I need help with my gaming performance

Hey, thats kinda harsh. Im here for a civil discussion.

Truth, I’ve played this game on an OLD MSI laptop, a Midrange Alienware X51 R3, some mid-tier AMD equipment and NOW I run the game on a rig thats really pricey. I play Comp as needed and actually go to small-time tournaments twice a year. My thoughts stand. TBH if something in that price range works for you. Awesome. But if a player wants to be on top of their game. Something pounding out around 200FPS on a 144hz refresh monitor is necessary if they want to climb with hitscan heros. If you are tanking and healing you probably aren’t going to need something extremely hot to run. Seeing textures in great detail means more accuracy in hitscan, vs a distorted and “lagging” immage.

When it comes to tournament stuff. A 144hz refresh monitor MEANS that you can see that player for a split second faster, and of course reaction is the connection of your body to the keyboard and mouse. Hence mechanic switches, good optical sensors and pads that aren’t going to “skip” when you try and land that insane shot with McCree or widow. Playing on those membrane keyboards and low-tier factory mice just dont cut it.

Just don’t watch the how to video from The Verge. Good god that video was a trainwreck

2 Likes

Yeah… Stay away from The Verge, i mean, literally every TechYoutuber I have subscribed to made a video about why their build was bad and misinformative.

• Science Studio
  • Bitwit
  • TechYesCity

are just the ones off of the top of my head.

TheVerge had really no idea what they were doing.

save your money until you’re satisfied with the amount you have, and then buy parts.
don’t upgrade, don’t buy a whole new computer.
just keep saving until you can buy all the parts you want, and buy them all at once then.
there’s no point in buying parts 1 by 1 as the older parts will just age without being used.

my motto is always to just save and buy a bunch of kickass parts, they will last you longer (as in, be able to play max settings for longer until games start to become heavier).

2 Likes

I have a 350 ish laptop that runs at 1080p 100% at over 60, even with ultra msaa and high textures.

All I know is that the GPU will really set you back, just make stuff count.

1 Like

WOT

Also, you can take away mousepad, mouse, keyboard, monitor and HDD as he most likely posses that stuff already.

You most likely wont need extra cables as well. But lets leave it in there for good measure, you never know.

You have a high price point in there, its the OS.

Windows 10 Pro costs you around 5 bucks for an OEM license on amazon. Those licenses work perfectly fine (All my rigs except for my laptop run on them, which are about 14 by now, that are a nice 70 bucks instead of 1820, so theres that)

You can save a lot, 1700 seems a bit excessive. 165 for a case is also rather much.

I mean, sure, youre talking about the “ideal experience” for overwatch, but we want 1080p60 and nothing special.

Everything after that is bonus points, if I understood OP correctly

Maybe the focus was laid on performance at your model, not ff or batterylife

I have an Acer Travelmate P645MG which i bought new for the low price of 1100€. It cant run games for the sake of its life.

But the batterylife exceeds 10hours reguarly with rather heavy office use, the stuff its supposed to do gets done and its small and lightweight.

You can build a pretty decent PC with 850 bucks and you can easily reach 144 fps on overwatch.

Thats a true statement right there.

GPU prices are skyrocketing, but since the 2080 and 2080ti are launched with the 2070 following soon, we can expect the market to get disrupted at least a little bit and since the mining bubble is burst as well, 9series and 10series SKUs prices should be falling sooner or later.

But i think the GPU costs half the budget at least. In my list Ive gone with a 1070 for 300 bucks, and that is infact half his budsget and its the cheapest on I found.

This will give you “never go below 144 FPS” experience:
https://pcpartpicker.com/guide/gtYcCJ/modest-amd-gaming-build

This should give stable 60 FPS on lowest settings 1080p and it’s just $495.84 :
https://pcpartpicker.com/guide/K3QzK8/entry-level-intel-gaming-build

Pcpartpicker is a REALLY good site to help you. They even have something you can sign up for, and they email you price changes on parts daily. Another thing you should do is join the subreddit r/buildapc. Very knowledgeable and helpful people there.

In general, I’d also say, if you are looking at buying PC Parts, but don’t feel comfortable building it yourself.

Then find a tech savvy friend who will do it for you, and pay $50 to them on a nice lunch somewhere on a weekend. (I suggest somewhere with good smokehouse ribs and brisket).

They might also be pumped to play with you as a Teammate in-game.

build your own over time. It seems like that desktop might be hard to upgrade, if at all.

My husband built our first desktop like this when our budget was tight. We took money out of each check and bought the parts slowly over time. The graphics card was the most expensive.

You might be able to take out the harddrive/memory in your current computer for a new one too; that’ll save you some money.

It’s definitely doable to make a computer now for about a grand. It cost about $900 for mine (without the monitors because I already had them.) I opted for a small case versus the bigger ones to save space and money.

That’s almost my exact computer that I got from best buy, but it’s not a slim model.

I upgraded my powersupply and graphics card and now I get around 30-60fps.

However, I’m not sure how upgrading a slim model is.

I recommend either building a new computer, or buying a decent one (full sized) and upgrading it a little over time. (this is what I have done)

By looking at the page https:// support hp com/us-en/document/c05376769 you aren’t going to be able to add in a cheap GPU to improve your frames sadly.

You could build something like https ://pcpartpicker com/list/8ysFHh which would run much better than you have now and leave you the option to add in a dedicated GPU down the line when you needed the extra power. Performance of this would be in the ballpark of this https ://youtu.be/210tkGvTTiA

There are plenty of great YouTube guides on how to put computers together. You’re probably better off saving up slightly more than the parts I listed and going straight to a dedicated GPU like a gtx 1050ti /gtx 1060 /rx580 depending on how much you want to save up.

To reiterate this point:

I bought a pre-built gaming PC from Best Buy a couple years back. I can play the game on Ultra settings but only at like 65 FPS (I lower settings to get over 90 which is more than fine since my Monitor is only 72Hz).

• $850 for computer
  • Upgraded RAM to 16GB $200
  • Upgraded secondary drive from a WD Blue to a Firecuda $80
  • Mamba Mouse $60
  • Kraken Headset $70
  • Curved 27" Samsung Monitor $200
  • Firefly Mousepad $40

Total thus far is $1500 not including things like a Hard Drive cloning Kit, Chair, Desk, Display Port Cable, Speakers, USB hub, External Hard Drives, etc.

haha. Yes. Yes it was.

He can cut costs on the case, mobo, cooler, and gaming peripherals.

OW doesn’t need a top end gaming to enjoy or even competitive.

But a better PC will make for better gameplay.

You can actually just start your adventure in the pc gaming space with a 200-350 euro budget build, using a Ryzen 2200G or 2400G and then later adding a gpu, i found playing with the intergrated vega Apu with 8gb 2666mhz ram more than playable, at 720p 75% render scale you would get a framerate of about 90 on average and usually higher with some dips, if you want to, you could game at 50% renderscale and have a fantastic time. Even then, with €600 or more you could easily get a better cpu or better ram ALONG with a gpu like the gtx 1060, 970/980 (used) or an Rx 570/580. It’s really all about what budget you have, what games to play and how much you really NEED for that game.