The point is that if people truly care about getting better then they will be able to if they don’t and they just wanna mess around then that’s fine but if they’re trying to and they don’t really really want to or they r eally really want to but they’re just not trying then that’s why you have to put in the effort then it becomes really easy there’s challenges along the way and it’s not going to be a cake walk but if you put in a lot of effort quickly you’re going to see a lot of result quickly. I’ve seen a lot of people go from bronze to diamond or silver to masters etc. big jumps in ranks mainly in a matter of 1 or 2 days just because they started to try and put in effort and/or started to notice their mistakes. Some people it’s a case of finding the right hero(es) like my case I didn’t play long yesterday that’s why I only was able to get 500 SR(essentially 900 SR) that and the DC’s. next season I’m gonna try for diamond. The heroes that I found for me were some DPS like tracer reaper, off-tanks, and supports because I’ve always been a very aware person and had good game sense once I learn the game. But, I come from a console background and only started play PC this year so I’m not very aim heavy I was when all i played was console I was almost masters at one point. So, I picked heroes that aren’t extremely aim dependent except for ana, zen, and mccree because that’s who I am I’m a shotcaller and a person who likes to know what’s going on. That’s why when I swapped to tank main and support secondary and playing reaper pharah tracer and mccree whenever no one plays dps (which, let’s be honest hardly happens) I started to climb without losing.

MORAL IT’S NOT HARD TO CLIMB IF YOU DROP THE EGO AND PICK HEROES THAT FIT WHO YOU ARE. IF YOU’RE MECHANICALLY SKILLED BUT HAVE BAD AWARENESS PICK REAPER OR DOOMFIST WHO HAVE A LOT OF HEALTH AND KILL POTENTIAL SO ARE VERY RARELY PUNISHED. PEOPLE WHO ARE EXTREMELY TALENTED IN BOTH ASPECTS SHOULD PICK PEOPLE LIKE GENJI TRACER MCCREE WIDOW AND PRETTY MUCH ANYONE IN THE GAME PEOPLE WHO ARE AVERAGE IN BOTH MAYBE PICK REIN OR ANA OR ZEN MAYBE SOLDIER HEROES LIKE THAT AND I PROMISE %90 OF YOU WILL GET TO MASTER OR GM.

The discrepancy in the statement was a typo and fixed within the day.