I love jeff kaplan

Those aren’t mutually exclusive things, you know. They could have went all in on the correct path. Your opinion isn’t a fact. Jeff himself said that not everyone on the team thinks the game is too team reliant.

It doesn’t matter if they did everything in their power to make people use teamwork. It only matters what was the result. And in my opinion, it’s not. It’s the right level.

No more selfish than wanting the game to change from what it has been for the past 3 years to something that suits your tastes.

These are mutually exclusive things. The second you introduce carries, and make teamwork bypassable, it stops being team reliant.

5 Likes

weeeee! I found it! Gonna talk to papa jeff now! :drooling_face:

For a certain period of development time, not all of it. They loosened up a bit later.

In the current state of the game it largely means that for most balanced matches, it comes down to who is the weakest link, and that leads to a poor experience for both sides. It never feels like matches are won, only that you didn’t lose, and when matches are lost, you feel absolutely powerless. Sometimes that happens even before you lose, just based on reading the flow of the game. I don’t think it’s sustainable.

2 Likes

Nah. It usually feels like you won. And it usually feels like you could have done more to win a match you lost. There are times when you get morons on your team that you could never have won with, but it’s definitely worth the tradeoff of knowing with teamwork you can overcome any obstacle in the game. That the game doesn’t only revolve around one player. And that teamwork matters more than anything.

1 Like

I guess what I am saying is, that in 2020, feeling like you can deviate from teamplay a little bit in OW and have some success feels like a good thing, not a bad thing to me. " - Jeff Kaplan

Keep saying what you want. The devs are waking up. The game is going to become less team reliant, for the better.

<3 jeff.

If you read the comments, he also had these things to say about it.

So no, there is no guarantee the game will move in that direction. And not everyone on the team agrees with him. The latter comment is about 321, which this whole thing was about not a dev talking about the future direction of the game.

3 Likes

Well if it doesn’t go in that direction, I’ll just be one tricking genji on your team, never swapping, and never joining voice coms. Enjoy your team play game lol. Hope you like it. You got what you asked for.

So you’ll be no different than every other Genji that I play with on console. Got it.

4 Likes

I’ll also be playing pharah with a baptiste/moira against a widow/mccree if the time feels right.

Not in my experience. Often the difference between the two is a lucky teamwipe from the enemy team that happens to sync spawns and remove trickling.

That means you’re pretty screwed if you don’t have it. It was great back when I regularly played with a full stack but now it just makes everything feel terrible in comparison. I never feel like I’m playing the game properly.

1 Like

You can play whatever you want, so long as you don’t throw and try to work with the team. We’ll lose the one game together and then I’ll avoid you. :wink: :kissing_heart:

Wouldn’t have to worry about avoiding anyone if you’d just wake up, and realize the game would be better if individual players could make a bit more of an impact.

Great to see some positivity up in here. And I agree! That post from Jeff was pretty awesome. I always appreciate a perspective on game design, being a game programmer myself.

1 Like

I never played in a stack, so I guess I just don’t know what I’m missing. People generally try to do some loose grouping and coordinate ults at least when I play comp. Right now, because smurfs are free, it’s extremely common. And teams will sometimes call out a smurf, coordinate around defeating the smurf, and beat them with superior teamwork. It’s not all the time, but it feels good when that happens.

In other games I’ve played with this degree of smurfing, a lot of times you’d just end up being constantly spawnkilled. And it’s just really unfun.

It’s one of the reasons I have largely avoided the genre. The teamwork aspect of this game goes a long, long way in making this a much more enjoyable experience to me.

2 Likes

Or you can just get better than the smurf, and beat him yourself. Feels a lot better when you do something on your own.

Sure I would, because people throwing, feeding, and disastrous picks will always have an impact on a small team, objective based game. And that impact will be negative. And I’ll avoid them.

The primary thing it would do is exacerbate the problems with smurfing, and encourage the inferior experience you get in Quickplay to be all the time. Because Quickplay is already like this and it’s miserable.

Comp, where people actually give a crap about teamwork, is way more fun. Win or Lose.

Uhh, in the long run, bad teammates are going to cause you a lot more problems than smurfing.

Nah. Everyone and their brother has alternative accounts on console. They are free and infinite. This problem is much more impactful on console, imo.

A smurf has to intentionally throw to stay in your sr. So sometimes the smurf on the enemy team is going to be throwing, and sometimes the smurf is going to be on your team winning. It balances itself out.

We’re all trying to get better here right? So get to the GM smurfs level. I had a smurf on the enemy team once. I added him as a friend, and asked him for help. Gave some helpful advice.

It doesn’t matter if it would balance out. My point is about the fun of it, and the gameplay experience. I am not talking about climbing.

Teamwork being so effective against smurfing is one of the things that make this game fun. No opponent is a guaranteed loss. Will you win? Probably not. They are rocking that 84% winrate (or whatever) for a reason. But you have a shot. It’s like a raid boss. That makes the game more fun.

Overwatch feels best in comp where teamwork is valued than it does in Quickplay, where it is not. A close comp match with two teams working together crazy hard is peak Overwatch to me. Watching the lone Genji wipe out the enemy in Quickplay with a sick blade because they were all off trying to be their team’s carry instead of coordinating is not.

It’s fine if you think otherwise. It’s fine for when I just killing sometime. But when I want to play real Overwatch, when I think of Overwatch at its peak, I play comp.