I’m super confused about SR and ranks in competitive

I keep getting mixed reviews. In season 10 my SR high was 2399 gold, I lost a bunch of games afterwards and got down to silver, but was able to bring myself back up to gold before the end. This season so far, I won 1 placement match, and 6 losses. I’m stressing because I want to climb higher, and I want to know what determines ranking higher. Does the loss to win ratio even matter? Do my fire points matter, or the amount of gold medals? I feel like I do really well, but I’m sure everyone feels that way about themselves. If anyone has a straightforward answer, It would be greatly appreciated!

See How Competitive Skill Rating Works (Season 11), especially the summary.

1 Like

your previous rank has nothing to do with how you place this season. neither do wins/losses. its only based on how you performed. though you obviously perform better if you win sooooo.

you would if you performed like one. like i said its not based on how many wins you get but how well you do. so yah you can get 10 wins and be placed bronze. or 10 losses and be placed gm just because you still played at that rank even though you lost.

No. See Season 9 Placements Analysis, High Variance Explained The most important factor in placements is where you ended last season. After that, your win / loss ratio in placements. Performance has only a small effect.

because most people dont drastically improve over 3 days. but im sure if you put a t500 on an account that was bronze last season he would get near masters. or at least plat if the game takes into effect previous mmr.

I went 3 - 7 this season in placements. I placed only 30 SR below where I ended S10.

Don’t be worried too much about your placement W/L. They honestly mean nothing.

You and me both buddy

what you place every season once they changed the system is based off of how well you did. thats why after i had a losing streak before the season ended i proceeded to gain 350 sr when i placed. but when i ended the season at my season high i lost 50 sr when i placed. it only makes sense. previous season ranks have very little to do with how you place. why would a gm on a bronze account not place higher than bronze. the only thing holding you back would be the previous mmr you already had. which if you performed well or horribly enough would be minimal. the reason most everyone places around what they finished last season is because there havent been any differences in play.